IGNORED

Wales v Ukraine

Malago

1 minute ago, East Londoner said:

How is it fair to have a one off final at one teams stadium. I know they’ve tried milking these playoffs by having more teams than normal involved but surely a one off match where the winner goes to the World Cup should be played in a neutral stadium 

Odd. Two legs would make sense, although tricky for Ukraine just now ???

7 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

How is it fair to have a one off final at one teams stadium. I know they’ve tried milking these playoffs by having more teams than normal involved but surely a one off match where the winner goes to the World Cup should be played in a neutral stadium 

Because Wales have earned the right due to a better qualification campaign.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

That doesn’t make it fair though especially when every other year it’s over two legs. Obviously Ukraine would’ve had to hold theirs at a neutral stadium 

Edited by East Londoner
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Soft but a pen for me 

It always seems harsh to me when Player A is going to play the ball, then gets penalised when Player B (maybe deliberately) puts his foot between A’s foot and the ball at the last second. Who is creating the contact? I think B  is and it shouldn’t be a foul.

2 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

That doesn’t make it fair though especially when every other year it’s over two legs. Obviously Ukraine would’ve had to hold theirs at a neutral stadium 

Ukraine have played an extra game as well, having to beat Scotland. Is that not fair?  They have changed the way qualifying works so anything that has happened before isn’t relevant.  Everyone knew the rules before so it seems very fair. Have a better qualification campaign and get rewarded for it 

Just now, SecretSam said:

That's just daft.

Is it? Some people want to the EFL play offs to be 6th v 5th, that winner v 4th and that winner v 3rd.  This is similar.  Can’t see that rewarding the teams with a better campaign in a play off scenario is daft 

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

PS not Scotland 

I want Scotland to win when they play in qualifiers. The more home nations at a major tournament the better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ukraine have played an extra game as well, having to beat Scotland. Is that not fair?  They have changed the way qualifying works so anything that has happened before isn’t relevant.  Everyone knew the rules before so it seems very fair. Have a better qualification campaign and get rewarded for it 

Not an extra game, Wales beat Austria in March. The Ukraine/Scotland game was due to be played then too but postponed due to the war. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wales beat Austria to get to this game. 

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It always seems harsh to me when Player A is going to play the ball, then gets penalised when Player B (maybe deliberately) puts his foot between A’s foot and the ball at the last second. Who is creating the contact? I think B  is and it shouldn’t be a foul.

Have to say I agree with this. However, this season there were quite a few penalties given for similar tackles in the EPL. Though that probably shows a difference in interpretation between refs in England and the rest of Europe where they probably take intent into account.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Why would it be hatred?

I have Welsh and Irish blood (German, too ?). No Scottish.  

Lots of Welsh blood in Bristol due to the war. My cousins in their 30’s didn’t know our Nan was Welsh as she died when they were young. The look on their faces was priceless when I told them. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

8 minutes ago, !james said:

Not an extra game, Wales beat Austria in March. The Ukraine/Scotland game was due to be played then too but postponed due to the war. 

And thanks.  Point still stands though about rewarding better campaigns with home advantage 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

And thanks.  Point still stands though about rewarding better campaigns with home advantage 

How can anyone judge that fairly when they didn't play the same teams

5 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Why would it be hatred?

I have Welsh and Irish blood (German, too ?). No Scottish.  

So why would you NEVER want Scotland to win? Against anyone? Logically suggests you dislike them more than Russia, Argentina, North Korea… ?

3 minutes ago, bredwood said:

Have to say I agree with this. However, this season there were quite a few penalties given for similar tackles in the EPL. Though that probably shows a difference in interpretation between refs in England and the rest of Europe where they probably take intent into account.

Can understand that view if there were no advantage gained by the defending team.

In this instance, I would say the Ukraine player was in a position to make positive play, he was upright, had his balance and able to take control of the ball. It was a direct advantage to Wales that he was fouled, all be it unintentionally. Anywhere else on the pitch, that would have been given as a foul.