IGNORED

Wales v Ukraine

Malago

Wales weren't pretty today but from what I seen they got the first goal and defended well throughout, have never been a big fan of their goalkeeper Hennessey but he made some important saves today. Ukraine played better and were a little unlucky but Wales is not an easy place to go to and get a result at the moment.

For me from an England point of view a game against Wales at the world Cup is a much more exciting occasion than a game against Ukraine. Whilst England should qualify fairly easily on paper I think being overconfident might be a real problem as will be playing 3 teams who will look to soak things up and frustrate, getting 2010 vibes from the world cup group but hopefully England stay professional and get the pts needed to finish 1st this time around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Yep ............can see Wales lighting up the World Cup with their stylish possession  , and their intoxicating blend of flowing football.  Hopefully i will manage to stay awake during their clash with England..........Just, Can't wait.  And could Iran v Wales prove to be the game of the tournament?   And, God forbid, they are actually going to extend the number of teams who qualify in future World Cups.......so they're will be even more turgid battle's of the "also rans" on offer in the future.........yawn.  When will FIFA ever consider quality instead of stuffed brown envelopes?..............Probably never?.

So in the same vain, why not just have a Premier league with ten top teams in and bugger everybody else, City included? Strange comment..

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An interesting statement, I’m intrigued.

Which war was that, and how did that bring Welsh people to Bristol.

I should stress, this is a genuine question and, as I said, I am really intrigued.

The Second World War. Lots of families were thrown in it together from the surrounding areas. Believe it or not is your choice. But there are a quite a few of us Welshies that support City from a grandparent being Bristolian. There was also an influx of Welsh moving to Bristol when the mining went just to get work. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Page : “these fans are the best in the world”.

Yeah, right.

To all those mocking Page’s comments, I don’t know who the best fans in the world are (if there is any such thing) but I arrived in Bordeaux the day after Wales beat either Slovakia or Russia in 2016 (I dont remember which) and the place was full of Welsh drinking and having a good time. I sat with loads and had a great day and I can absolutely say without any doubt I would rather spend time with the Welsh fans at an overseas tournament than the English 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

33 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The Second World War. Lots of families were thrown in it together from the surrounding areas. Believe it or not is your choice. But there are a quite a few of us Welshies that support City from a grandparent being Bristolian. There was also an influx of Welsh moving to Bristol when the mining went just to get work. 

I don't know - they come over here, they take our sheep...

• Haha 1

One thing struck me about the celebrations yesterday - no pitch invasion. It meant the players got to celebrate properly on the pitch, all the fans got to see it, and the Welsh players were also able to acknowledge the Ukraine supporters, which I thought was a great touch.

I thought it was much better. Tin hat on!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clunes said:

To all those mocking Page’s comments, I don’t know who the best fans in the world are (if there is any such thing) but I arrived in Bordeaux the day after Wales beat either Slovakia or Russia in 2016 (I dont remember which) and the place was full of Welsh drinking and having a good time. I sat with loads and had a great day and I can absolutely say without any doubt I would rather spend time with the Welsh fans at an overseas tournament than the English 

A slight generalisation don't you think? we do have more than our fairshare of idiots but you can't tar all followers of England with the same brush.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PFree said:

So in the same vain, why not just have a Premier league with ten top teams in and bugger everybody else, City included? Strange comment..

Why is it strange?   Do you really want to watch Estonia v Belarus, if you do?..... good luck.  The comparison with the Premier League is   specious IMHO.    The World Cup, is......or used to be, The Greatest Sporting Event on the Planet.  I want to watch Brazil v Italy or France v Germany.  Not "Also Rans" who are just making up the numbers.     Leicester, fantastically won the Premier League............can you see Wales winning the World Cup?  I would love to see an African team win the World Cup, but i do not want to watch matches which are just concessions by FIFA to keep minor nations happy.  The cream of World football should be at the World Cup.  FIFA are interested in just one thing, and one thing   only?...............The Almighty Dollar.       PS. By the way it's Vein......and Not Vain....Two different meanings ?

