IGNORED

Jubilee - long serving City fans

MattWSM

Can remember watching City playing Everton in League Cup and getting hammered 5-0, maybe 1967, stood on terracing where Dolman Stand now is, Alan Ball playing. Next time I saw a World Cup winner play was when City beat Fulham 6-0 with George Cohen playing for them, 1969.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Sir Terry Bush, at the open end !

?

38,000 odd in the ground that day and it felt like all of them rushed  down behind me in the East End after the goal went in!

I think I left the ground without my feet touching the ground, such was the crush. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

1957, can't remember the game but remember dad sitting me on the wall in the corner of the East End, then just known as the Covered End. Before that I used to stand outside our house in Stackpool Road and listen for the crowd roar when City scored.

Could you hear the crowd roar"FFS!" when we conceded? :D

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I moved to Somerset (Sandford) in 1968 aged 12. First game was probably in the 1968-9 season. The first I remember, though, was v Swindon, which I suppose was March 1970; they had just won the League Cup as a Third Division team and Don Rogers had become quite famous.

I wasn’t  a local and didn’t instantly become a City fan - Ashton Gate was just the closest place my Dad could take us to watch football. Prior to that, we’d been in Yorkshire for a couple of years and he’d had a season ticket at Elland Road. So, for a while, I was a Leeds fan who also watched Bristol City. Gradually, as it does, the tide turned. 

Since you became a City fan the tide has been mainly out - a la Weston-Super-Mare Beach!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Think it was Preston. Lost 0:1. Tom Finney pretended to be concussed, and there was a lot of "shit housery." The ref was a disgrace.

@Bristol Oil Services

As far as I can trace, Tom Finney never played for PNE at Ashton Gate in a league game because Preston were in the First Division from his entire career at the club from 1946 to 1960 and no FA Cup game either.

Also, the great majority of players, then, did not fake injuries. Finney, like Atyeo and many others, were never given cautions (now yellow card) let alone a sending off.

Finney played in an FA Cup match at Rovers around 1957/8 and I saw that match.

Stan Matthews only appeared once at City in a Cup game circa 1958

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KernowRed said:

I must be one of those having been taken by my Uncle Tom, a St John Ambulance man, in the 1949/50 season.

Cannot remember the match but I know Arnold Rodgers, Dennis Roberts. George Lowery, Alec Eisenstrager, John Atyeo and many of the team were my idols in the following years. Always in the East End, but went in the side enclosures for the Reserve's games. Chasing a loose ball in front of the wooden stand, fell took skin off my knees but must have stayed to the end.

The packed crowds for the Rovers games were amazing, bells, whistles and rattles and marching bands at halftime.

Can remember Tom Burden arriving and he worked at Clark's Shoe factory.

Saw early floodlit match against a Scottish club, maybe East Fife or St Mirren, cant remember.

Arthur Milton was a cricketer who played as well and can remember the likes of Jimmy Hill running onto the pitch with his chin stuck out!

Lasted until the early 60's when moved to North Cornwall for work where I still live.

Next door farm belongs to Johnnie Brown, once of Argyle and Rovers fame and still meet him now and then.

Still follow online, but must admit my wife wonders why?

@KernowRed

You've beaten me by a few weeks or months. My first was Good Friday 1950.

My Dad saw his first game around 1910 to 1914. Born in South Wales with a father born in Claverham, the family used to visit an uncle in Coronation Road. If City were home all men and boys went to the game. Dad moved to Bristol in mid 1930's and immediately resumed being a City fan. His last games attended were in 1983/4.

Ref floodlit games.

First year in 1953-4 Wolves, English champs, Cardiff City highest Welsh club and East Fife from near top of Scottish League.

Followed by East Fife again the next year and an endless number of European teams.

First league game under lights was Fulham in 1957.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zip Nolan said:

Can remember watching City playing Everton in League Cup and getting hammered 5-0, maybe 1967, stood on terracing where Dolman Stand now is, Alan Ball playing. Next time I saw a World Cup winner play was when City beat Fulham 6-0 with George Cohen playing for them, 1969.

@Zip Nolan

Couple of years ago, I bumped into Joe Royle when we played Wigan ( he is a director there?) I said I remember your first match here and he assumed I meant the four goals v Middlesbrough.

I meant an enthralling evening watching a superb walloping from Everton. It always hurts to see City lose but they were absolutely brilliant. West, Labone, Ball, Kendal, Young and Royle among a great team.

• Like 1

I probably went to some games in the late 60s, but as I was such a little nipper I can't remember them. 

I've got a shit memory for games and look on in wonder at people who can remember matches, incidents and even the weather from 50+ years ago.

I can remember being at the game Cashley scored and (non-City) I remember being at the Sunderland v Leeds FA Cup final, both 1973 I think, but I must've been at dozens of games before then but time has erased them from my mind.  

I’m pretty sure my first game would have been in 86 but don’t know who against. Earliest memories are Wembley for the Mansfield game, then us thrashing Doncaster 5-0 in 88 with Walshy getting a hat trick and Bobby Hutch notching as well - not sure of the other scorer.

family history of staunch City fans - including @CyderInACanand @oldstandrobin- going back pre First World War so presumably since inception of club. Although ironically our cousin married a R*vers player!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SuperDziek said:

I’m pretty sure my first game would have been in 86 but don’t know who against. Earliest memories are Wembley for the Mansfield game, then us thrashing Doncaster 5-0 in 88 with Walshy getting a hat trick and Bobby Hutch notching as well - not sure of the other scorer.

family history of staunch City fans - including @CyderInACanand @oldstandrobin- going back pre First World War so presumably since inception of club. Although ironically our cousin married a R*vers player!

If you live to a ripe old age, do you realise how many years you will have suffered! Say hallo to @oldstandrobin.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

March '74 for me, York city at home, Tom Ritchie hat trick in a 4-1 win. 48 years. 

That 4-1 York Game was 22/11/75 Ska

I have a distinct memory of that game of all games as it was my birthday and , more importantly we were IIRC on Match Of Day , which was unheard of - watching us win in style at the Gate and remember the thrill of the thought of us being on the tv to watch again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I have a distinct memory of that game of all games as it was my birthday and , more importantly we were IIRC on Match Of Day , which was unheard of - watching us win in style at the Gate and remember the thrill of the thought of us being on the tv to watch again 

It was also quite foggy.

25 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We won 4-1 away as well that season. 

My first time at Ashton Gate was a reserve game against Birmingham when I was five.  We won 4-2.  I also remember a school boy international against Wales.

I think my first first team game was a night game against Rotherham.  We lost 1-2.  Would have been 1966 or 1967.   So 55 years and counting for me

Edited by Malago

35 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks Shelts, November 75 then. :)

I was 3 when my parents first took me. They used to stand at the front, by the railings in the old East End.

At that time I used to take a tennis ball and other toys to play with in the walkway behind them because I didn't watch the game very much and would get bored.

That was 70 years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Robin 1