IGNORED

Gregor McGregor - Lee Johnson Interview (Merged)

AshtonRobin21

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

He certainly is City through and through but because he talks a load of bollocks he’ll never become a top manager. He’s already achieved the best level he’ll ever reach - just like his father.

He eventually regressed into a clone of his dad………..:dunno: and that’s sad in many ways.

But both talk far less bollocks than you, and both have achieved a far better level than you have!

?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

There’s an element of truth on this. Nice guy but he just doesn’t  know what he’s supposed to be. Tried to be a jack of all trade at city and he’s not. Speaks the same language wherever he goes. Just concentrate on what he’s good on. Forget the rest of the fluff. He might do alright if he focuses on his strengths. 

Think he tried too hard, and perhaps listened to the wrong people or didn't listen to the right people. I do think that without him we wouldn't have seen Tammy at the gate and Tammy certainly left us as a better player than when he arrived.

24 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Think he tried too hard, and perhaps listened to the wrong people or didn't listen to the right people. I do think that without him we wouldn't have seen Tammy at the gate and Tammy certainly left us as a better player than when he arrived.

In my opinion LJ is a good coach, he just isn’t a manager.

What really ground my gears is the utter buxxshxt he spoke. But, I think he is a nice bloke.

He has a real challenge at Hibs, the relatively new owner has already disposed of 2 managers / HC’s - Shaun Maloney after only 4 months!

But, he has incredibly got a 4 year deal, so they must believe in him and financially LJ is in the pound seats.

• Like 2

We played good football the season with the cup win, MU. Then lose Wolves home in the leauge and from there not good. Liked LJ but could never understand or accept that he played COD before Eliasson. Eight days a week Niclas a better player then COD. LJ said COD was better in defensive play, kind of humor. Eliasson had more assists in one season then COD all his years in City. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

We played good football the season with the cup win, MU. Then lose Wolves home in the leauge and from there not good. Liked LJ but could never understand or accept that he played COD before Eliasson. Eight days a week Niclas a better player then COD. LJ said COD was better in defensive play, kind of humor. Eliasson had more assists in one season then COD all his years in City. 

That Wolves game was pivotal, wasn’t it.

Not just the result, but certain aspects of the performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

We played the best without Diedhiou when he was injured. When he came back we lost the high press and fast slick passing. But not sure how long Patterson and Reid could've kept up their game as the season went on. 

• Like 4

The constant LJ was a good coach theme trotted out In my opinion, is  just that opinion, but with little foundation. 

The bloke poured millions upon millions Down the khazi to a point that has taken us to the edge of a point deduction. Yes we all know about Covid, however the money spent on players who never even got on the bench was an utter disgrace. The money spent on one or two who did make the bench but were utter garbage is a bigger disgrace. 

A coach would have seen his team needed better players, but we adopted a scatter gun approach that lead to stupidity of mind numbing proportions.

Yes Webster turned out to be a good signing as he remained injury free and changing the role of Reid turned out a good move, but outside of that there really isn’t much else. That’s why Lansdown sacked him. Yes we were decent for the first half of one season with a decent cup run, but LJ eventually was seen for what he was.

A bloke who predicted Europa league in five years and delivered a bloated squad  with valueless players and a superhighway to a points deduction!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The constant LJ was a good coach theme trotted out In my opinion, is  just that opinion, but with little foundation. 

The bloke poured millions upon millions Down the khazi to a point that has taken us to the edge of a point deduction. Yes we all know about Covid, however the money spent on players who never even got on the bench was an utter disgrace. The money spent on one or two who did make the bench but were utter garbage is a bigger disgrace. 

A coach would have seen his team needed better players, but we adopted a scatter gun approach that lead to stupidity of mind numbing proportions.

Yes Webster turned out to be a good signing as he remained injury free and changing the role of Reid turned out a good move, but outside of that there really isn’t much else. That’s why Lansdown sacked him. Yes we were decent for the first half of one season with a decent cup run, but LJ eventually was seen for what he was.

A bloke who predicted Europa league in five years and delivered a bloated squad  with valueless players and a superhighway to a points deduction!

Can't argue with any of that !!

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

1. Webster, Brownhill and Reid were LJ’s picks. 

2. the other 60 were Mark Ashton’s. 

Come on. You must know that by now?! Duh. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It doesn’t matter who signed who now - we all know LJ and Smarmy Ashton signed anonymous players and MA handed out ‘generous’ contracts which has saddled Nige with players he doesn’t want but can’t rid of.

Time to move now and concentrate on the upcoming season.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It doesn’t matter who signed who now - we all know LJ and Smarmy Ashton signed anonymous players and MA handed out ‘generous’ contracts which has saddled Nige with players he doesn’t want but can’t rid of.

Time to move now and concentrate on the upcoming season.

Yes. You’re excellent at moving on…

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Come on. You must know that by now?! Duh. 

I know you say it in jest but you must admit there is a strong correlation between the scatter gun approach here and the scatter gun approach at Ipswich. Meanwhile LJ is 2 for 2 on league 1 teams he has been in charge of, got sacked and them getting promoted in the same season (which must wind him up ?).

