Jump to content
IGNORED

The East End 8 Years ago today


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Eight years ago today i took this photo In the East End. Don't remember the game but it means a lot to me. Lots of faces here. I miss it a lot. COYR

FB_IMG_1654196576410.jpg

Last game in the Eastend against Crewe (0-0), but it wasn’t 8 years ago today mate. 
This was one week before the end of the season which finished on May 3rd.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Last game in the Eastend against Crewe (0-0), but it wasn’t 8 years ago today mate. 
This was one week before the end of the season which finished on May 3rd.

 

Fair enough. Facebook is lying to me 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Last game in the Eastend against Crewe (0-0), but it wasn’t 8 years ago today mate. 
This was one week before the end of the season which finished on May 3rd.

 

Think that was the same day Rovers secured their league status away at wycombe.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Fair enough. Facebook is lying to me 🤣

If it came up as a ‘memory’ it just means you posted it on this day 8 years ago. I don’t remember any events after the end of the season that allowed fans back in to the stand BUT I could be wrong. I thought work started quite soon after the final game....could be that they started tearing it down on the 2nd June? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great picture and I used to love being in the EE for the atmosphere but the rest of the stadiums atmosphere died as soon as the club opened the EE to home fans again.

Obviously the facilities were worse than bad but that's not really why I go to football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

When the Gas open their impressive new stadium (in August I believe) I wonder how long it will be before they get all nostalgic for the good old days of tents?😉

Looking at most of their fans they’re already very nostalgic for the 70s judging by their clothes, hairstyles and attitude towards ethnic minorities.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Great pic, good memories of the old ground. Much preferred to the soulless ground today. But that’s progress apparently.

What has soul? The ground or the people in it? How many times was it really like that in the last 20 years of it existence? I still think that the Man Utd game was the best atmosphere I can remember since the 70's. I don't think it would have been bettered by crumbling masonry and the stink of urine from toilet block.

If Pearson can get the team playing, the atmosphere will ramp up accordingly.

  • Like 14
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What has soul? The ground or the people in it? How many times was it really like that in the last 20 years of it existence? I still think that the Man Utd game was the best atmosphere I can remember since the 70's. I don't think it would have been bettered by crumbling masonry and the stink of urine from toilet block.

If Pearson can get the team playing, the atmosphere will ramp up accordingly.

This. I loved being in the EE in the seventies and eighties with the atmosphere, the edge and sense of danger that it had and the memories I have but in truth it was a terrible place with rain pouring through the many holes in the roof and piss up to your ankles.

I`m glad I experienced it - it was a rite of passage for those of us of a certain age - but I wouldn`t want to go back to it now.

  • Like 3
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

What has soul? The ground or the people in it?

Both I'd say. I'd compare the old Gate and East End to my family home which my parents moved into when I was 6 months old and was finally sold 55 years later.

No mod cons, central heating, double glazing etc for many years, roof not so good, freezing first thing in the morning in the Winter but it was gradually updated and became more comfortable and though daily life, like football matches, was often mundane, so many great occasions and memories there.

Even after I left home I went back to see my parents probably once a week so the old house was always there. Every visit was going home in the true sense of the word just like the old Ashton Gate, with all it's memories, was my home in a football sense.

Home is where the heart is and as comfortably functional as the new stadium may be, my heart remains in the memory of the turnstiles, concrete steps, crush barriers, tiny snack bars, floodlight pylons, dodgy roof, and even the very basic toilets of the stadium which first made me fall in love with Bristol City F.C.

I miss it.

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Both I'd say. I'd compare the old Gate and East End to my family home which my parents moved into when I was 6 months old and was finally sold 55 years later.

No mod cons, central heating, double glazing etc for many years, roof not so good, freezing first thing in the morning in the Winter but it was gradually updated and became more comfortable and though daily life, like football matches, was often mundane, so many great occasions and memories there.