Edited by maxjak

11 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

It is not a question (choice) of believing it or not; as I said, I was not disbelieving you, but was genuinely intrigued as to why a large number of Welsh would have come to Bristol as a result of a war, especially the Second World War, if for no better reason in this particular instance than a large number of Bristolians were being evacuated from Bristol at the same time.

I understand totally why large numbers of people, Welsh included, might come to Bristol in times of economic hardship; indeed, as you are no doubt aware, just over a Century ago, a large number of Italians sought economic refuge in Wales, hence the large number of Italian cafés such as Bella Lasagne and ice cream parlours.

Why, even our much loved Berni Inn, The Rummer, had its origins in Welsh/Italian immigrants. 

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why is it strange?   Do you really want to watch Estonia v Belarus, if you do?..... good luck.  The comparison with the Premier League is   specious IMHO.    The World Cup, is......or used to be, The Greatest Sporting Event on the Planet.  I want to watch Brazil v Italy or France v Germany.  Not "Also Rans" who are just making up the numbers.     Leicester, fantastically won the Premier League............can you see Wales winning the World Cup?  I would love to see an African team win the World Cup, but i do not want to watch matches which are just concessions by FIFA to keep minor nations happy.  The cream of World football should be at the World Cup.  FIFA are interested in just one thing, and one thing   only?...............The Almighty Dollar.       PS. By the way it's Vein......and Not Vain....Two different meanings ?

Do you think City offer entertaining football then? If it weren’t for the lesser nations or smaller football league teams, it wouldn’t be the beautiful game it is at the top hey?

If Man City or United fans suggested the likes of City shouldn’t appear in the FA Cup, would you feel the same? 

I am Welsh by the way, I just don’t get why people continually knock smaller teams..and by the way, England have hardly hit the heights, have they?

4 minutes ago, PFree said:

Do you think City offer entertaining football then? If it weren’t for the lesser nations or smaller football league teams, it wouldn’t be the beautiful game it is at the top hey?

If Man City or United fans suggested the likes of City shouldn’t appear in the FA Cup, would you feel the same? 

I am Welsh by the way, I just don’t get why people continually knock smaller teams..and by the way, England have hardly hit the heights, have they?

I am far from an England fan.........personally i prefer club football.   I have no idea why u r referencing Bristol City?  International football and club football are two completely different ball games.  You are going off on a very bizarre tangent, comparing the World and FA Cups?   You sound like yet another Welsh fan, bleating on about poor old Wales....and how nobody appreciates smaller teams?   Anyhow enjoy Wales appearance in the World Cup............because it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.......especially once Bale retires?

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It is not a question (choice) of believing it or not; as I said, I was not disbelieving you, but was genuinely intrigued as to why a large number of Welsh would have come to Bristol as a result of a war, especially the Second World War, if for no better reason in this particular instance than a large number of Bristolians were being evacuated from Bristol at the same time.

I understand totally why large numbers of people, Welsh included, might come to Bristol in times of economic hardship; indeed, as you are no doubt aware, just over a Century ago, a large number of Italians sought economic refuge in Wales, hence the large number of Italian cafés such as Bella Lasagne and ice cream parlours.

Why, even our much loved Berni Inn, The Rummer, had its origins in Welsh/Italian immigrants. 

I can just remember my Nan telling me why and how she met my grandad. She was from the Rhonda and him from Bristol (hence why we all support City) . And she said that during the war a lot were stationed together. 

Here’s an interesting fact though. I was born where the Celtic Manor is and have friends also born there. But back then the district was either Monmouthshire or Gwent. When Monmouthshire you could be either Welsh or English for some reason. So a lot of my friends say they are English being born the same place as me. Likewise my uncle says he’s English as well on those grounds.

For the record, I’m Welsh but my boys and wife, also my younger brother are English so I’ve never understood this rivalry. Apart from general banter in five/ six nations. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I can just remember my Nan telling me why and how she met my grandad. She was from the Rhonda and him from Bristol (hence why we all support City) . And she said that during the war a lot were stationed together. 

Here’s an interesting fact though. I was born where the Celtic Manor is and have friends also born there. But back then the district was either Monmouthshire or Gwent. When Monmouthshire you could be either Welsh or English for some reason. So a lot of my friends say they are English being born the same place as me. Likewise my uncle says he’s English as well on those grounds.

