IGNORED

Lights of my life…

EasyZider

Me and my mates were chatting about our earliest memories of the 'Gate over a few bottles of cider in our garden yesterday.

We're all kids of the 1950s and as the Lilley's flowed you may be surprised to learn that we began to disagree on some issues. This is where I need your help.

The original floodlights from 1953 were set on individual stanchions dotted around the outside of the pitch. Some bloke had to walk round and turn them on one  by one. But one of us argued that these supports were hinged and could be folded down when not in use. I argued that he was talking bollocks.

Is there anyone out there with a better memory than me about these glorified car headlights on a big stick?

Answers, on a postcard, to the usual address…

? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?

2 hours ago, EasyZider said:

Me and my mates were chatting about our earliest memories of the 'Gate over a few bottles of cider in our garden yesterday.

We're all kids of the 1950s and as the Lilley's flowed you may be surprised to learn that we began to disagree on some issues. This is where I need your help.

The original floodlights from 1953 were set on individual stanchions dotted around the outside of the pitch. Some bloke had to walk round and turn them on one  by one. But one of us argued that these supports were hinged and could be folded down when not in use. I argued that he was talking bollocks.

Is there anyone out there with a better memory than me about these glorified car headlights on a big stick?

Answers, on a postcard, to the usual address…

? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?

‘as the Lilley's flowed you may be surprised to learn that we began to disagree’

He’s havin a go at the Lilleys now. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, marmite said:

That's the fella.  Lived next door to him for a while. Good recall.

I worked with his son for a while, looked nothing like him.

As I remember he was pretty handy throwing the board rubber, and using the dap?

Nicholls, Griffin and Legg I remember.

For some reason I think Mr. Reingart was the headmaster?..... Don't know if this is correct or how that name came into my head.

Nicholls also taught recorder,  and P.E. He used to smash the cricket ball all over the place when we bowled to him.... nearly took my head off one day.

I went to Connaught Rd school and when we played Novers Lane at football "Mr Nicholls" their football teacher used to either referee or run the line. He would really tear into the team shouting and bawling and generally berating them. Even as a 10 year olds we felt this was over the top and not very dignified for a teacher. "Big" Mr Davis our sports teacher, as opposed to another teacher "Little" Mr Davis, was the complete opposite always encouraging and giving advise.

I then went to Hengrove School and in my class was Mr Nicholls daughter who I believe had gone to Knowle Park Junior School. She wouldn't believe the stories I told her about how her dad behaved at school football matches telling us he was such a quiet man. Strange what football can do at all levels.

2 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I worked with his son for a while, looked nothing like him.

As I remember he was pretty handy throwing the board rubber, and using the dap?

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

Nicholls, Griffin and Legg I remember.

For some reason I think Mr. Reingart was the headmaster?..... Don't know if this is correct or how that name came into my head.

Nicholls also taught recorder,  and P.E. He used to smash the cricket ball all over the place when we bowled to him.... nearly took my head off one day.

He was very handy with the dap!!! I still have red marks.

I remember the other teachers mentioned too. I also remember him at cricket. He used to ball faster than Fred Trueman and then shout at me for backing away from the stumps before he even let go of the ball.