IGNORED

Jubilee - long serving City fans

MattWSM

My old man kept taking me down Eastville, but I never felt the love. His sister, Deb was a mad city fan and took me along to Ashton Gate. 23 October 1971, vs Leyton Orient. I always remember us being 0-3 down at half time, but John Galley came on for the second half and we won 5-3. 

As an 8 year old it was manic, amazing and I was hooked. Didn’t miss many matches for about 8 years. Joined  The Army and for the next 24 years got to as many games as I could. Season ticket holder again as soon as I came back to Bristol. 

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Old Rascal said:

My old man kept taking me down Eastville, but I never felt the love. His sister, Deb was a mad city fan and took me along to Ashton Gate. 23 October 1971, vs Leyton Orient. I always remember us being 0-3 down at half time, but John Galley came on for the second half and we won 5-3. 

As an 8 year old it was manic, amazing and I was hooked. Didn’t miss many matches for about 8 years. Joined  The Army and for the next 24 years got to as many games as I could. Season ticket holder again as soon as I came back to Bristol. 

I was 9 and still remember that game. One of my top 5 City games.

• Like 1

The first game I remember at Ashton Gate was against Spurs in the League Cup Semi final 1st leg in December 1970.

Arranged to meet up with some friends from school outside and paid at the turnstiles along with 30 thousand others.

Getting on for 52 years then.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Old Rascal said:

Same as that but a bit later, in 1976 my mate's dad started taking us to Ashton Gate and Eastville on consecutive weeks. He was one of those blokes who just likes to watch a live game regardless of who is playing, which is fair enough I suppose.

But hold up, I'm 10, I'm not having any of that grown up, even-handed impartiality. Rovers were shit, their ground was a ramshackle shithole, the football was awful, their crowds were tiny and there was more atmosphere on the fricking moon.

Meanwhile City were playing top flight football against the finest teams in the land, in front of big crowds, with the East End making a deafening racket every week. And then they signed Norman Hunter. Well, let's just say after the first couple of weeks I started to become busy or otherwise unable to attend on the 'Eastville' weekends. :city:

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Seeing first game 1949/50 season, I must have been aware of the City before then, because in my class at Cheddar Grove school was Barbara, daughter of Sid Kearney who played for City. She later became Barbara K or KAY a singer often on radio and Tv.

During my Drawing office apprenticeship at a well known Midland Road engineering factory, I worked with Ken Sage for a fair time. Later he was able to help in the survival of Bristol City when he owned the Window Company, Alusage.

During the construction of the Williams stand, I sat on the concrete steps as my father knew the builder.

Memories keep coming back so will have another post soon, hopefully.

• Like 3
  • Robin 4

21 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If you live to a ripe old age, do you realise how many years you will have suffered! Say hallo to @oldstandrobin.

Hi there  , still around but sadly not renewed as working up the airport now ( at 71 !) and only saw 5 games last season.

My first was in 1958 v Leyton Orient when dad had made a small wooden stool for me and I stood with my back to the cowshed ( now the Dolman) Hence my name !!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

My first was in 1958 v Leyton Orient when dad had made a small wooden stool for me and I stood with my back to the cowshed ( now the Dolman) Hence my name !!

I wonder if that was the game we won about 5/6-0? My old man always used to say that Leyton Orient were the worst side he'd ever seen !

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I wonder if that was the game we won about 5/6-0? My old man always used to say that Leyton Orient were the worst side he'd ever seen !

It could well have been , its such a long time ago and I was 8 ! It obviously kept my interest and if I knew then what I know now, who knows what could have happened ?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I was 9 and still remember that game. One of my top 5 City games.

It all seemed to fall into place for me, we were right in the Eastend, the match was fantastic and I just loved the noise and the atmosphere. Hooked and the football became a big part of my life, wherever I was in the world. Even in the Falklands, I had a local reporter sending me match reports regularly.

On 04/06/2022 at 10:27, Redtrojan said:

1970,1-0 home loss to Sheffield United,sat on railings area right side of open end as you look at the pitch.

My first match was against Sheffield Wednesday earlier that same season as a 7 year old. Next game was on my 8th birthday v Carlisle. But I also went to that Sheffield United game and I think it was that match that really impressed me about the drama and dynamics of football. Tony Currie scored the winner for Sheffield United and was blowing kisses at the East End as he celebrated. It stuck with me as there was all this hate and vitriol aimed at him from thousands of fans but he was blowing kisses at them having spoiled their day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Hi there  , still around but sadly not renewed as working up the airport now ( at 71 !) and only saw 5 games last season.

You’re not Stan Drobin? Damn!

• Haha 1

On 04/06/2022 at 21:54, Old Rascal said:

I was at that game as a 13 yr old, travelled up from Taunton, fantastic atmosphere, loved it. John Galley was class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Din't Dickie Rooks start the ball rolling with a thumping header ?

That sounds right, I always thought John Galley got a hattrick and Dickie Rooks got the other 2.

Someone on Twitter said this was also their first match and they remember it as 1-3 at half time and he also remembers Dickie getting a couple. 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 08:22, Sir Colby-Tit said:

First game, December 76 at home against Leeds United, which was abandoned due to fog. 

Last season was my silver jubilee (25th year of having a season ticket), but unfortunately haven't renewed as I'm abdicating to Hampshire. 

I was at that one. My first Rovers game was 73/74 season, then I had  season or 2 of going to both, firstly with my dad and then his work colleagues. I always supported the away side  when I went to Ashton though,. My dad wasn't interested in football, he just took me because he knew I loved it and none of my family are from Bristol, so I have no idea why I always disliked City, the only explanation I can think of is, being brought up in Oldbury Court, pretty much everyone was Rovers and I was going along with the crowd.

1 hour ago, Old Rascal said:

That sounds right, I always thought John Galley got a hattrick and Dickie Rooks got the other 2.

Someone on Twitter said this was also their first match and they remember it as 1-3 at half time and he also remembers Dickie getting a couple. 

That sounds "more right" I think I would have remembered the hat trick !

I think it went 0-2, 1-2 (Rooks) 1-3 till H/T .

I also remember a small group of O's fans giving it large when leading, but at HT load of City went in the open end (as they used to do at the time) . Funny, the O's weren't so noisy after that !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1