IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

A move works for all parties, but for me this will always be a 'what if' signing. 

His link up with Afobe and Weimann looked to suit his style. But there were too many gaps in other areas of his game. 

Showed moments of brilliance, such as the Northampton cup game, where he seemed to control the tempo of the match. 

Wish him well, and I think Coventry is a great move for him. Just one of those deals that didn't work out. 

The main thing for us, is that we are now turning a corner and no longer offering these ridiculous wages. Nige will build a squad based on equal pay. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Technically a gifted player that pass he put over for Brownhill to get a last minute winner (forgot who against) was pure magic and like someone mentioned his understanding with Afobe was class. However he doesnt seem to like to tackle or head the ball and will never chase back when to win the ball back when he's lost it.. Overall a very lazy player, a world beater for the 1st couple of games when hes got something to prove then he slips into his comfort zone and appears to not want to be out there ..   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

A move works for all parties, but for me this will always be a 'what if' signing. 

His link up with Afobe and Weimann looked to suit his style. But there were too many gaps in other areas of his game. 

Showed moments of brilliance, such as the Northampton cup game, where he seemed to control the tempo of the match. 

Wish him well, and I think Coventry is a great move for him. Just one of those deals that didn't work out. 

The main thing for us, is that we are now turning a corner and no longer offering these ridiculous wages. Nige will build a squad based on equal pay. 

My sentiments too.

Good luck to him.

If he’s waived the right to his contract here to enable a free transfer, then well done City and KP, it needed compromise from at least 2 parties.  Cov may have conpromised too.  At least he’s trying to move his career forward.

Assuming the above is true, then that is £1m in this season cost forecast that can be removed.

• Like 8

A really strange one is KP. Clearly talented would often put a shift in (in fact some of his slide tackles terrified me) & decent goals/assists ratio for minutes on the pitch. However the no. Of managers that he has underwhelmed grows ever larger & he has to take responsibility for that. 

Grateful for some of the glorious through balls (esp. to Brownhill home to Charlton) & wish him the best for the future, but I hope for his careers sake he knuckles down & listens to whatever advice Robins gives him.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming the above is true, then that is £1m in this season cost forecast that can be removed.

Indeed. Let's say £1.5m in wages saved if we take O'Dowda into account. 

So if the number of players leaving roughly equals the number joining I guess the effect on the wage bill would be cost neutral at worst.

Possibly we might be spending less. Just because we are told we have the same wage budget as last season it doesn't necessarily follow that we will spend to that limit. I certainly don't see Nigel thinking "I have £x to spend so I have to use it all".

Better squad+lower wage bill=result!?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

A really strange one is KP. Clearly talented would often put a shift in (in fact some of his slide tackles terrified me) & decent goals/assists ratio for minutes on the pitch. However the no. Of managers that he has underwhelmed grows ever larger & he has to take responsibility for that. 

Grateful for some of the glorious through balls (esp. to Brownhill home to Charlton) & wish him the best for the future, but I hope for his careers sake he knuckles down & listens to whatever advice Robins gives him.

Agree with this, very talented player and despite some views think he did try hard when on the pitch, but perhaps there has been a lot of behind the scenes issues maybe with attitude that upset managers and they fall out.

If he gets in a club that panders to his needs, or he realises the error of his ways, then sure they will have a great player

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Agree with this, very talented player and despite some views think he did try hard when on the pitch, but perhaps there has been a lot of behind the scenes issues maybe with attitude that upset managers and they fall out.

If he gets in a club that panders to his needs, or he realises the error of his ways, then sure they will have a great player

Or maybe the fact that he failed on loan at Derby, Blackburn & Swansea & did virtually nothing on loan with us to ever justify making it permanent (thanks Ashton & LJ) suggests the problem is actually with the player?

How many times can people make excuses for someone whose only consistency is in failing to deliver?

He had about 5 good games for us, cost £3.5m, another £1m a year (plus) in wages for 3 years, yet some are still posting we’ll regret this.

What I regret is that we ever bought him.

A complete & utter disaster of a signing.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Or maybe the fact that he failed on loan at Derby, Blackburn & Swansea & did virtually nothing on loan with us to ever justify making it permanent (thanks Ashton & LJ) suggests the problem is actually with the player?

How many times can people make excuses for someone whose only consistency is in failing to deliver?

He had about 5 good games for us, cost £3.5m, another £1m a year (plus) in wages for 3 years, yet some are still posting we’ll regret this.

