IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Unlike quite a few posters I think KP actually too hard to impress. 
He tried the ‘ Hollywood ‘ pass often too early and was so desperate to play his part defensively that he often fouled the opponent. 
I would have liked to see him given a run in the team and the confidence of his manager so that he could build up the rapport with his teammates and affect the game more.

As I have mentioned previously, Scott has taken his place.

That pass to Brownhill for the late late winner at home to Charlton will live long in the memory.

There's definitely a player there. Let's see what Robins is able to achieve, as Cooper certainly couldn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

A very reliable social media commentator on Transfers.

Normally the one that gets closest to being 100% correct.

Yes, though he would call himself a journalist I think. Used to work for Sky Italia, now more of a freelancer. Along with David Ornstein probably the most itk on transfers thanks to the serious contacts they have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

That pass to Brownhill for the late late winner at home to Charlton will live long in the memory.

There's definitely a player there. Let's see what Robins is able to achieve, as Cooper certainly couldn't.

He has scored some decent goals too. Even direct from a corner i seem to remember.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KegCity said:

(1) Players are system dependant, a lot of people on here don't seem to appreciate that. We've seen flashes of his talent when he's had Afobe/Wells in front of him and when he's been allowed to implement his game. Asking him to track back and do a lot of unnecessary running makes him less effective than allowing him to be an outlet up the pitch that can then release a striker.

For me, it's a combination of bad luck and a lack of versatility that's held him back here. (2) It's nothing to do with talent or attitude despite what a lot of people say.

(1) There is some truth in what you're saying, but I think fans have sometimes used those excuses a little too much for Palmer. I've seen suggestions that Palmer's failings are because:

• He hasn't had a long enough run in the team
  • He needs players around him that understand him better
  • He needed Afobe to stay fit
  • He needed to play with more mobile strikers ahead of him
  • He needed to be completely relieved of defensive responsibilities
  • He needed more time to improve his own fitness
  • He needed a more positive attacking manager
  • Etc, etc, etc.....

Ultimately, if you've spent years struggling under various systems, with various managers, at various clubs, then responsibility has to fall on you. 

(2) I think people are sometimes a bit narrow minded with their definition of "talent" in football - it's often used to refer almost exclusively to technical ability. In reality, there are other important elements of 'talent' required to be a successful footballer. Palmer is reasonably talented with regard to his technical ability, but there are other areas in which he is clearly lacking in natural talent. Consider his 'football brain' - his understanding of the game and his ability to focus on it. Consider the issues he's had with physical fitness in his career.

When you look at the full picture of what makes a good footballer, I'm not sure Palmer is quite as talented as some may say he is. I certainly don't subscribe to the theories that:
A) He's a brilliant footballer who would be one of the best in the league if he just tried a bit harder
B) He's a brilliant footballer who has just been unlucky here

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Irrespective of the fee and wages we stupidly accepted to bring KP here, he has shown little in the way of working hard. A footballer with his ability and talent is useless if the effort and team play is missing. So why didn't the trio in charge realise that was the reason why Chelsea and all his loan clubs were not wanting him permanently?

Almost as poor a signing as Nick Hunt, Brian Mitchell and that midfielder in the 90's who's (whose ?) name escapes me.

I know who you mean, his name is on the tip of my tongue.

Wait, wait, No, Sorry, I've lost it ?.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Or maybe the fact that he failed on loan at Derby, Blackburn & Swansea & did virtually nothing on loan with us to ever justify making it permanent (thanks Ashton & LJ) suggests the problem is actually with the player?

How many times can people make excuses for someone whose only consistency is in failing to deliver?

He had about 5 good games for us, cost £3.5m, another £1m a year (plus) in wages for 3 years, yet some are still posting we’ll regret this.

What I regret is that we ever bought him.

A complete & utter disaster of a signing.

Who is making excuses for him? quite the opposite I suggested perhaps its his off field attitude that causes the problem and why he has fallen out with a number of different managers

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Who is making excuses for him? quite the opposite I suggested perhaps its his off field attitude that causes the problem and why he has fallen out with a number of different managers

Has he “fallen out” with any previous managers?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Has he “fallen out” with any previous managers?

as per Graham C, failed on loan at Derby, Blackburn & Swansea, not been 1st choice and had consistent run under LJ or Holden, it does not appear to be down to talent, so either has an attitude problem on the pitch and cant follow instructions or attitude problem off the pitch where he sulks and is negative

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

There doesn't seem to be any actual evidence he has a bad attitude. Certainly Nigel has never criticised him on those grounds.

The thing is you can have lots of talent but not have a football brain, which always seemed to be the issue to me. 

Which doesn't mean he's the bad guy so I wish him well.

Im not sure, lots of comments about not being on the bus, would say to me a player whose attitude is an issue.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

as per Graham C, failed on loan at Derby, Blackburn & Swansea, not been 1st choice and had consistent run under LJ or Holden, it does not appear to be down to talent, so either has an attitude problem on the pitch and cant follow instructions or attitude problem off the pitch where he sulks and is negative

You are right to point out he has failed pretty much everywhere, possibly the exception being the Huddersfield promotion season.

Most of the comments about him don’t seem to question his attitude. We can all debate whether he is lazy or not but I’ve not seen any negative comments about his attitude. He could just not be good enough

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 1

Palmer. London. Bristol. North Street area. Heathrow (think KP has been there). Missing/wasted millions. Stealing a living. Melt down. Costa del Maldives. 

We've been here before. You'd think we'd learn. 

No more Palmers, no more millions.

Didn't the first one live at Lansdown?

Ps. Hope this time it ends differently (ie, sent to Coventry. Lives happily ever after - stealing a living off them, not us).

• The title was changed to Palmer signs for Coventry