IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

We can all pontificate on this one, but for sure there will need to have been some compromise from all sides to make it happen. We will never know the details , though in this case it is pretty sure, overall, this would have cost us money. However, far less than his salary for one year plus his amortised fee. We move on, better for Kasey and City. That is football. 

Not sure he is a Coventry player mind, but that is something else. I hope he finds his mojo where his abilities match the teams requirements. Always seemed a very nice guy, but I could never see how he fitted any of the 3 City managers he played under. 

Agree, if his wages of £1m p.a. are to be believed, and his amortisation of £875k p.a also, then we are trying to avoid having to fork out as much of that £1.875m as possible next season.  Undoubtedly we won’t avoid all of it.

But we can’t just give him away either.  If this rumour is true then at least it feels as if Kasey has realised he’s got a career to be getting on with.  To wind his contract down here with no chance of playing would be pointless.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I want rid of Palmer as much as the next person, however I would say that the reaction on here is more akin to say Nicky Hunt leaving. 

Palmer hasn’t exactly been shit and the reality is that none of us really know what’s gone on behind the scenes - but Nige doesn’t fancy him. 

There’s a real feeling of a player we hate vibe going on and I don’t think that should be the case, he hasn’t really done anything wrong and you could argue he hasn’t had much of a chance potentially. 

Like I said, it’d be nice for Coventry to share his wages, but there’ll be no hate from me. 

I don’t hate Palmer, I still think there’s a player in there, but he needs to mature his game beyond u23 football.

He currently costs the club too much for the value we get, but that’s not his fault.

We haven’t heard of bad attitude, just that he hadn’t done enough to be ahead of other players.

I hope we do manage to move him on at as low a cost to us as possible, but I also hope he kickstarts his career. 

• Like 16

I think the best we ever saw with Kasey was when Afobe was scoring, the two of them clicked and that seemed to get the best out of him. Then we had the unfortunate injury to Benik and his tragic family loss, we don’t know what that might have done to Kasey. I think it’s best for all parties if he moves on to try and kick start his career again, this happens then we can all move on 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I want rid of Palmer as much as the next person, however I would say that the reaction on here is more akin to say Nicky Hunt leaving. 

Palmer hasn’t exactly been shit and the reality is that none of us really know what’s gone on behind the scenes - but Nige doesn’t fancy him. 

There’s a real feeling of a player we hate vibe going on and I don’t think that should be the case, he hasn’t really done anything wrong and you could argue he hasn’t had much of a chance potentially. 

Like I said, it’d be nice for Coventry to share his wages, but there’ll be no hate from me. 

He hasn't done much right either!!!!!!

Hating him doesn't enter my head; just disappointed that we, thanks to MA and Palmer, wasted a transfer fee and four years excessive salary. Thank goodness that we have a CEO and a Football Manager who are acting responsibly and not lining their own pockets.

• Like 2

Morning @Fordy62

No hate from me to Palmer.

I think he just exemplifies where we went wrong as a club, and like Wells is an example of lessons that need to be learnt (If they haven't already). 

Certain players now feel like some sort of financial millstones around our neck, regardless of their performances (or lack of them) on the pitch. Alongside Wells, Kalas also falls into this category. Stopping NP from reshaping the squad in the manner in which he wants us to progress.

As a club we just got a bit too ambitious financially, and like Icarus got burnt accordingly.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Morning @Fordy62

No hate from me to Palmer.

I think he just exemplifies where we went wrong as a club, and like Wells is an example of lessons that need to be learnt (If they haven't already). 

Certain players now feel like some sort of financial millstones around our neck, regardless of their performances (or lack of them) on the pitch. Alongside Wells, Kalas also falls into this category. Stopping NP from reshaping the squad in the manner in which he wants us to progress.

As a club we just got a bit too ambitious financially, and like Icarus got burnt accordingly.

Exactly, the fault is with the club not the player. Including Steve for allowing such profligacy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

There are certainly those who accuse him of having a bad attitude, something for which I know of no evidence. Others accuse him of being lazy, which I also don't see. If anything he sometimes tries too hard, and ends up losing the team shape.

There have certainly been no Bakinson style comments from Nigel, who tends not to hold back.

He just doesn't seem to be tactically disciplined, which may be why no manager has got a consistent tune out of him.

He seems to be a perfectly decent young man who doesn't deserve the hostility he gets at times. I wish him well.

I've not seen accusations of a bad attitude, what I have seen and think is that's he's a player wasting his talent and doesn't give the club value for money especially since he's one of the highest paid here,

Hate is a strong word, its more disappointment 

• Like 1

City can delay the shirt for another month if they can get this wrapped up quickly in my book. Announced tonight during the England game with a small transfer fee coming our way, pleeeeeease. 

