IGNORED

Gregor McGregor - Lee Johnson Interview (Merged)

AshtonRobin21

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seriously?

Aside from the big two, clubs up there pay L1 wages for L1 players.

Marley Watkins & Taylor Moore were at Aberdeen & Hearts last season.

Agreed.

Put the top 6 or 7 into the Championship and apart from the bigot brothers the rest would truly struggle.

I would see the bigot brothers troubling the top six but not the auto places.

Even with their huge season ticket numbers they could not compete with the parachute payment clubs.

Interestingly, put them in the EPL and all the wealth that goes with it, which would fund a huge player upgrade and they would probably survive and eventually thrive. Obviously never going to happen and nor should it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Agreed.

Put the top 6 or 7 into the Championship and apart from the bigot brothers the rest would truly struggle.

I would see the bigot brothers troubling the top six but not the auto places.

Even with their huge season ticket numbers they could not compete with the parachute payment clubs.

Interestingly, put them in the EPL and all the wealth that goes with it, which would fund a huge player upgrade and they would probably survive and eventually thrive. Obviously never going to happen and nor should it.

Rangers and Celtic should never be ‘put’ in either of the leagues you mention. Start at the bottom and work their way up. They won’t ever do that so it’s a moot point.  And to be honest, Celtic can piss off to the Irish league if they fancy a change. They are no way compatible with English leagues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

I still think he is a good coach (which is what we employed him as), not a good manager. I'm convinced now that having MA here as his leadership and direction setter was what went wrong.

I wouldn't mind him back here (not yet) as long as NP or equal character was his manager. He is the sort that can get and extra 5% out of everyone if he works hard, NP gets people to take responsibility for getting 5% out of themselves - between them they would either complement each other quiet well if LJ toed the line or it would completely fall to pieces with divergent philosophies.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Gregor McGregor - Lee Johnson Interview (Merged)
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He certainly is City through and through but because he talks a load of bollocks he’ll never become a top manager. He’s already achieved the best level he’ll ever reach - just like his father.

He eventually regressed into a clone of his dad………..:dunno: and that’s sad in many ways.

I don’t remember his dad talking what you describe a ‘a load of bollocks’.  Quite the opposite in fact.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I still think he is a good coach (which is what we employed him as), not a good manager. I'm convinced now that having MA here as his leadership and direction setter was what went wrong.

I wouldn't mind him back here (not yet) as long as NP or equal character was his manager. He is the sort that can get and extra 5% out of everyone if he works hard, NP gets people to take responsibility for getting 5% out of themselves - between them they would either complement each other quiet well if LJ toed the line or it would completely fall to pieces with divergent philosophies.

There’s an element of truth on this. Nice guy but he just doesn’t  know what he’s supposed to be. Tried to be a jack of all trade at city and he’s not. Speaks the same language wherever he goes. Just concentrate on what he’s good on. Forget the rest of the fluff. He might do alright if he focuses on his strengths. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

and bullshit...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61757947

"Andi Weimann - we signed him for £1.5 million as a wide player and turned him into a nine and a half, and this year, he's scored 22 goals and assists as well. I'm delighted for him."

That struck a chord with me. How can he take credit for turning Weimann into a 9.5 when a) Weimann started his career playing through the middle, b) he rarely played him through the middle, and c) when he did, his tactic was to lump it long. 

Usual bullshit from the second biggest bullshit merchant we’ve had at the club. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Neither of them are remotely Championship standard.

Watkins has had 1 good season at Barnsley at this level in his entire career, Moore has been with us 6 seasons & has never established himself as Championship standard.

I’ll happily bet you £20 that his next permanent team is below that level.

You’re right, it is an opinion but thinking Scottish football outside the old firm is Championship standard is certainly a minority one.

I didn't say that Scottish football outside the old firm is Championship standard, that would be ridiculous.

I said that Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are up to it (certainly the first two).

Its a pity that we don't play the Anglo-Scottish ties anymore.

FWIW, the Championship is vastly over rated by a lot of people imo.

23 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t remember his dad talking what you describe a ‘a load of bollocks’.  Quite the opposite in fact.

That's only because you weren't in GJ's office to hear the "load of bollocks" he unleashed at RR! :whistle2:

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I wish him well. No bad feelings from me. My only regret was we should of sacked him after the Forest 1-0 game IMO. 

I agree with this.

He wasn’t the worst, he wasn’t the best, and he overstayed his welcome.

Some of his teams played good football, were fun to watch, and gave us some decent runs; some of his teams were trash.

The Andi comment is funny because, yes; LJ didn’t really use him as he should, so him taking credit is silly. But people making that some kind of big meaningful thing about his time here isn’t it.

He’ll probably do okay at Hibs; like others say, the standard is wildly uneven up there, even player-to-player in the same team, so if he gets a bit of luck and has learnt a few lessons, might be able to crave out some results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

He might be a reasonable coach but his biggest failing is the same as his father.

His man management is poor and additionally he is too fond of throwing his players under the nearest bus.

I don’t see much connection between the two - other than the obvious familial one!

Whatever else he may have been GJ was a proven winner. Multiple promotions at almost every level. Brilliant at getting a tune out of often quite limited players. Not so good with others. His son, despite opportunities his dad never had - money vs loose change - Sunderland vs Yeovil & Torquay - has won diddly squat, zero promotions in a managerial career of hundreds of matches. GJ was a giant in comparison. 

Personally I loved GJ’s time with us. Could forgive him a great deal. 

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, bpexile said:

I've mentioned a few times to mates that I thought we had LJ too early in his coaching career.  I still think he will achieve, a shame it wasn't with us as the guy is City through & through.

He did talk a load of bollocks though didn't he :doh:?

