IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

44 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I remember thinking at the time that comment "I need a preseason to work with him" was a bit bizarre.

This was a player that LJ had already had at the club for 5-6 months. Surely KP would have had opportunities during that time to either get up to the required fitness levels, or develop alongside the rest of the squad.

For me, it was more "I'm looking forward to having a preseason to figure out how I'm going to use him". More representative of him being not particularly 100% behind the signing in the first place.

Palmer got himself very fit that summer, working with Jamie Lawrence (similar to B2A).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

get in vets with a bit of experience at this level, and match them with some some promising players looking to step up from leagues one/two and the youth players.

Yes I fully recognise the common sense employed in this approach - 

Something missing in between the two ends of that scale for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Didn’t Palmer join right at the end of the preseason anyway, so whilst he was physically fit, he wasn’t there for most of LJ’s work with the team?

Yes, exactly right, in the week building up to the Leeds game!

Which makes the signing more weird!

I fall on the side of him being lazy tbh, however he is being very lazy with his career. Fairly sure most would agree to that. I get the fact he is earning a lot of money, but surely he needs to be playing. It must be soul destroying for him to see 18 year old lads on the bench ahead of him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Didn’t Palmer join right at the end of the preseason anyway, so whilst he was physically fit, he wasn’t there for most of LJ’s work with the team?

Yes, if I remember it correctly, Palmer actually went on tour to Germany with Chelsea, as Lampard hadn’t made his mind up on him. Once the tour ended, things started moving towards him coming to City. COYR 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rednotblue said:

Palmer was a strange signing at the time.

You buy this type of player and build your team around it. As SOD did with JET.

Sod didn't build a team around jet, we didn't have a team until sod left, we had individuals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rednotblue said:

Palmer was a strange signing at the time.

You buy this type of player and build your team around it. As SOD did with JET.

Even more so as it came a couple of weeks after signing Szcmodics (sic) for a similar role.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

So is this actually going to happen..?

Medical isn't until next week annoyingly. If we're planning to move on Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, HNM, Tyreeq Bakinson and Kasey Palmer it feels as though we need to get a move on.

Edit - I'm being pretty impatient here, window doesn't even open until Friday :D

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I think my opinion is correct and you think your opinion is correct. That’s what opinions are.  It’s a football forum where many opinions are given.  Your opinion is that I am wrong.  It’s a weird response really as you start by saying ‘your opinion….’ and then do exactly the same yourself.  I’m not the only person who thinks Palmer is lazy so it’s not as if my opinion is a unique one.  Calm yourself down mate. 

Very calm thank you. The thing is I’m willing to bet running stats would prove he’s not lazy as you say . If that is true which I suspect it is then that would make your opinion redundant red Dave 

8 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes I fully recognise the common sense employed in this approach - 

Something missing in between the two ends of that scale for me.

Hopefully we’ll find that balance.

Like with everything; extreme approaches can often end up over extending themselves.

Where we are right now we maybe need to be more conservative in terms of having a competitive team in front of anything else, but unless we end up in the Prem we’ll likely always have to be open to selling anyone decent for a solid price.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The latest fascinating update from his missus on Insta, was he had lobster pasta and was going for a massage. Didn't look much like Coventry

Don't like to compare players often, but you look at the difference in mindset between Palmer and Kane Wilson. 

Wilson flies back early to complete the deal and take part in fitness testing, before returning to his family holiday. 

Whereas Palmer, who hasn't played football for most of the season, has a team waiting for him to sign, and is in no rush to return to complete the deal that could get his career back on track. 

It might sound harsh, and Coventry are obviously willing to wait for him to return, but I would have expected him to be keen to rush this deal through. 

• Confused 2

@petehintonposted that KP is (was?) in the Maldives with pregnant wife and young family…not the easiest place to get back from (connecting flights etc), nor wanting to leave wife on her own with the kids.  Sounds fair enough to me.  Agent can sort out the details ahead of the speculated medical.