There are, at least , two sides to every story. We may regret him going or we may be grateful he’s gone depending on how it turns out. 
We have Scott who is younger and as good if not better. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also agree with your sentiments too (you big Pato lover ???)…but SL / MA / LJ agreed to sign the player, and at least 2 of those 3 agreed to the fee and the wages, so I think that aspect shouldn’t be held against Palmer per se.

What we are seeing from Cov, is a sensible financial approach to signing him….a free transfer, and lower wages (more in line with his career record / ability.

We overpaid, Chelsea pulled our pants down at £3.5m.  But hardly surprising, I don’t think our CEO was that good at his job (Richard Latham has made that point in the past, regardless of MA’s “personality”).  They sucker us in with Kalas, and stuffed us with KP financially.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Irrespective of the fee and wages we stupidly accepted to bring KP here, he has shown little in the way of working hard. A footballer with his ability and talent is useless if the effort and team play is missing. So why didn't the trio in charge realise that was the reason why Chelsea and all his loan clubs were not wanting him permanently?

Almost as poor a signing as Nick Hunt, Brian Mitchell and that midfielder in the 90's who's name escapes me.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There are, at least , two sides to every story. We may regret him going or we may be grateful he’s gone depending on how it turns out. 
We have Scott who is younger and as good if not better. 

I'd disagree - this is a positive step for us regardless of how it turns out for him at Coventry

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

There doesn't seem to be any actual evidence he has a bad attitude. Certainly Nigel has never criticised him on those grounds.

The thing is you can have lots of talent but not have a football brain, which always seemed to be the issue to me. 

Which doesn't mean he's the bad guy so I wish him well.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not so sure I buy into the narrative when people say that he did nothing to warrant a permanent deal whilst on loan with us. 

Scored on his debut, hugely involved in Fam’s winner at Forest, brilliant assist for Weimann’s second at Sheff Utd, scored what should’ve been a winner against Wigan, totally changed the game away at Millwall penultimate game of that season. 

Don’t get me wrong, not enough to warrant £3.5m, but that’s on Ashton. Definitely not needed after signing Szcmodics. That’s on LJ & Ashton. 

When you’ve got the manager publicly saying he wants you, the club gives you a 4 year deal, and within months you have the manager blaming you for awful team performances after playing about 9 minutes (Shrewsbury away), it makes a mockery of the whole thing. 

Don’t think it was the wrong signing at all, but definitely signed at the wrong time and for far too much cash. Again, that’s not on the player imo

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

There doesn't seem to be any actual evidence he has a bad attitude. Certainly Nigel has never criticised him on those grounds.

The thing is you can have lots of talent but not have a football brain, which always seemed to be the issue to me. 

Which doesn't mean he's the bad guy so I wish him well.

Players are system dependant, a lot of people on here don't seem to appreciate that. We've seen flashes of his talent when he's had Afobe/Wells in front of him and when he's been allowed to implement his game. Asking him to track back and do a lot of unnecessary running makes him less effective than allowing him to be an outlet up the pitch that can then release a striker.

For me, it's a combination of bad luck and a lack of versatility that's held him back here. It's nothing to do with talent or attitude despite what a lot of people say.

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Almost as poor a signing as Nick Hunt, Brian Mitchell and that midfielder in the 90's who's name escapes me.

That could be an awful lot of players but I guess you're thinking of Tony Dinning? World Beater to Panel Beater. Didn't last long. 

*edit* just checked and Dinning was 2004/05 so maybe not him, then! 

Edited by CyderInACan

Unlike quite a few posters I think KP actually tried too hard to impress. 
He tried the ‘ Hollywood ‘ pass often too early and was so desperate to play his part defensively that he often fouled the opponent. 
I would have liked to see him given a run in the team and the confidence of his manager so that he could build up the rapport with his teammates and affect the game more.

As I have mentioned previously, Scott has taken his place.

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Players are system dependant, a lot of people on here don't seem to appreciate that. We've seen flashes of his talent when he's had Afobe/Wells in front of him and when he's been allowed to implement his game. Asking him to track back and do a lot of unnecessary running makes him less effective than allowing him to be an outlet up the pitch that can then release a striker.

For me, it's a combination of bad luck and a lack of versatility that's held him back here. It's nothing to do with talent or attitude despite what a lot of people say.

And yet multiple managers haven't found a system that works for him, which seems significant. Maybe Robins will. I hope so for Kasey's sake.

Of course you don't want any player doing unnecessary running but you do want them running intelligently and playing their part in both the attacking and the defensive structure. The latter is less about chasing back (though you still need to put in the work I don't see him as lazy) more about intelligent positioning, judging when to press and when not and so on.

The days of indulging a player on the grounds of talent alone seem to be long gone.

• Like 2