IGNORED

Michael Beale - New QPR boss

Silvio Dante

Interesting appointment, several media outlets saying it’s all but done. No real playing experience although highly rated as a coach by Gerrard.

Dont think he’s managed/head coached at anything over U19, and no experience in any role at this level.

Strikes me as a very risky one - Villa have been ok rather than great since SG went in and there is an argument Rangers have improved since he left vis Europa League. That doesn’t smack to me of SGs coaching team being someone you’d immediately take a punt on. I think Gerrards opinion of Beale is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the appointment - may work out great but I’m not sitting here thinking it’s a coup.

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not too dissimilar to when Brentford took a punt on QPRs previous manager Mark Warburton - who also never made it as a pro footballer. 

I think fair play to QPR for thinking outside the box and avoiding the usual suspects on the managerial merry-go-round. 

Everybody's now looking for the next Steve Cooper or Graham Potter.........Beale may be the next one. I recall Gerrard saying he is the best coach he's ever worked with and that he left most of the training sessions and tactical work to him at Rangers as he didn't feel he could do it as well as him. Gerrard has hired him twice so he must rate him.

It's an interesting appointment. If it pays off, it could reap rewards. The risk is whether great coaches make great managers. Sir Alex Ferguson really rated Steve McLaren, another former QPR manager, as a coach but obviously his managerial record was more mixed.  But all managerial appointments are a risk and this risk seems as sensible as any. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 10:44, Silvio Dante said:

Interesting appointment, several media outlets saying it’s all but done. No real playing experience although highly rated as a coach by Gerrard.

Dont think he’s managed/head coached at anything over U19, and no experience in any role at this level.

Strikes me as a very risky one - Villa have been ok rather than great since SG went in and there is an argument Rangers have improved since he left vis Europa League. That doesn’t smack to me of SGs coaching team being someone you’d immediately take a punt on. I think Gerrards opinion of Beale is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the appointment - may work out great but I’m not sitting here thinking it’s a coup.

Think Gerrard has always been the man manager and Beale is the “brains” between them. A lot of Rangers/Villa fans seem to think it will be a big loss but similarly you’d expect Gerrard to have some knowledge about tactics and have the contacts to replace him in the coaching staff

I’m really, really enjoying young British coaches being given these sorts of jobs. Same as FGR going for Ian Burchnall after losing Rob Edwards, MK getting Manning etc etc feels like there’s a natural progression for coaches up the leagues now & hopefully the merry go round of ‘samey’ older experienced managers is slowing down across the EFL 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’m really, really enjoying young British coaches being given these sorts of jobs. Same as FGR going for Ian Burchnall after losing Rob Edwards, MK getting Manning etc etc feels like there’s a natural progression for coaches up the leagues now & hopefully the merry go round of ‘samey’ older experienced managers is slowing down across the EFL 

I would like us to evolve into this in future, but would love to see Nige still involved.  We needed Nige’s experience of building teams when Holden went, especially in this financial climate.  Whether he would stay on as “Football Director” type role I doubt it, but I’d love it if he was around for a good while yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Beale leaving Villa for QPR has caused a domino effect - Neil Critchley has quit Blackpool to go to Villa today 

Critchley was at Liverpool of course and highly regarded by Klopp.

Still, unusual for somebody to go from being a manager to an assistant. Though I imagine Villa are paying him a lot more than Blackpool did.

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Really don’t understand this. He left Liverpool to take up a managers position . Does a really good job to go back as a number two ?

15 hours ago, chinapig said:

Critchley was at Liverpool of course and highly regarded by Klopp.

Still, unusual for somebody to go from being a manager to an assistant. Though I imagine Villa are paying him a lot more than Blackpool did.

Assistant to Gerrard, maybe Gerrard is more concerned with man Management and gives his coaches a freer reign?

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Assistant to Gerrard, maybe Gerrard is more concerned with man Management and gives his coaches a freer reign?

It's generally been reported that Beale was the coaching brain in the partnership so the same may be true of Critchley. Nothing wrong with that, not all managers are hands on coaches.

But Critchley has moved away from being the boss at Blackpool to being the right hand man at Villa, which is not the usual career path. Which again is fine, he may just have found that he prefers it that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

It's generally been reported that Beale was the coaching brain in the partnership so the same may be true of Critchley. Nothing wrong with that, not all managers are hands on coaches.

But Critchley has moved away from being the boss at Blackpool to being the right hand man at Villa, which is not the usual career path. Which again is fine, he may just have found that he prefers it that way.

I think it’s very common, from the looks of the Robins uncut it seems training seems to be taken by the other coaches whilst Pearson watches on. Sir Alex Ferguson apparently never took training either and left it to his coaches

• Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 18:27, steviestevieneville said:

Really don’t understand this. He left Liverpool to take up a managers position . Does a really good job to go back as a number two ?

He wasn't an assistant at Liverpool he was a U18/23 coach. Still a strange move though I agree although Villa seem to be splashing the cash so would think he's at least doubled his money by going there.

• Like 1