IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I would still like to have seen how the season would have panned out if Benik hadn`t done his ACL. Something very good was beginning to show itself then.

Good luck KP.

You can’t base him “making it” here on a potential partnership with just one other bloke though, can you? It takes more than that and yes, it showed promise, but form/rotation/injuries will always dictate that can’t always be a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 2

So anyone totting up how much £ in players have walked out of the door or been moved on that were signed during Mark Ashton’s ego-driven spending spree without a sell-on value?

About £12m I make it, but working it out properly makes me depressed and sad.

”Value on the pitch”…..

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Alongside the utterly cringe lyrics, it was one of the things that irked me most about the Kasey Palmer song. Folks were belting it out when he hadn't done enough really to deserve having his own song.  Plenty of other players should've been ahead of him in the adulation stakes. 

Absolutely. Totally agree. He almost instantly gained a song which was popular amongst the singers, then he failed to live up to it (having a song, that is). He became a victim of his own hype. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

So anyone totting up how much £ in players have walked out of the door or been moved on that were signed during Mark Ashton’s ego-driven spending spree without a sell-on value?

About £12m I make it, but working it out properly makes me depressed and sad.

”Value on the pitch”…..

I forgot my Mark_Ashton.xls

Ive updated it:

image.thumb.png.c6054f7df064427fb9f70b2131abbbc7.png

£18.75m in fees on players who left for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Most important transfer of the summer. I really thought we would struggle to get him gone. 
i have no knowledge of the deal, but I would guess, minimal fee (enough to cover admin legal fees etc). With no transfer fee Coventry can give him a signing fee, and then lower wages over the 3 year period of the contract.

A player who was ‘King of the Academy’ but can’t/won’t step up to the full man’s game.

A good signing for the Cov fans at least, must be their highest profile purchase for quite a few years now.

A bit of a risky one for Robins I imagine. Even if we are paying something, Palmer is going to cost them a lot compared to what they have been used to spending. I guess they think he's the missing link to push them to the play offs but his history would suggest he is not actually of that calibre

Seemed to get on well with Afobe on and off the pitch, as someone said when Benik got injured there was a noticeable difference in Kasey. Not the only reason of course, the guy just needs to be settled, with a formation that works for him, wish him the best, there’s a good player there, but it’s a big lump off the wages & the right move for everyone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

Seemed to get on well with Afobe on and off the pitch, as someone said when Benik got injured there was a noticeable difference in Kasey. Not the only reason of course, the guy just needs to be settled, with a formation that works for him, wish him the best, there’s a good player there, but it’s a big lump off the wages & the right move for everyone. 

He probably should've signed for Millwall, mate 

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Alongside the utterly cringe lyrics, it was one of the things that irked me most about the Kasey Palmer song. Folks were belting it out when he hadn't done enough really to deserve having his own song.  Plenty of other players should've been ahead of him in the adulation stakes. 

It's because his name has four syllables so scans perfect with many popular songs. Try "Alex Scott" and it doesn't work. Bob Taylor had to be "Bob-bee" in song.

It's like "Liv-er-pool" or "Ev-er-ton" went seamlessly with "clap, clap, clap" in the 60s and 70s and then "Here we go" in the 80s but "Bristol" doesn't, hence we have no atmosphere. And why we had to stretch it to "Buh-riss-tawl."

Bristol and/or Bristol City is/are poor names/words for singing. Bed-mins-ter would've been better. People sang his name because it had four syllables and it scanned nicely. And it was about shagging. 

"Oh Ni-gel Pear-son ... " that might work too, thinking about it .......

• Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Work all summer with a 4231 built on:

Webster, Kalas

Pack, Brownhill 

Weimann, Szmodics or Paterson , Eliasson or Paterson

Diedhiou

Then toss it all up in the air in the week leading up to the season, and then after one game after a defeat v Leeds (and that’s wider than just Palmer). Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.

I was comfy to sign Palmer, just the way we did it was wrong.

100% Dave

Worst player we've signed? Not by a long way.

Worst signing from a timing/strategy/planning point of view? Definitely up there. 

• Like 2

On 07/06/2022 at 16:47, Arkateee said:

Touch wood that everything goes through well for Kasey palmer, and the medical doesn’t hold the move back. Too much of luxury player for me, although technically very talented, and unfortunately we’ve never managed to find a system that suits his talents, I wish him all the best for the future. 

Neither has any other club, it seems

Not sure about the song they are making up for him. 

Oh, Kasey Palmer's magic/ He wears a magic hat/ And if you try to tackle him/ He'll tackle the ****** back/ He dribbles to the left/ He dribbles to the right/ And when we get promoted we'll sing this song all night!

They might get a shock if they are expecting him to tackle...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not sure about the song they are making up for him. 

Oh, Kasey Palmer's magic/ He wears a magic hat/ And if you try to tackle him/ He'll tackle the ****** back/ He dribbles to the left/ He dribbles to the right/ And when we get promoted we'll sing this song all night!

They might get a shock if they are expecting him to tackle...

Why, Kasey was never shy of putting a tackle in.  He was very committed in the challenge. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not exactly like losing Gary Collier to them, is it?

Quite the opposite, in fact - a time for unbridled celebration.

Or Louis Carey..

On a par with signing Naismith as highlight of the summer so far.

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

100% Dave

Worst player we've signed? Not by a long way.

Worst signing from a timing/strategy/planning point of view? Definitely up there. 

Well we signed that lad we sold to Peterborough (name escapes me at the moment) because we couldn't get palmer then signed palmer anyway......there was no strategy or planning, ashton was playing fm in real life with the clubs money, and like after johnson left its taken this long to course correct,

Thankfully it doesn't appear as if relegation had to happen this time round,

Progress I guess

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why, Kasey was never shy of putting a tackle in.  He was very committed in the challenge. 

Doesn't fit the narrative Dave. If anything he had a tendency to be a bit reckless in the tackle but he certainly didn't lack commitment as you say.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Doesn't fit the narrative Dave. 

Are you telling me KP was well known for his tackling? That was the best feature of his game?

The narrative here, is that he was crap for us. We have debated whether he was lazy or not - done that one to death. Some say he had an attitude problem - i personally havent heard that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Are you telling me KP was well known for his tackling? That was the best feature of his game?

The narrative here, is that he was crap for us. We have debated whether he was lazy or not - done that one to death. Some say he had an attitude problem - i personally havent heard that.

If that was what I meant that is what I would have said so the answer is no. I was however agreeing with @Davefevs.

Nobody disputes that he was a bad signing but the narrative in some quarters is that he is either lazy or has a bad attitude or both. I didn't see evidence of either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1