Even after I left home I went back to see my parents probably once a week so the old house was always there. Every visit was going home in the true sense of the word just like the old Ashton Gate, with all it's memories, was my home in a football sense.

Home is where the heart is and as comfortably functional as the new stadium may be, my heart remains in the memory of the turnstiles, concrete steps, crush barriers, tiny snack bars, floodlight pylons, dodgy roof, and even the very basic toilets of the stadium which first made me fall in love with Bristol City F.C.

I miss it.

Oh well. There are many things I miss from across my 60 years, my memories of being in the old East end are still there but I don't feel it was instrumental in the creation of them. I know it's not coming back and I want to see new memories created in this stadium, like that United game and a few others

I feel a bit of pride when people who have attended a variety of events at the new stadium, praise it highly, something that would never have happened the way it was.

The creation of the new ground was necessary and vital for our future, you only have to look up to the north of the city to see that there is only one way old stadiums go. No matter how much you make do and mend the infrastructure, you are generally throwing money into a pit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What has soul? The ground or the people in it? How many times was it really like that in the last 20 years of it existence? I still think that the Man Utd game was the best atmosphere I can remember since the 70's. I don't think it would have been bettered by crumbling masonry and the stink of urine from toilet block.

If Pearson can get the team playing, the atmosphere will ramp up accordingly.

Grounds that have “soul” today are grounds linke Goodson, Elland road, etc. AG is like a library most games. Too many happy clappers nowadays, and as others have stated, no needle. Miss the atmosphere of the old East End, the Dolman B Block, or the enclosure. And let’s not forget the old Park End.

What has the new ground got?

Edited by Tin Soldier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Grounds that have “soul” today are grounds linke Goodson, Elland road, etc. AG is like a library most games. Too many happy clappers nowadays, and as others have stated, no needle. Miss the atmosphere of the old East End, the Dolman B Block, or the enclosure. And let’s not forget the old Park End.

What has the new ground got?

Agreed . Has nothing to do with the stadium it’s down to the fans to make the noise . Teams like Leeds make noise no matter how bad  their playing and even if they moved ground the noise wouldn’t change . 
 

The cosy nature of the club over the last few years has completely sucked out the atmosphere.

Edited by Wiltshire robin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the 50+ years (gulp) following this Club the playing side has under-achieved, sometimes massively. Wouldn’t have wished though to have supported another Club, primary reason being the Ashton Gate experience, both in its past and current guise. 

The old stadium was brilliant, the East End, Park End, Grandstand Paddock, Dolman A. Few Clubs could you have done a complete circuit of the Ground over decades and stood, sat amongst the most passionate, colourful characters. Ever changing, sometimes moody, edgy but always lively and fun. 

Suppose getting older, you mellow so the new stadium fits my needs now and is something for us and Bristol to be proud of. 

The stadium’s been superb, but so has the entire area which contributes to the great match day experience. The pubs - sadly many gone - Ship and Castle, Wedlocks but now replaced by the pub crawl along the docks … the park, the cricket club, the side streets and The Cut all part of the rich tapestry of match day. 
 

Brilliant. If only we had delivered a team to match. Hopefully, Nige will deliver.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going down the memory lane route . I remember watching matches on The Marsh (very aptly named) on Winterstoke Rd on the way to matches many years ago, indeed I played there myself on occasions. Missed ko in the ground a few times if the match was really good. 

What an atmosphere there was at the Gate with the old stands. I suppose its progress but something was lost with the redevelopment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What has soul? The ground or the people in it? How many times was it really like that in the last 20 years of it existence? I still think that the Man Utd game was the best atmosphere I can remember since the 70's. I don't think it would have been bettered by crumbling masonry and the stink of urine from toilet block.

If Pearson can get the team playing, the atmosphere will ramp up accordingly.

Fingers crossed we'll soon have the whole ground rocking. With the exception of the United game we've struggled to get any meaningful atmosphere since all the singers got put into one small area.

I don't miss the East End itself, but being amongst the atmosphere of it was great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...