IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

19 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Doesn't mean they're right. Palmer's been unlucky that, like a lot of players we've signed over the past 5 years, he hasn't been a good fit for the football we've tried to play and hasn't been surrounded by players that suit him. Add in a large salary and he's doomed to fail.

It's definitely best for him to leave, equally if he was on 10k a week I'd want him to stay. Calling the guy lazy isn't based off anything because he hasn't done anything to suggest he is. Just because a number 10 doesn't cover every blade of grass (wouldn't make sense for his role in the team) does not mean they're not trying.

It's lazy analysis, like moaning about HNM not scoring. It's irrelevant for their role in the team.

I’d ask more questions Keg regarding ‘ laziness’ about his determination , or hunger to analyse , and improve his game , the hard work on the training pitches , how to play a part in a team unit , how to maximise his contribution and reduce his deficiencies .....

He has ability , he’s a South London Cage footballer , like many - the difference being that many of those have taken those skills and built on them for 11 v 11 football and the high demands of professional football 

That demands a different skill , one of the mind

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KegCity said:

3 of those players play attacking midfield. Makes you wonder.

If there is one position that players can get away with it then it’s probably attacking midfield. I’m the first to say that players are trying more than some might think but there are also players who certainly don’t put in the effort.  I don’t think it’s similar to HNM not scoring at all. That’s not his job.  When someone runs past Palmer and he gives up then I’m not going to ignore it just because he’s sometimes good at passing 

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Good Post @Bristol Oil Services

And the points you raised highlight for me why Alex Scott is such a good prospect.

Yes, he likes to get on the front foot, and be progressive. But he isn't afraid of getting involved (12 yellows ?) or sprinting back to cover for other players.

His determination to make do in the RWB position, and to give 100% is admirable as well.

All of these attributes seem somewhat lost on Mr Palmer at times. Undoubted talent, but from my perspective (like yours as well, by the look of it); the modern day footballer has to do so much more when they are out of possession.

Who knows whether a player like Jacki would have survived in the modern game. Players like Tomlin demonstrate the need for more than just a playmaker.

Scott is a cracking comparison. Doesn’t hide from his off ball side of the game 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If there is one position that players can get away with it then it’s probably attacking midfield. I’m the first to say that players are trying more than some might think but there are also players who certainly don’t put in the effort.  I don’t think it’s similar to HNM not scoring at all. That’s not his job.  When someone runs past Palmer and he gives up then I’m not going to ignore it just because he’s sometimes good at passing 

An attacking midfielder that bombs back isn't doing their job, they need to be an outlet up the pitch. It was one of the reasons Weimann was labelled a headless chicken at different points in his city career because he was chasing everyone down rather than staying in position and being an option. It's not their job. There's plenty of valid criticisms for Palmer but laziness isn't one of them.

For what it's worth last pre season he was tracking back and getting more stuck in, he injured a Celtic player after sprinting back and putting in a last ditch challenge. I thought he'd turned a corner but was never seen again, aside from a cameo against Fulham where he scored and changed the game for us.

16 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Good Post @Bristol Oil Services

And the points you raised highlight for me why Alex Scott is such a good prospect.

Yes, he likes to get on the front foot, and be progressive. But he isn't afraid of getting involved (12 yellows ?) or sprinting back to cover for other players.

His determination to make do in the RWB position, and to give 100% is admirable as well.

All of these attributes seem somewhat lost on Mr Palmer at times. Undoubted talent, but from my perspective (like yours as well, by the look of it); the modern day footballer has to do so much more when they are out of possession.

Who knows whether a player like Jacki would have survived in the modern game. Players like Tomlin demonstrate the need for more than just a playmaker.

Will he do that when he's playing through the middle? I don't think he will if he's played as a 10 but time will tell. Tomlin's issues were about attitude rather than tracking back or not, I think pre sausage roll Tomlin shows that you don't have to be flogging yourself all over the pitch to be effective.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

An attacking midfielder that bombs back isn't doing their job, they need to be an outlet up the pitch. It was one of the reasons Weimann was labelled a headless chicken at different points in his city career because he was chasing everyone down rather than staying in position and being an option. It's not their job. There's plenty of valid criticisms for Palmer but laziness isn't one of them.

For what it's worth last pre season he was tracking back and getting more stuck in, he injured a Celtic player after sprinting back and putting in a last ditch challenge. I thought he'd turned a corner but was never seen again, aside from a cameo against Fulham where he scored and changed the game for us.

Will he do that when he's playing through the middle? I don't think he will if he's played as a 10 but time will tell. Tomlin's issues were about attitude rather than tracking back or not, I think pre sausage roll Tomlin shows that you don't have to be flogging yourself all over the pitch to be effective.

I didn’t say that they had to bomb back.  

Palmer can do it in bursts of one game here and there but can never put a run of games together. That’s why he doesn’t get picked.  It’s why he is about to join his 7th club at the age of 25.  It is why he has never appeared in more than 25 league games in a season.  

