IGNORED

Awful Bristol World "journalism"

Bat Fastard

It’s not awful as the article is repeating a forecast made by others. As Bristol World operates on a budget of approx 5p per week it’s got to get a lot of its content from other sources. If it didn’t do that it would have little content. With these type of online news  sites there is often little “journalism” in the traditional sense with proper reporters going out and getting stories and scoops. The best places for original stuff is on the forum. A lot of it is crazy but at least it’s entertaining 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was referring to a term used for a covert informant........and you immediately think of Linda Lovelace! Maybe that is telling!

I’m pretty sure it was used in your sense in the Woodward/Bernstein Watergate investigation (“All the President’s Men” covered it as a film). It did refer back to LL of course.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s not awful as the article is repeating a forecast made by others. As Bristol World operates on a budget of approx 5p per week it’s got to get a lot of its content from other sources. If it didn’t do that it would have little content. With these type of online news  sites there is often little “journalism” in the traditional sense with proper reporters going out and getting stories and scoops. The best places for original stuff is on the forum. A lot of it is crazy but at least it’s entertaining 

Yup.

Local journalism these days consists of a hopeful media studies graduate on minimum wage trawling Facebook, Twitter, forums, court lists and Rightmove for their requisite five stories a day.

A school friend was editor of two local papers before being made redundant because they couldn't cover a decent salary; the contrast in the staffing of a local paper between when he started, late eighties, to now was amazing.

Then you had several reporters out on the road, finding stories and interviewing people through the week plus a sports desk.

These days nobody gets to spend even half a day on one story. Which is a shame.

If there's a decent story on this forum them they'll print it because they need to keep generating content.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was referring to a term used for a covert informant........and you immediately think of Linda Lovelace! Maybe that is telling!

What could also be telling, is that you knew the name of the star of the film :whistle2: 

:rofl2br:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

You say it was a film? I thought it was a book. Maybe you know a bit more about this stuff than you are letting on!

*cough

Google, I Googled the name you said. Which obviously I've forgotten, because I never knew it in the first place. And definitely not watched the film several times .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

*cough

Google, I Googled the name you said. Which obviously I've forgotten, because I never knew it in the first place. And definitely not watched the film several times .

I actually knew there was a film although I have never seen it. When I was very young I had to "house sit" for my old boss and I found the book in his book case. I never looked at him in the same way again!

• Haha 1