IGNORED

Clifton Rocks Railway

phantom

A comparison of then and now: no roaring traffic, no concrete columns, a gentler way of life on the Portway. Didn't last too long.

I did visit it a few years ago on DOD, but not sure if the present organisers include it still. The charity that runs the site may have their own days, although the website is not too clear. If you can go in it's worth it. Hopes are that it can be properly presented as a museum, and the stuff that's there is interesting as it stands. Some parts are (were) a little home-made, but the history is there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Antman said:

i think it was used as a shelter during WW2.

Prob is if they opened it up, it would spill you out directly into roaring traffic at the bottom! that and the Colonnades (the houses just along a bit) have been sacrificed to the traffic sadly.

The BBC used it during the war (I think).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Yes, you can arrange a visit , I did it a few years ago and it was very interesting.

i did it too with my old uncle. it was very interesting, my uncle knew as much if not more than the guide on some things which made it a bit of a long tour as everything was talked about in great detail.some of which was fascinating . not fot those with dodgy hips,its a tad steep

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i did it too with my old uncle. it was very interesting, my uncle knew as much if not more than the guide on some things which made it a bit of a long tour as everything was talked about in great detail.some of which was fascinating . not fot those with dodgy hips,its a tad steep

my memory is shot these days but wasnt there a room they used as some sort of theatre?