IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m sure the club will reveal private and confidential contracts to you. Maybe give them a call.

He is gone. That’s a good thing. 

I’m sure the club will reveal private and confidential contracts to you. Maybe give them a call.

He is gone. That’s a good thing. 

It's a undisclosed so they aren't going to do that but looking at everything else that's been part of our financial management of KP how much do you think we have paid them?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The bizarre thing was we signed Sammie Szmodics a week or so earlier. He was happy to join City and make the step up and we were happy to have him, it looked a promising signing. Then we splashed out £4M for Palmer in the same position and suddenly we were debating who to loan Szmodics to!! It really illustrated that there wasn't a coherent plan backstage at Ashton Gate.

As for the signing itself and the fact the club lost out massively my thoughts upon it, like the fee Coventry have 'paid' will best remain undisclosed 

Worse was that he'd not exactly solved our problems during his initial loan spell. IMO he'd not shown himself to be a player that made us better at defeating our opponents. Certainly not to the point that we should spend £4m on him.

1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

We must have paid so much money for that one good through ball he did

Don't forget Northampton at home. We'll always have Northampton. 

• Like 4

On 06/06/2022 at 20:15, BCFCGav said:

Is this something that happens? A player leaves on a permanent and the old club still puts in on wages? I understand if it’s a loan but that’s a crap position to find yourself in if they’re gone permanently!

Yes good his gone for city, and I wish all the best in his future. But it's the finances on this one which make it a good deal or not for city.

20 minutes ago, daored said:

How many of our fans were saying that at the time? Hindsight is a wonderful thing 

I certainly wasn't singing "sign him up".  I hadn't been convinced at all in his loan spell and thought he flattered to deceive.  A guy who looks good for about 5% of the match is going to be found-out in the Championship. 

I suppose when we signed him, I gave him (and the club) the benefit and thought "he's a young player, he can improve" but I trust Pearson's judgement implicitly that he hasn't improved into the sort of player we can use.  He was not so much a "luxury player" as a "white elephant player". 

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I certainly wasn't singing "sign him up".  I hadn't been convinced at all in his loan spell and thought he flattered to deceive.  A guy who looks good for about 5% of the match is going to be found-out in the Championship. 

I suppose when we signed him, I gave him (and the club) the benefit and thought "he's a young player, he can improve" but I trust Pearson's judgement implicitly that he hasn't improved into the sort of player we can use.  He was not so much a "luxury player" as a "white elephant player". 

Me neither.

My recollection is it was about 50/50, despite what is now being said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really liked KP45 and wish him all the best. We're moving in a different direction though with NP.

The difference is rather than doing an Ashton in collecting players or "clubs in the bag" and leaving it up to the Head Coach to mould a team out of what he's given, NP is looking more long term at the collective for the team.

• Like 5

Somewhat bewildered that we signed him, but there was a player in there.

A player that probably needed stability, a clearly defined role with games to develop some playing partnerships and understandings with colleagues. That hasn’t been us for the last 5 years. Just couldn’t perform and realise his potential in our dysfunctional team.

Arguably, someone on his wages (and talent) should be capable of imposing their own game on even a rudderless team and provide some leadership. Wasn’t to be. Massive waste of £££.

Another one of Ashton’s ‘good humans’ moves on. We will soon have a complete team of bastards. Bring on the Millwall, Blackburn and the rest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me neither.

My recollection is it was about 50/50, despite what is now being said.

Alongside the utterly cringe lyrics, it was one of the things that irked me most about the Kasey Palmer song. Folks were belting it out when he hadn't done enough really to deserve having his own song.  Plenty of other players should've been ahead of him in the adulation stakes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Alongside the utterly cringe lyrics, it was one of the things that irked me most about the Kasey Palmer song. Folks were belting it out when he hadn't done enough really to deserve having his own song.  Plenty of other players should've been ahead of him in the adulation stakes. 

I don’t disagree, personal thoughts on Palmer was it was a signing that just didn’t make sense - we already had Paterson and had earlier signed Szmodics who had started pre season relatively well. Palmer signs, then Paterson goes on loan , to come back into the team. If ever there was a signing that displayed the scatter gun approach to transfers under Johnson & Ashton era this was it. 
My recollection of fan demand for the signing was it felt a large proportion but maybe the loudest! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, daored said:

I don’t disagree, personal thoughts on Palmer was it was a signing that just didn’t make sense - we already had Paterson and had earlier signed Szmodics who had started pre season relatively well. Palmer signs, then Paterson goes on loan , to come back into the team. If ever there was a signing that displayed the scatter gun approach to transfers under Johnson & Ashton era this was it. 
My recollection of fan demand for the signing was it felt a large proportion but maybe the loudest! 

Work all summer with a 4231 built on:

Webster, Kalas

Pack, Brownhill 

Weimann, Szmodics or Paterson , Eliasson or Paterson

Diedhiou

Then toss it all up in the air in the week leading up to the season, and then after one game after a defeat v Leeds (and that’s wider than just Palmer). Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

I was comfy to sign Palmer, just the way we did it was wrong.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

KP will go down as one of the worst signings ever made from a decision making perspective. It’s disappointing for any signing not to workout but we literally had the guy for several months on loan and there were already signs that it wouldn’t work out which our management team chose to ignore.

55 minutes ago, Ecko said:

We gave him a 4 year contract?! What a clueless bastard Ashton is

Not really. 
if you spend that much on someone (transfer fee + wages + inevitable agents fee) you’ll want to a) spread it over a longer period AND ensure you have a long enough contract that when he fulfils his promise (reveal: he didn’t) you’ve got contract leverage to make someone come in with big money

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Work all summer with a 4231 built on:

Webster, Kalas

Pack, Brownhill 

Weimann, Szmodics or Paterson , Eliasson or Paterson

Diedhiou

Then toss it all up in the air in the week leading up to the season, and then after one game after a defeat v Leeds (and that’s wider than just Palmer). Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

I was comfy to sign Palmer, just the way we did it was wrong.

Exactly and I don’t like to quote your pal on FBC podcast but he’s right when he says the manager should go to the board with a list of players and explain how they’d fit into a system. As you show there was no plan for Palmer to fit into out system  yet the purchase was sanctioned. It was an expensive acquisition with no real thought into it and ultimately we’re paying the penalty as a club now.

5 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I was very surprised that we signed him after a very average loan spell so no hindsight here pal

I didn’t say all our fans 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

I think Cov fans will be happy with that signing, perhaps as much as most of us are to see him move on.

Thats another tick against our transfer business so far.

It’s going very well, moved quickly to secure signings and now clearing the decks of who is not required. 

Well done RG, a very good transfer window so far with a few more moves both ways still to be done 

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

It's a undisclosed so they aren't going to do that but looking at everything else that's been part of our financial management of KP how much do you think we have paid them?

That was going through my head as well. Not beyond belief. Some people will go nuts on here if that was found to be correct. Like sh*ttin' the bed, best to forget this ever happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daored said:

Exactly and I don’t like to quote your pal on FBC podcast but he’s right when he says the manager should go to the board with a list of players and explain how they’d fit into a system. As you show there was no plan for Palmer to fit into out system  yet the purchase was sanctioned. It was an expensive acquisition with no real thought into it and ultimately we’re paying the penalty as a club now.

I didn’t say all our fans 

He does make some decent points at times, but he is agenda based and I’ve never seen a fan so entitled.

• Thanks 1