Out of interest do we know where Kane Wilson was on holiday too?  Might’ve been Portugal judging from BristolOli on twitter.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, super slick said:

It doesn’t sound harsh it sounds wrong.

Wilson was on holiday in Portugal, it’s a 2 hour flight and several per day from Bristol.

Palmer is in the Maldives, with a heavily pregnant partner and 2 young children, completely different set of circumstances.

I am by no means a bonafide ‘ITK’ but i do get little bits and bobs occasionally and as it happens that the Palmer situation was one of them that popped up recently.

Palmer is not the bad guy in his Bristol City career, the club decided to pay Chelsea a big fee for him, The club decided to offer him 20k a week, the club then decided he actually doesn’t fit in any of the managers plans, the club decided they wanted to recall him from Swansea - not the player. Palmer was keen on a permanent move to Cardiff in January, the clubs couldn’t agree on that.

Palmers attitude has never been questioned by management, Pearson has no problem with him on a personal level, he just doesn’t fancy him as a player simple as that. He isn’t this troublemaker that loves the lifestyle without being a footballer that everyone makes him out to be. He is incredibly family orientated and a pretty popular member of the squad. 

Was also a pretty integral part of our food bank work back in the lockdown of 2020. Him and Shannon did a lot of their own back, something that an overwhelming majority of the squad didn’t do. 

But that doesn’t fit the agenda. 

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Was also a pretty integral part of our food bank work back in the lockdown of 2020. Him and Shannon did a lot of their own back, something that an overwhelming majority of the squad didn’t do. 

But that doesn’t fit the agenda. 

I really don't think there is an agenda, just ignorance.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Forget the flying back but Palmer in the Maldives when Wilson in Portugal… can tell what they both earn, or more what Wilson was earning before, 2 very different players and 2 different mentalities 

yep one out of contract looking for a club, one under contract who has time to sort out a club while still getting paid.  the difference is the situation rather then mentalities

I wouldn't try to work out their  mentalities, is Wilson Married with Kids?  I don't know, I know Palmer is with another on the way so I would expect he is doing what his right for his family.  If Wilson has family I expect getting on a plane and signing on with a substantial pay rise before you stop getting paid by you previous club is quite an incentive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KegCity said:

There’s a pretty clear agenda that he’s a lazy player on and off the pitch with many saying he has a bad attitude. It’s based on nothing.

I'm not seeing the comments about his bad attitude (I could of course be missing them), but understand the lazy comments. His approach to the game at times, and I'm talking about when he is on the pitch, can APPEAR to be lazy, but think that's in a similar way that JET could appear lazy at times. Difference being JET was so unpredictable and could pull something out of nothing, that a lot of people ignored the lazy bits. Palmer isn't that sort of player, so can't get away with it as much.

As for the bad attitude, as I said I may have missed the comments, but what I do see is a lot of comments based on hearsay, and because it's been said a few times, regardless of whether there is any substance to it, then it becomes the truth. It's a bit like people saying Pearson doesn't like or do loans - I have never seen/heard him say that. What I have seen/heard is that he doesn't like loans unless it means that the players coming in are significantly better than the ones you currently have, and that they don't come in and upset the squad. Again, if you say something enough times, it becomes the "truth".

As I said in both cases (KP's "bad attitude" and NP’s dislikes to loans), I'll openly hold my hands up and say I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything other than the postman's cat mentioning about bad attitudes.

@KegCity, sorry this "rant" isn't aimed directly at you and I apologise if it seems like it is, but there does seem to be a lot of "facts" being thrown about recently, that are actually just opinions, or opinions based on others assumptions.

Pearson himself has said that Palmers attitude isn't in question, just that he doesn't seem to be his type of player. When Bakinson left (on loan - that will be interesting if he makes it back from Ipswich) Nige made it abundantly clear that his attitude stank. He'd have no problem saying that about Palmer if that were the case.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1