IGNORED

Gregor McGregor - Lee Johnson Interview (Merged)

AshtonRobin21

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

It's not an interview with me given he's blocked me on social media for reminding, as now a freelance, he's in the business of generating (aka manufacturing) his own stories for personal gain.

One story he's reluctant to promote is why he's so ostracized from the present set-up at AG, tough read his output and that answers itself.

On the Kane Wilson thread, I spoke about how Bristol World, and the Watford Observer were quoting each other over their "If Rob Edwards was interested in signing old FGR players" pieces.

There is of course a necessity for sites to generate their own click bait nowadays (look at the Bristol live "Latest Transfer gossip" or "Live" pages). The headlines of any site nowadays say nothing of the true message (ie F##k all going on). But you have to click onto them to be told that nothing is happening.

It's all a bit painful at the moment.

That's why the Naismith transfer was so refreshing. No "Gossip", ITK's posting nonsense etc. All very old school, done before anyone really knew anything about it ( other than @Lew-T of course)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Is a freelance journalist is more likely to "generate (aka manufacture) their own stories"  than an employed journalist?       A salary is personal gain too?

Yes. When The Fourth Estate was worth a light or in the rare exceptions where it still exists, salaried journalists have freedom and scope to investigate and build relationships.

In his case the problem is his ex employers now only use UGC, with as few untrained staffs as possible compiling that and even on agency fill-in that's covering roles where experienced hacks of a certain generation and quality have taken the shekel and retired.

So silly season, or in his case where sources have run dry, it's a case of invent to survive. Lost count of the number of his invented 'scoops' that come to nothing.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Yes. When The Fourth Estate was worth a light or in the rare exceptions where it still exists, salaried journalists have freedom and scope to investigate and build relationships.

In his case the problem is his ex employers now only use UGC, with as few untrained staffs as possible compiling that and even on agency fill-in that's covering roles where experienced hacks of a certain generation and quality have taken the shekel and retired.

So silly season, or in his case where sources have run dry, it's a case of invent to survive. Lost count of the number of his invented 'scoops' that come to nothing.

Reminds me of a certain PM who was paid to make up stories about EU bananas and got sacked by the Times.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Reminds me of a certain PM who was paid to make up stories about EU bananas and got sacked by the Times.   

Buffoon was indeed sacked from The Times, save if memory recalls it wasn't for EU bananas, rather a wholly obscure reference to implied,  historic 'banana' activity between two nobs (see what I did there,) one of whom may (or may not) have been a distant relation of his. Some nobbish descendant took umbrage that their relation (far removed) had enjoyed 'haha' in the bucolic Ha Ha at their family residence. I recall Private Eye making 'Street of Shame' hay with the story.

The Times has always been Europhile, unlike The Torygraph where Buffoon's banana story appeared.

20 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Buffoon was indeed sacked from The Times, save if memory recalls it wasn't for EU bananas, rather a wholly obscure reference to implied,  historic 'banana' activity between two nobs (see what I did there,) one of whom may (or may not) have been a distant relation of his. Some nobbish descendant took umbrage that their relation (far removed) had enjoyed 'haha' in the bucolic Ha Ha at their family residence. I recall Private Eye making 'Street of Shame' hay with the story.

The Times has always been Europhile, unlike The Torygraph where Buffoon's banana story appeared.

He basically made up a quote from an acquaintance. Unfortunately for him, the acquaintance complained to the editor.  Before joining The Times, they had a scheme where there trainees spent six weeks on a local paper and Bozo went to the Wolverhampton Express & Star where, as well as encountering council houses for the first time in his life, he was asked to leave for persistently being late. As you say, his made-up stories about the EU didn't bother the Telegraph: In fact they encouraged the falsehoods. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He basically made up a quote from an acquaintance. Unfortunately for him, the acquaintance complained to the editor.  Before joining The Times, they had a scheme where there trainees spent six weeks on a local paper and Bozo went to the Wolverhampton Express & Star where, as well as encountering council houses for the first time in his life, he was asked to leave for persistently being late. As you say, his made-up stories about the EU didn't bother the Telegraph: In fact they encouraged the falsehoods. 

Thanks. I forgot the detail but recalled it was something to do with a Catherine Cookson type homosexual liaison centuries back which, as you say, irked a nobbish relative of one of the characters referenced? Only the type of thing the upper classes could get worked up about....

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Thanks. I forgot the detail but recalled it was something to do with a Catherine Cookson type homosexual liaison centuries back which, as you say, irked a nobbish relative of one of the characters referenced? Only the type of thing the upper classes could get worked up about....

Piers Gaveston. A Medieval courtier of reputed homosexualist tendencies, who foppish Oxford University undergraduates still have a fascination with. 

Bozo pretended his godfather (a historian) had said something about Gaveston, which he hadn't.