That's part of the problem with Johnson everything to do with city was with his heart and he loves the club blah blah he's a manager and needs to get over it.. Yes he did talk bollocks and by the sounds of it still does ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If you ever listened properly to a GJ interview he actually talked a lot, laughed at his own jokes but said nothing meaningful at all.

What LJ did was talk a load a bollocks thinking that we’d all be able impressed with his knowledge of the game.

As for becoming a clone of his father I was referring to him playing some decent stuff when he was first appointed but gradually over time he started producing the same dreary shite that his dad had. 

I reckon is part of the Johnson DNA………..:dunno:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What gets me is Johnson wants praise for playing weimann 9 and a half from that interview but weimanns natural position is central anyway he hasnt changed as a player since his academy days at villa, With weimann the difference is experience he's always had a phenomenal work rate.. Lambert played weimann central at villa after moving him in.

Anywhere across the line right left central or just behind weimann has had that since villa just like Abraham he's had the quality before he come to city but again it's experience through appearances. Early quality coaching of those two players is what's made them the players of today.

Pearsons man management has helped weimanns achievements last season not coaching itself.

A post from 2014

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-striker-andi-weimann-7075444

Edited by Street red

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you ever listened properly to a GJ interview he actually talked a lot, laughed at his own jokes but said nothing meaningful at all.

What LJ did was talk a load a bollocks thinking that we’d all be able impressed with his knowledge of the game.

As for becoming a clone of his father I was referring to him playing some decent stuff when he was first appointed but gradually over time he started producing the same dreary shite that his dad had. 

I mean we all know you hate GJ because he embarrassed you, so you’re hardly an unbiased viewpoint.

Funny for someone you’ve so little care for you’re always posting about how shite he was at every possible opportunity, no matter how tenuous the link.

Your obvious personal vendetta is getting really old.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

What part of that is untrue? 

The more honest answer would’ve been:

I signed Andi who’d spent his last few seasons playing wide right (Derby and Wolves) but the player himself says his best position is a striker, which I agree with having looked back at his time at Villa, and that’s why we’ve signed him and where he’s gonna play.

No fake news there….that’s what was said (paraphrased) when he signed.

The contention comes from Lee himself that half a dozen games into that season, having initially seen Andi score regularly playing as the main striker, Diedhiou came back from gob-gate suspension, and not long after Andi got shifted back out onto the wing, a position Lee played him in a lot of the time for the rest of his tenure as City Head-Coach.

Is any of what I’ve written untrue?  I’m not trying to be clever either, just seemed a strange claim.

I will give Lee lots of credit for Bobby Reid, but to claim he turned him into a 9 1/2 is disingenuous to say the least.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

He certainly is City through and through but because , like me he talks a load of bollocks he’ll never become a top manager. He’s already achieved the best level he’ll ever reach - and will never achieve the success or popularity of his father.

He eventually regressed into a clone of me and I’m sad in so many ways.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The more honest answer would’ve been:

I signed Andi who’d spent his last few seasons playing wide right (Derby and Wolves) but the player himself says his best position is a striker, which I agree with having looked back at his time at Villa, and that’s why we’ve signed him and where he’s gonna play.

No fake news there….that’s what was said (paraphrased) when he signed.

The contention comes from Lee himself that half a dozen games into that season, having initially seen Andi score regularly playing as the main striker, Diedhiou came back from gob-gate suspension, and not long after Andi got shifted back out onto the wing, a position Lee played him in a lot of the time for the rest of his tenure as City Head-Coach.

Is any of what I’ve written untrue?  I’m not trying to be clever either, just seemed a strange claim.

I will give Lee lots of credit for Bobby Reid, but to claim he turned him into a 9 1/2 is disingenuous to say the least.

That's it with Lee though isn't it, and one of the things that drove me mad. He just can't help himself.

The stupid thing is he did loads of good stuff here he could highlight and rightfully take a lot of credit for, but why he feels the need to try and elaborate on something like that is just weird.

It's the same as post Man U / Man C games. They were brilliant performances and he rightly deserved loads of praise - why start talking about bottles of wine with Mourinho or rubbing shoulders with Pep around a tactics board. It's just naff and reeks of insecurity to me. He'd already done the hard part, he just had to bask in it, not endlessly try and big himself up.

• Like 10
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Pot/ Kettle. GJ was Aristotle compared to you! 

Just admit it, he verbally spanked your arse and you haven't been able to sit down since. Move on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

However, Johnson believes he will "need three of four windows" to shape a squad in his own image after signings were made by two sacked managers - Jack Ross and Shaun Maloney - during last 

From BBC Football Scottish football - now, where have I heard that before.........

Nigel Pearson ?

Or any other football manager maybe ?

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

That's it with Lee though isn't it, and one of the things that drove me mad. He just can't help himself.

The stupid thing is he did loads of good stuff here he could highlight and rightfully take a lot of credit for, but why he feels the need to try and elaborate on something like that is just weird.

It's the same as post Man U / Man C games. They were brilliant performances and he rightly deserved loads of praise - why start talking about bottles of wine with Mourinho or rubbing shoulders with Pep around a tactics board. It's just naff and reeks of insecurity to me. He'd already done the hard part, he just had to bask in it, not endlessly try and big himself up.

Agree 100%. 

Listening his post match interviews on BBC RB after we had lost, I sometimes felt he had imposter syndrome.

I still think that is possible. I believe he is quite a complex character and he would be fascinating to have a couple of pints with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

However, Johnson believes he will "need three of four windows" to shape a squad in his own image after signings were made by two sacked managers - Jack Ross and Shaun Maloney - during last 

From BBC Football Scottish football - now, where have I heard that before.........

No mentions of Europa ?

• Haha 1