IGNORED

Jubilee - long serving City fans

MattWSM

15 hours ago, MattWSM said:

With Jubilee in mind, how many years service for Citys longest serving fans 

Taking it from the first time you attended a City game at AG or away, how many years are you at now.

My first game was v Liverpool at AG in Dec 78, so Im at 43 years 

Mine was circa 1963 ish. City vs Palace.

6 minutes ago, marmite said:

Memory  must be playing up again. Blimey, I ve been watching about 67 years. Surely I'm entitled to a free S/T soon.

Must admit that from age fourteen to early fifties I played regularly and only got to games when they didn't coincide with our matches. So I haven't suffered the same agony as other long time serving fans.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

I was 3 when my parents first took me. They used to stand at the front, by the railings in the old East End.

At that time I used to take a tennis ball and other toys to play with in the walkway behind them because I didn't watch the game very much and would get bored.

That was 70 years ago.  

You don't get bored now?

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

28/12/65 - The 'Floodlights' Fixture.

We lost.

About the same place in the hierarchy today as we were then.

Plus ca change.

Five weeks later for me. 5 Feb 66 home to Man City.

Wasn’t it Tommy Docherty (the Man U manager, not the City player) who once said that it was “good to see Bristol City back where they belong - 11th in the second division”? 

27 minutes ago, bredwood said:

We March 67 I think 1-1 vs Ipswich who were 1st Division Champions only 5 years earlier. I think I spent most of the game wondering why all the adults around me were swearing and getting agitated at the sight of 22 men running around chasing a ball.

55 years later you have learned the reason why!

56 minutes ago, Quedgeley Exile said:

Against Oxford I think. 0 - 0   1974 ..   

So 48 years 

Huge queues that day due to vouchers being given out to enable fans to get tickets for the Liverpool F.A. Cup game.

Very clever by City, you had to pay for that game to get a ticket for the Cup game.

Remember seeing many fans pay to get in, get their voucher, then leave the ground straight away. 

From memory the official attendance was almost 26k, in a season where City averaged 14k.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Five weeks later for me. 5 Feb 66 home to Man City.

Wasn’t it Tommy Docherty (the Man U manager, not the City player) who once said that it was “good to see Bristol City back where they belong - 11th in the second division”? 

Ha!

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Huge queues that day due to vouchers being given out to enable fans to get tickets for the Liverpool F.A. Cup game.

Very clever by City, you had to pay for that game to get a ticket for the Cup game.

Remember seeing many fans pay to get in, get their voucher, then leave the ground straight away. 

From memory the official attendance was almost 26k, in a season where City averaged 14k.

Next time we drew Liverpool in the cup, we managed to squeeze three games out of it and three times the ticket sales. Not as dim-witted as many like to think, the City board of directors

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

?

38,000 odd in the ground that day and it felt like all of them rushed  down behind me in the East End after the goal went in!

I think I left the ground without my feet touching the ground, such was the crush. 

As I remember it, there was some dispute (long before the dubious goals panel) whether the goal was an OG by that dirt cunt Cliff Huxford (who nearly maimed Lou Peters in the promotion decider at AG the previous Easter) !

6 hours ago, Zip Nolan said:

Can remember watching City playing Everton in League Cup and getting hammered 5-0, maybe 1967, stood on terracing where Dolman Stand now is, Alan Ball playing. Next time I saw a World Cup winner play was when City beat Fulham 6-0 with George Cohen playing for them, 1969.

Yes, but Jimmy Husband was the star of that game, tore our defence a new'un !

The worst side i'd seen up to that time, a very old Johnny Haynes played (if you could call it that), they went down that season. First to third in consecutive seasons!

For me my First game was around `74/`75. Always stood on the Open end, my Dad took me. I was put on the wall at the front behind the goal. He would stand halfway back up the steps, obviously to shout all good things to the Ref ! ?  Good times. 

BTW, My Grandad started going as a school kid in the 1920`s. Ashton Gate was on their way home from School. So with matches being played on Wednesday Afternoon (no floodlights back then) They used sneak under the turnstiles to watch the 2nd half of games. Standing on Crackers Corner. Some good stories were told from there  

1 hour ago, bredwood said:

We March 67 I think 1-1 vs Ipswich who were 1st Division Champions only 5 years earlier. I think I spent most of the game wondering why all the adults around me were swearing and getting agitated at the sight of 22 men running around chasing a ball.

Galley scored his fourth goal in three games, but I think Bill Baxter equalized late on .

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Were you still in the womb or was it your first week out in the fresh air?

And the only forward not to score was wearing number 11. Jantzen Derrick. The City crowd were urging on the Chichester amateurs to get at least one goal.

@nick jones of hereford

? I was 7 years old when we beat Chichester, it was 61 (or so) years ago. 
I was seven years out of the womb ?