IGNORED

Scotland v Ukraine

Malago

Just now, Robbored said:

And what did they do in ‘74 of ‘78? apart from qualifying for the WC?

Guess that in itself was more than England managed. Anyone seriously suggesting Scotland have never had good players has a short memory of both Scotland and City, given our best team ever was awash with Scots. 

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Guess that in itself was more than England managed. Anyone seriously suggesting Scotland have never had good players has a short memory of both Scotland and City, given our best team ever was awash with Scots. 

To be fair Robbored did say enough quality players which is fair comment, of course they have had some over the years but maybe not enough at the same time.

3 hours ago, pillred said:

To be fair Robbored did say enough quality players which is fair comment, of course they have had some over the years but maybe not enough at the same time.

Can’t ever recall England having a better ‘spine’ than Scotland had the ‘80s of Hansen, Souness & Dalglish, but you’re right, not enough good players at the same time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I never said that Scotland haven’t had some good players, they have never had enough strength in depth and what amuses me about the Scottish fans is that they think they’re great.  

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Can’t ever recall England having a better ‘spine’ than Scotland had the ‘80s of Hansen, Souness & Dalglish, but you’re right, not enough good players at the same time

Moore, Charlton, Greaves and probably Adams, Gazza, Shearer

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I never said that Scotland haven’t had some good players, they have never had enough strength in depth and what amuses me about the Scottish fans is that they think they’re great.  

Not sure many Scottish supporters think we’re great, we just support as other supporters do. Similar to City we have to hang on to occasional highlights, whilst accepting endless disappointment - often at the same time, eg the ludicrous 1978 World Cup results of losing to Peru, drawing with Iran, but beating the Netherlands. It’s difficult to be hubristic supporting Scotland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

They were arguably better than England in the 70s. But that's 50 years ago.

Dicksy created a top-flight team here using a strong pool of Scottish players; when McInnes tried to do the same 10 years ago, the quality gap was stark. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not sure many Scottish supporters think we’re great, we just support as other supporters do. Similar to City we have to hang on to occasional highlights, whilst accepting endless disappointment - often at the same time, eg the ludicrous 1978 World Cup results of losing to Peru, drawing with Iran, but beating the Netherlands. It’s difficult to be hubristic supporting Scotland. 

Try listening to Jim White on TalkSport! You’d think that they’re world beaters.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Try listening to Jim White on TalkSport! You’d think that they’re world beaters.

No doubt, and sure there are some England fans who are astonished every time the World Cup doesn’t come home, that doesn’t equate to all England supporters having lost the plot. Not sure audience seeking media folk equate to the views of a nation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, harrys said:

And yet Hansen wasn’t first choice…the Aberdeen pairing of Miller and McLeish favoured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And yet Hansen wasn’t first choice…the Aberdeen pairing of Miller and McLeish favoured.

That was bizarre, what a player Hansen was though, too good to be British !!!!

Gordon McQueen & Kenny Burns were also around as well in late 70’s early 80’s

• Like 1

If we’re to pick a joint England/Scotland team based in my lifetime of football watching it would be along the lines of

Banks

Wilson McKay Moore McGrain

Jimmy Johnstone Gasgoine Charlton Peters

Greaves Dalglish

Thats 4 Scots  and 7 Englishman

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

If we’re to pick a joint England/Scotland team based in my lifetime of football watching it would be along the lines of

Banks

Greaves Dalglish

Assuming the Wilson you have at right back is Ray, and not Kane, I thought he was more a left back - George Cohen was our World Cup winning right back.

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

Banks

Greaves Dalglish

Very difficult to pick and I'd probably change my mind a dozen or more times but for now I'd go with

Banks, Neville G, Terry, Moore, McGrain, Beckham, Baxter, Charlton R, Cooper D, Shearer, Dalglish

The bench would include Shilton, Neal, Cole, McFarland, McKay, Johnstone J, Bell, Ball, Barnes, Greaves, and McCoist