IGNORED

Jubilee - long serving City fans

MattWSM

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately, all my family were Rovers supporters (I don’t fold it against them) so I couldn’t watch a City match until I was able to make my own way to the ground. This was about 1960, though I can’t remember the date or the match. Although I lived in Kingswood it wasn’t a problem getting to there as, in those days, there were bus “specials” that ran from all over the City directly to Ashton Gate. 

Is that when we bought origami?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately, all my family were Rovers supporters (I don’t hold it against them) so I couldn’t watch a City match until I was able to make my own way to the ground. This was about 1960, though I can’t remember the date or the match. Although I lived in Kingswood it wasn’t a problem getting to there as, in those days, there were bus “specials” that ran from all over the City directly to Ashton Gate. 

Letter "L" from Knowle West.

• Like 1

I don't remember my first game, but the first game I remember was a 4-0 home win V Charlton. My cousin was a Charlton fan and came to stay with us and go to the game, I also remember telling him about my favourite players on our way to the ground so clearly not my first game. I have looked this up in the past and it was September '66, I was 4. 

If I take it from that game that's 56 years, but I am claiming longer.

The odd thing is that for some reason we played Charlton away only 2 weeks later,  which was definitely my first away game, I was obviously very confident after the home game.......... We lost 5-0. ?

The joys of being a City fan were instilled early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately, all my family were Rovers supporters (I don’t hold it against them) so I couldn’t watch a City match until I was able to make my own way to the ground. This was about 1960, though I can’t remember the date or the match. Although I lived in Kingswood it wasn’t a problem getting to there as, in those days, there were bus “specials” that ran from all over the City directly to Ashton Gate. 

outside the jolly cobbler 

1967 FA Cup 4th round (I think) 1-0 win against Southampton.

Still the best game because nothing else has, or will ever, match the excitement and expectation of the young me coming to the top of the terracing between the enclosure and East End and seeing the green of the pitch and more people in one place than I'd ever seen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

1986 V Hereford...Freight Rover Semi Final 2nd leg. Great first game. Thought it was always gonna be like that. Little did I know. 36 years.

Wow, what a game to get you hooked.

Mine was Jack Connor’s testimonial in 1971. Lost to Wolves 1-2. I’m over my Golden Jubilee! 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What is worth pondering is that anyone who has been supporting us for over 42 years has been doing so for a third of the entire time the club has been in existence. If you can claim over 64 years you have done a half!

I must be one of those having been taken by my Uncle Tom, a St John Ambulance man, in the 1949/50 season.

Cannot remember the match but I know Arnold Rodgers, Dennis Roberts. George Lowery, Alec Eisenstrager, John Atyeo and many of the team were my idols in the following years. Always in the East End, but went in the side enclosures for the Reserve's games. Chasing a loose ball in front of the wooden stand, fell took skin off my knees but must have stayed to the end.

The packed crowds for the Rovers games were amazing, bells, whistles and rattles and marching bands at halftime.

Can remember Tom Burden arriving and he worked at Clark's Shoe factory.

Saw early floodlit match against a Scottish club, maybe East Fife or St Mirren, cant remember.

Arthur Milton was a cricketer who played as well and can remember the likes of Jimmy Hill running onto the pitch with his chin stuck out!

Lasted until the early 60's when moved to North Cornwall for work where I still live.

Next door farm belongs to Johnnie Brown, once of Argyle and Rovers fame and still meet him now and then.

Still follow online, but must admit my wife wonders why?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

1967 FA Cup 4th round (I think) 1-0 win against Southampton.

Still the best game because nothing else has, or will ever, match the excitement and expectation of the young me coming to the top of the terracing between the enclosure and East End and seeing the green of the pitch and more people in one place than I'd ever seen.

Sir Terry Bush, at the open end !

I moved to Somerset (Sandford) in 1968 aged 12. First game was probably in the 1968-9 season. The first I remember, though, was v Swindon, which I suppose was March 1970; they had just won the League Cup as a Third Division team and Don Rogers had become quite famous.

I wasn’t  a local and didn’t instantly become a City fan - Ashton Gate was just the closest place my Dad could take us to watch football. Prior to that, we’d been in Yorkshire for a couple of years and he’d had a season ticket at Elland Road. So, for a while, I was a Leeds fan who also watched Bristol City. Gradually, as it does, the tide turned.