You can make as many excuses as you want but ultimately he has failed to impress many managers in the game.  Good luck to him at Coventry though, I hope he refocuses and can put effort in over a run of games 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I honestly never heard anything about him. I stand corrected in his case then. Certainly nothing around where I sat, and I think he just about pre-dates the forum.

I think it was more his goal scoring ability,

That or knocking out mark lever at grimsby 

13 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Whatever the end result is with Palmer, from my perspective; he will go down as the worst signing ever in financial terms since I started supporting the club (1978).

He always had the whiff of a "Vanity Signing" for Swiss if you ask me. That period of time when we were literally burning pound notes whilst signing Kalas & Dasilva from Chelsea too. TK and JD have acquitted themselves reasonably/very well (depending on your point of view) but KP was, for me, always the one that was a bridge too far to have been made a permanent signing. 

15 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Don't know if it was ever confirmed but there were strong suggestions that Ipswich were doing it with JET during his time with us.

That was a weird one, wasn't it, as didn't Paul Anderson go as part of the "swap-deal" for JET? 

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

I honestly never heard anything about him. I stand corrected in his case then. Certainly nothing around where I sat, and I think he just about pre-dates the forum.

To back what Monkeh said Torpey was always the subject of a lot of spite near where I sat. I thought it was uncalled for as he was a hard working player who complimented Akinbiyi in a similar way to how Heskey complimented Owen. I got the impression it was because better strikers like Soren Anderson and Tony Thorpe were left out but as I said they didn't compliment Akinbiyi.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Torpey was critisied very harshly to say otherwise is wrong

If so then those who responsible were either unaware of his health issues or just plain cruel. With today's concussion protocols he wouldn't get back on a pitch within a year of fracturing his skull. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

He always had the whiff of a "Vanity Signing" for Swiss if you ask me. That period of time when we were literally burning pound notes whilst signing Kalas & Dasilva from Chelsea too. TK and JD have acquitted themselves reasonably/very well (depending on your point of view) but KP was, for me, always the one that was a bridge too far to have been made a permanent signing. 

This is another one of the big frustrations for me. We had him on loan - we knew exactly what we were getting. It just makes the transfer fee and wages we committed to even more ludicrous.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I do wonder if there was some sort of "gentleman's agreement" where we agreed to take all 3 on loan, and agreed to buy them at the end of the season. With JD and TK they were announced fairly early on, and most agreed were great signings at the time. With KP the opinion on him was more split.

LJ said he wanted him for a full pre-season, that didn't happen. KP was announced quite late into the pre-season, and hasn't really played that much when compared to JD and TK. I wonder if most of that pre-season had Ashton grovelling at Chelsea to not take on Palmer, however if/when they threatened to stop all future deals between the clubs, he decided to go through with it regardless.

Of course I have no idea if any of the above happened, but the Palmer transfer has always baffled me because it goes against what LJ was saying/wanting at the time.

I don't dislike Palmer, he has just never suited our style of play. It's a strange transfer.

57 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Has moving Palmer on delayed further signings. Did we need the savings on his wages before we could sign further  targets. 

No,

Transfers aren't done 1 at a time,

Remember the squad isn't back for pre season

The transfer window is technically still closed

Players are still technically contracted till the end of this month

56 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

I thought torps got knocked out at grimsby.... 

That's it, wasn't it his debut and against future city centre back mark lever,

It's a long long time ago so my memory is tricking me,

I do remember him always getting abuse though

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Has moving Palmer on delayed further signings. Did we need the savings on his wages before we could sign further  targets. 

It's still really early in the window, so I doubt it's delayed much.

Also this is always the case of clubs, it's a bit like buying a house. Some clubs would want other players off their books first, some clubs would want to line up deals before they let players go etc. Lots of chains.

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

This was my argument with you before. Palmer is positionally/tactically poor defensively . When you say he gives up If a player runs past , it’s simply not true. Many a time he’s chased  back to put a tackle in . Trouble with him is his defensive attributes are not good enough. I’ve always had the stance with him that he’s still playing academy football in his head or 5 a side . He needs to change his mentally in that respect yes . But he’s not lazy . Best for all parties when he moves on though 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This was my argument with you before. Palmer is positionally/tactically poor defensively . When you say he gives up If a player runs past , it’s simply not true. Many a time he’s chased  back to put a tackle in . Trouble with him is his defensive attributes are not good enough. I’ve always had the stance with him that he’s still playing academy football in his head or 5 a side . He needs to change his mentally in that respect yes . But he’s not lazy . Best for all parties when he moves on though 

I’ve seen him give up a fair few times. He has a couple of games where he’s on it but can’t sustain the determination over a period of games. That’s how I see it anyway but appreciate we disagree! Certainly agree it’s best he moves on. 

• Like 2