Echoing above though, Palmer is far from a player I hate. Just financially better for the club if he moves on. Hope he does well at Cov (barring against us). 

34 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Financial millstone is a good way of describing it. I used “cost behemoth” to describe the overall state.

But you’re right, would we be suggesting moving TK on if we paid a similar fee / wages to Rob Atkinson.

As a club (and set of fans) we are trying to make squad recommendations based on financial not footballing reasons in some cases. That’s a crap position to be in, and the fault of the previous regime, the owner still being present.

It is why we still need to be patient. 

• Like 6

Think you've misread the room - it's relief at getting rid of a massive millstone round our neck - fingers crossed!.

A millstone we thought we were lumbered with for another 12 month and a perpetual reminder of all that was wrong about Ashton's tenure at our club. Yes we've still got other players he signed, expensive ones at that, but at least they're making a contribution.    

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

The biggest issues with Palmer being at our club are financial - the huge wage and transfer fee we paid for him. It's right to point out that neither are his fault, and the blame for this should lie predominantly with Mark Ashton. Addressing that financial burden is the main thing to be celebrated if a transfer does take place.

That being said, I really don't think Palmer has helped himself whilst here. Has he been sh*t? In terms of value for money, definitely. In absolute terms, he's been relatively poor IMO - he hasn't contributed a lot.

You correctly state that we don't know exactly what's happened behind the scenes, but 4 consecutive managers (including Steve Cooper) quickly relegating him to the bench or reserves is a pretty major red flag. I certainly feel he's had sufficient chances/opportunities too. I just generally get the impression that Palmer isn't THAT bothered about his development. Does he take some responsibility for his development? Or does he just turn up, go through the motions a bit, and hope for the best? Feels like another case of someone who prefers the footballer lifestyle to actually being a footballer. In many ways, he illustrates the rotten club culture that Pearson is aiming to rectify.

Palmer falls towards the bottom end of the 'likability scale' for me. By no means do I hate the guy, but I think he's more deserving of criticism than many other players who have left our club. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Think you've misread the room - it's relief at getting rid of a massive millstone round our neck - fingers crossed!.

A millstone we thought we were lumbered with for another 12 month and a perpetual reminder of all that was wrong about Ashton and Johnson’s tenure at our club. Yes we've still got other players he signed, expensive ones at that, but at least they're making a contribution.    

Yes… I may have misread the room and I hope I have. 

PS made a slight edit to the above! ? 

• Haha 1

I guess the thing to remember about Nagy and Aubameyang is that the players wanted to leave, rather than the club wanting to get rid.  With AN we facilitated it because he was respectful to the club with how he went about it.  He wasn't looking to move for financial reasons and we weren't actively trying to move him on.  It was purely family reasons.  Aubameyang wanted to go and so he was the one that would have had to make concessions to make that happen, not Arsenal.  In the case of KP, to the best of our knowledge he hasn't asked to leave (and why would he - it would affect him financially) but it's us that want to get rid, so we'd likely have to bend a little more than we'd want to in order to get at least a large portion of his wages off the books.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

But I've heard his wife does........Maybe this is the issue.

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think its probably more the mistakes of LJ and Swiss Tony that causes the resentment of Palmer. As a player like you say he's not done much wrong. 

Signing Kasey Palmer is like making love to a beautiful woman.  At the time it's wonderful and full of excitement, but ultimately it doesn't last long.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

He just doesn't seem to be tactically disciplined, 

You mean: "He's a liability when he doesn't have the ball" ?

If so, Cruyff's quote about a player having the ball for on average only 3 minutes in a game springs to mind, he said:

"...the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball? That is what determines whether you are a good player or not."

I don’t think boys like KP and many others like him grow up believing this from JC to be true - as a boy, skipping past 5 or 6 opponents at will, scoring 40 or 50 goals a season - they grow up believing they are incredibly special and talented, and have what it takes and are destined to be a special player for someone like Chelsea - and this talent certainly carries them a long way and gets them so far - even as far as lucrative professional contracts - but eventually most meet reality and the limits of their talent.

Then what?

Then, to be a "good player or not" is determined by other things, nothing to do with your ability to manipulate a ball.

And this is where, I imagine, boys like KP - feted for so long, told they are "special" or "talented" - struggle. To be good player ie get picked, involves a whole lot of stuff they believe is for other less talented boys and not for them. They can't or won't make the switch

It's not like KP will be unaware of what is required in professional football to be a good player, to be a regular First XI player, so what has he done about that in his time - he has had plenty of this here - here?

Is it a case of he "can't" or he "won't" ?