It's well known that Webster was LJ's agreement when selling Flint - that was who he wanted. He had an existing relationship with Brownhill from his time at Barnsley and made him a priority signing when he arrived, Reid was moved up from by LJ so he can take some credit for that. Sure he had a large say about the others that came in but I'm not convinced he had the "final say" as he said, whoever hold the purse strings ultimately has the final say and that's SL/JL with MA managing and sitting between them.

Don't get me wrong though, his departure was about 3/6 months too late IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I know you say it in jest but you must admit there is a strong correlation between the scatter gun approach here and the scatter gun approach at Ipswich. Meanwhile LJ is 2 for 2 on league 1 teams he has been in charge of, got sacked and them getting promoted in the same season (which must wind him up ?).

It's well known that Webster was LJ's agreement when selling Flint - that was who he wanted. He had an existing relationship with Brownhill from his time at Barnsley and made him a priority signing when he arrived, Reid was moved up from by LJ so he can take some credit for that. Sure he had a large say about the others that came in but I'm not convinced he had the "final say" as he said, whoever hold the purse strings ultimately has the final say and that's SL/JL with MA managing and sitting between them.

Don't get me wrong though, his departure was about 3/6 months too late IMHO.

I do say it in jest you’re right. And I’m not an LJ fan, largely because of the bollocks he spouts (and the unlevel Playing field Cotts got or LJ’s benefit from nepotism, whichever way you wanna look at it!)

But there are very many people out there who are adamant that everything good was LJ and everything bad was MA. And it’s just nonsense.  Above, you’ve even gone as far as to say that you don’t believe what LJ said himself!

Its remarkable. I don’t think everything LJ did was bad. Not at all. But I just want people to have a balanced view that they can’t just blame everything bad on Ashton. 

At the very least, LJ was guilty of saying “yeh, go on then” every time MA offered him a new player. 

We’re now paying for their collective mess. It’s their (collective) fault. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That Wolves game was pivotal, wasn’t it.

Not just the result, but certain aspects of the performance.

Tell me about it.

I had to leave at half time due to a sickness bug. Throwing up in my seat was something I won’t forget for a long time.

On 18/06/2022 at 17:10, cidered abroad said:

He might be a reasonable coach but his biggest failing is the same as his father.

His man management is poor and additionally he is too fond of throwing his players under the nearest bus.

Same as pearson

• Hmmm 1

Just now, frenchred said:

Plenty of examples if you look back through the threads from last season but off the top of my head at different points during the season, Tanner, Bentley, Pring, Baginton, I'm sure there's more

Can you link me to a couple of interviews or whatever where he threw them under the bus? Even just one or two if you can't find them all would be good.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Can you link me to a couple of interviews or whatever where he threw them under the bus? Even just one or two if you can't find them all would be good.

They were all on Radio Bristol, usually post match after a bad result

Let's be clear though, at no point in this thread did I say it was wrong, just used as comparison to Gary Johnson who RR has a personal gripe against

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

And throws players under the bus on a regular occurance!

Got a link? I certainly don’t remember him calling a  particular player out……unless you consider “players not doing their job and making the same mistakes” is throwing a player under the bus?     :dunno:

I think you need @frenchredto clarify what he means by “throwing under the bus”.  One man’s scapegoating a player is another man’s honestly critiquing a player’s performance without blaming them.  Managers are allowed to talk about individual players pre and post match, and it doesn’t have to be about always blowing smoke up their arses too.  I trust Nige’s man-management style, the players seem to regard him highly and the sense you get from them is that he more “cuddly Nige” than the media Nige we see / hear.  With the exception of Bakinson who he let off steam about (possibly a bit OTT) I can’t recall coming away from a Nige interview thinking he’d thrown any player under the bus…but that’s just my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you need @frenchredto clarify what he means by “throwing under the bus”.  One man’s scapegoating a player is another man’s honestly critiquing a player’s performance without blaming them.  Managers are allowed to talk about individual players pre and post match, and it doesn’t have to be about always blowing smoke up their arses too.  I trust Nige’s man-management style, the players seem to regard him highly and the sense you get from them is that he more “cuddly Nige” than the media Nige we see / hear.  With the exception of Bakinson who he let off steam about (possibly a bit OTT) I can’t recall coming away from a Nige interview thinking he’d thrown any player under the bus…but that’s just my opinion.

I agree in the main @Davefevs.

However that NP nonsense of "If they're not on the bus, they are gone etc...". That he kept on using for 12 months, when it was quite obvious that those days of getting rid of players in that way were over from a financial perspective if nothing else; were somewhat tiring.....

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I imagine the same might be said for the people sitting next to you ?.

I was thinking more the person in front ! ?

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

Plenty of examples if you look back through the threads from last season but off the top of my head at different points during the season, Tanner, Bentley, Pring, Baginton, I'm sure there's more

What do you class as ‘throwing under a bus’