For the record, I’m Welsh but my boys and wife, also my younger brother are English so I’ve never understood this rivalry. Apart from general banter in five/ six nations. 

When I was in school, we used to play rugby against Monmouth Grammar, and I can assure you it was very much a Welsh school!

Interestingly, though, I have relatives living near to Ross-on-Wye, and I seem to recall leaving England and crossing the (old) Severn Bridge in to Chepstow (Wales), driving along the River Wye, past Tintern Abbey (still Wales), before getting back in to England when we approached Ross.

A lovely part of the country.

17 hours ago, Calculus said:

I don't know - they come over here, they take our sheep...

With so many euphoric and p155ed up Welshmen on the loose last night, will the vets in the valleys will be inundated  by sheep wanting the morning after pill? :shocking:

Not that I'm stereotyping the Welsh of course!

Edited by downendcity

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

When I was in school, we used to play rugby against Monmouth Grammar, and I can assure you it was very much a Welsh school!

Interestingly, though, I have relatives living near to Ross-on-Wye, and I seem to recall leaving England and crossing the (old) Severn Bridge in to Chepstow (Wales), driving along the River Wye, past Tintern Abbey (still Wales), before getting back in to England when we approached Ross.

A lovely part of the country.

Posh gits in that school. 

We take the Wye Valley for granted here in Chepstow like the forest of Dean and don’t appreciate what we’ve got around us. Bet loads in Chepstow have never been into the castle or the Abbey. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

Agree and disagree. No doubt those marquee games are great, but what has always made football great is the surprise package. Happens in cups here, even in the premier league with Leicester winning. I want brazil v italy etc at the world cup, butI also want the surprise packages. The teams who may not win, but light up the the tournament. Cameroon, Ghana, Colombia, South Korea etc have all made World Cups very exciting. The upsets and surprises are a huge part of what makes the tournaments great. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Agree and disagree. No doubt those marquee games are great, but what has always made football great is the surprise package. Happens in cups here, even in the premier league with Leicester winning. I want brazil v italy etc at the world cup, butI also want the surprise packages. The teams who may not win, but light up the the tournament. Cameroon, Ghana, Colombia, South Korea etc have all made World Cups very exciting. The upsets and surprises are a huge part of what makes the tournaments great. 

i don't really see Cameroon, Ghana and Colombia as little teams...........i am referring more to teams like Iran, Wales (Ha!), Saudi Arabia and   Qatar  (Who if not hosts, would NEVER qualify).  But that's obviously just my opinion!!

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I am far from an England fan.........personally i prefer club football.   I have no idea why u r referencing Bristol City?  International football and club football are two completely different ball games.  You are going off on a very bizarre tangent, comparing the World and FA Cups?   You sound like yet another Welsh fan, bleating on about poor old Wales....and how nobody appreciates smaller teams?   Anyhow enjoy Wales appearance in the World Cup............because it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.......especially once Bale retires?

Broadly agree. Personally not convinced that 16 teams was so wrong in 1978, that 48 teams in 2026 is the right answer. Probably somewhere in-between is right, with qualifying allowing everyone to have a go, but the finals being reasonably high quality. More than 16 seems fair given the game is now more global and (eg) England missing out on goal difference to Italy, but getting through 48 (Group P?!?) seems similar to removing your own eyeballs with a teaspoon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

What about the FA Cup comment then, not the same principle to you? Not bleating, too old for that my friend - I’ll drop to your level, off you go to do your homework ?

17 minutes ago, PFree said:

What about the FA Cup comment then, not the same principle to you? Not bleating, too old for that my friend - I’ll drop to your level, off you go to do your homework ?

I'll tell you what is sad?  Someone of your age resorting to personal attacks, when unable to sustain a discussion....your obviously not too old for that. Never mind......I Hope you enjoy Wale's three World Cup games ?             .

8 hours ago, PFree said:

A world cup semi final and a Euro final in the ln the last four years isn't exactly pants though is it (and yes I know we didn't win them).