Tip to the lazy journalist: If you're going to manufacture a quote and attribute it to a real person, best clear it with them first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thought Max Hastings, his editor at the Telegraph, did say that the only people who like Boris are the people who don't know him. ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Boris seems to have upset Mr. Hastings. Water off a ducks back no doubt...

Got a skin like a rhinoceros that man. 

It's worth noting that Max is a very firm Conservative. But a traditional one. He actually wants to conserve things rather than wreck them for short-term profit. 

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Got a skin like a rhinoceros that man. 

It's worth noting that Max is a very firm Conservative. But a traditional one. He actually wants to conserve things rather than wreck them for short-term profit. 

If only there was short-term profit!

Just appears like constant recurring losses from Bunter and His sidekick Smoggy.

Personally, still waiting for the first ‘profit’ for leaving the EU myself. Apart from my new blue passport and a ‘UK’ plate - which every time I look at it makes me think of how this Country is now viewed by others - there seems a massive void in terms of promised benefits! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My wife and I agree totally with Max Hastings view of Boris. One of the most selfish politicians of my time.

I feel qualified to comment thus as my great uncle was a union leader, member of the war cabinet and Foreign Secretary for six years 1945 to 1951. I met him a few times as a child.

He probably made incorrect decisions at times but I've never heard or read any comments that accuse him of making such decisions for the wrong reasons like selfishness. Everything was done to try to make the world a better place.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My wife and I agree totally with Max Hastings view of Boris. One of the most selfish politicians of my time.

I feel qualified to comment thus as my great uncle was a union leader, member of the war cabinet and Foreign Secretary for six years 1945 to 1951. I met him a few times as a child.

He probably made incorrect decisions at times but I've never heard or read any comments that accuse him of making such decisions for the wrong reasons like selfishness. Everything was done to try to make the world a better place.

Ernie Bevin then? A remarkable man but there's no chance of somebody from his background getting to high office these days. All lawyers, PPE graduates and the like now, not even vaguely reflecting the population.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

He was also a fine journalist and editor (of The Daily Telegraph), as well as being an excellent war/military author.

I recalled your comment about his views on BJ, but had to go back to check the detail.

How extremely prescient.

In June 2019, Hastings described Boris Johnson, the Conservative Party leadership candidate, as "unfit for national office, because it seems he cares for no interest save his own fame and gratification ... [his] premiership will almost certainly reveal a contempt for rules, precedent, order and stability ... If the price of Johnson proves to be Corbyn, blame will rest with the Conservative party, which is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people – who will not find it funny for long.

God knows how some threads, such as this one, morph into political debates.

Anyway, whilst on the boring subject of politics, with so many political parties to choose from, it's hard to know which one to pick.

Anyone know when and where the next political party is being held? 

Mine's a pint.

Cheers !

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Ernie Bevin then? A remarkable man but there's no chance of somebody from his background getting to high office these days. All lawyers, PPE graduates and the like now, not even vaguely reflecting the population.

Yes and you are also correct about high and low office now. 

@chinapig

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes and you are also correct about high and low office now. 

@chinapig

Christ - that's a hell of an impressive person to claim as a Great Uncle! 

I think the fact that I - as someone born in 1982 - am impressed by the name of a foreign secretary who served over three decades before I was born shows the difference in calibre between politicians then and the cabinet of today. I suspect anyone in three decades who refers to their Great Aunt, Liz Truss, will get a resounding shrug and a "who on Earth is that?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Christ - that's a hell of an impressive person to claim as a Great Uncle! 

I think the fact that I - as someone born in 1982 - am impressed by the name of a foreign secretary who served over three decades before I was born shows the difference in calibre between politicians then and the cabinet of today. I suspect anyone in three decades who refers to their Great Aunt, Liz Truss, will get a resounding shrug and a "who on Earth is that?"

@LondonBristolian

Thanks. But he was the instigator and first Gen Secretary of T&GW in 1920,s.

Then Minister of Labour from May 1940 to 45.

And Foreign Minister 1945 to 1951. He died six weeks after leaving office. 

I met him three or four times around ages 4 to 7. He left a massive impression on me. He said do the best you can but always be honest with everyone. I've tried to.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He was also a fine journalist and editor (of The Daily Telegraph), as well as being an excellent war/military author.

Absolutely fabulous military writer. What is so good is the geo-political context he puts on stuff. It allows you a far better understanding than simply a "maps and chaps" author.

I have Operation Pedestal, his newish one about the struggle to defend Malta in World War II, in my books to read stack. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

He rose from delivering lemonade to my grandfather's shop in Soundwell Road, Kingswood to one of the very few foreign politicians that Stalin respected, recognising in him a proper man who rise from nothing like himself.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

He rose from delivering lemonade to my grandfather's shop in Soundwell Road, Kingswood to one of the very few foreign politicians that Stalin respected, recognising in him a proper man who rise from nothing like himself.

Churchill also respected him. Bevin was going to retire until Churchill persuaded him to join the War Cabinet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1