As I imagine it, some boys that grow up streets ahead of their peers and feted for their talent just can't be doing with what is required in those 87 minutes and when they are being rewarded as KP still is, and no doubt will be again when he's gone from here, then it must be tempting to think: why change?

They want the game to fit to how they are, not the other way round. 

I am guessing and speculating but KP has had long enough now - long enough here, long enough out on loan - to know what is required and do something about and adapt his game, but it hasn't happened. 

• Like 7

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Fans are always going to scorn players who seemingly don’t try their hardest. 

This seems to be especially true of City fans.  The likes of Nugent and Torpey and even (controversial I know) Marv etc were never the most gifted of players, but rarely were criticised because the effort they put in when selected endeared them to us.   

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

This seems to be especially true of City fans.  The likes of Nugent and Torpey and even (controversial I know) Marv etc were never the most gifted of players, but rarely were criticised because the effort they put in when selected endeared them to us.   

Absolutely.  I don’t think we have had many players over the years who fans would class as lazy, or not trying their hardest but there have certainly been a few.  Palmer, Hunt, Dinning, JET, Tomlin are a few names I can think of but that spans a number of seasons. 

That’s your opinion but plenty disagree 

Doesn't mean they're right. Palmer's been unlucky that, like a lot of players we've signed over the past 5 years, he hasn't been a good fit for the football we've tried to play and hasn't been surrounded by players that suit him. Add in a large salary and he's doomed to fail.

It's definitely best for him to leave, equally if he was on 10k a week I'd want him to stay. Calling the guy lazy isn't based off anything because he hasn't done anything to suggest he is. Just because a number 10 doesn't cover every blade of grass (wouldn't make sense for his role in the team) does not mean they're not trying.

It's lazy analysis, like moaning about HNM not scoring. It's irrelevant for their role in the team.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I think this is the mindset of most English fans. For example, and I’m generalising, Spanish fans couldn’t care less how much effort you put in, only if you’re good or not. Which is one of the reasons why Madrid fans have booed Ronaldo before, to us it seems insane to boo a player like that; but if a player doesn’t play well then they’re subject to abuse no matter who they are or how hard they work.

Absolutely.  I don’t think we have had many players over the years who fans would class as lazy, or not trying their hardest but there have certainly been a few.  Palmer, Hunt, Dinning, JET, Tomlin are a few names I can think of but that spans a number of seasons. 

3 of those players play attacking midfield. Makes you wonder.

15 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Torpey was critisied very harshly to say otherwise is wrong

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You mean: "He's a liability when he doesn't have the ball" ?

If so, Cruyff's quote about a player having the ball for on average only 3 minutes in a game springs to mind, he said:

"...the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball? That is what determines whether you are a good player or not."

I don’t think boys like KP and many others like him grow up believing this from JC to be true - as a boy, skipping past 5 or 6 opponents at will, scoring 40 or 50 goals a season - they grow up believing they are incredibly special and talented, and have what it takes and are destined to be a special player for someone like Chelsea - and this talent certainly carries them a long way and gets them so far - even as far as lucrative professional contracts - but eventually most meet reality and the limits of their talent.

Then what?

Then, to be a "good player or not" is determined by other things, nothing to do with your ability to manipulate a ball.

And this is where, I imagine, boys like KP - feted for so long, told they are "special" or "talented" - struggle. To be good player ie get picked, involves a whole lot of stuff they believe is for other less talented boys and not for them. They can't or won't make the switch

It's not like KP will be unaware of what is required in professional football to be a good player, to be a regular First XI player, so what has he done about that in his time - he has had plenty of this here - here?

Is it a case of he "can't" or he "won't" ?

As I imagine it, some boys that grow up streets ahead of their peers and feted for their talent just can't be doing with what is required in those 87 minutes and when they are being rewarded as KP still is, and no doubt will be again when he's gone from here, then it must be tempting to think: why change?

They want the game to fit to how they are, not the other way round. 

I am guessing and speculating but KP has had long enough now - long enough here, long enough out on loan - to know what is required and do something about and adapt his game, but it hasn't happened. 

Good Post @Bristol Oil Services

And the points you raised highlight for me why Alex Scott is such a good prospect.

Yes, he likes to get on the front foot, and be progressive. But he isn't afraid of getting involved (12 yellows ?) or sprinting back to cover for other players.

His determination to make do in the RWB position, and to give 100% is admirable as well.

All of these attributes seem somewhat lost on Mr Palmer at times. Undoubted talent, but from my perspective (like yours as well, by the look of it); the modern day footballer has to do so much more when they are out of possession.

Who knows whether a player like Jacki would have survived in the modern game. Players like Tomlin demonstrate the need for more than just a playmaker.

• Like 3