IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Is this something that happens? A player leaves on a permanent and the old club still puts in on wages? I understand if it’s a loan but that’s a crap position to find yourself in if they’re gone permanently!

Yes as we were dumb enough to pay him more than 20k a week, he’s not playing for us and not in out plans so best to strike a deal where we pay him off a % of those wages otherwise he will just sit on his contract 

why should he miss out?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Is this something that happens? A player leaves on a permanent and the old club still puts in on wages? I understand if it’s a loan but that’s a crap position to find yourself in if they’re gone permanently!

Doesn’t have to be, but means Kasey would have to accept us terminating his contract without any ongoing commitment.  He is not obliged to do that.

But also, Coventry can’t just expect to rock-up, get him on a free and pay minimal wages either on the expectation that City will bear all the loss / cost.  City won’t strengthen a rival on the cheap.

There will need to be some negotiating on all 3 sides.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Don't know if it was ever confirmed but there were strong suggestions that Ipswich were doing it with JET during his time with us.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Doesn’t have to be, but means Kasey would have to accept us terminating his contract without any ongoing commitment.  He is not obliged to do that.

But also, Coventry can’t just expect to rock-up, get him on a free and pay minimal wages either on the expectation that City will bear all the loss / cost.  City won’t strengthen a rival on the cheap.

When you say "strengthening".... 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The financials of this one will be interesting, should it happen.  The account that tweeted this are meant to be very reliable.

Free transfer with Coventry paying a large signing on fee for him to cover his wages for remaining city contract?? 

38 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Don't know if it was ever confirmed but there were strong suggestions that Ipswich were doing it with JET during his time with us.

The story was he was on £20k p.w. with Ipswich contributing half.  When his contract was up he still wanted his £20k, hence he went to QPR.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Coventry fans seem to think that we will rip up his contract in order to allow him to sign for them. 

I would assume that means that they pick up all of his wages, albeit on new reduced terms?

@Davefevs is that correct? Or would we continue to be tied to him financially? 

We won't rip up his contract, we may let him go for free if Coventry pay up the remainder of his contract which is over a million quid

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

We won't rip up his contract, we may let him go for free if Coventry pay up the remainder of his contract which is over a million quid

I struggle to follow the finances within transfers. 

So we would require Coventry to pay us out of his contract, or we continue to pay the difference between his new wage (Coventry) to the wage he was on with us? 

So say he signs a deal for £12k a week with Coventry, we would continue to pay £8k a week for the remaining year of his deal with us? 

4 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

So we would require Coventry to pay us out of his contract, or we continue to pay the difference between his new wage (Coventry) to the wage he was on with us? 

So say he signs a deal for £12k a week with Coventry, we would continue to pay £8k a week for the remaining year of his deal with us? 

It gets complicated with contracts and I'm not the best to explain it, there are people on this forum far more educated on thay side of thing,

But my understanding is when a player is sold before the end of his contract then that may have to be paid up especially if said player hasn't asked to leave,

I believe this is generally waived or reflected in ether the transfer fee or signing on fee,

But I could be wrong

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

That won’t happen 

city will terminate his contact so he can sign for Coventry as a free agent and will be contacted to them so they will pay all his wages 

1 minute ago, joshbristol said:

That won’t happen 

city will terminate his contact so he can sign for Coventry as a free agent and will be contacted to them so they will pay all his wages 

City won't terminate his contract we haven't got a spare million quid laying around to do that, what little money we have is needed to strengthen  

1 minute ago, joshbristol said:

Can't be 100% just yet, but it sounds like Bristol City will terminate his contract with no payout to allow him to join Coventry on a free transfer. Not definite, but it's what I'm hearing.

In that sense we could make a one off payment where we pay the difference between what Coventry are offering and what he was on with us or an agreed amount to make make him a free agent to make the move happen. If we can afford the one off payment it would help our wage bill on a per week basis.

Just now, citywest30 said:

Couldn't they mutually agree to the termination?

Yes which generally means paying up the remainder of his contract or getting Coventry to pay that up, which is over a million quid or a mutually beneficial sum that benefits both parties 

• Like 1