IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If that was what I meant that is what I would have said so the answer is no. I was however agreeing with @Davefevs.

Nobody disputes that he was a bad signing but the narrative in some quarters is that he is either lazy or has a bad attitude or both. I didn't see evidence of either.

He had nether, he just wasn't very good, I dont think he's championship standard, he struggled to get into multiple teams at this level, that's the striking thing for me,

It's not just us

Just now, Monkeh said:

He had nether, he just wasn't very good, I dont think he's championship standard, he struggled to get into multiple teams at this level, that's the striking thing for me,

It's not just us

Yes, he hasn't fitted into a system at any club yet. Raw talent but struggles to meet the tactical demands of the game imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Well we signed that lad we sold to Peterborough (name escapes me at the moment) because we couldn't get palmer then signed palmer anyway......there was no strategy or planning, ashton was playing fm in real life with the clubs money, and like after johnson left its taken this long to course correct,

Thankfully it doesn't appear as if relegation had to happen this time round,

Progress I guess

Sammie Szmodics.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, he hasn't fitted into a system at any club yet. 

What system do you think he would work in, and why? 

The “raw” talent of KP is a myth i reckon. Loads of clubs, lots of opportunities and delivered very little. Now it’s the system that’s the problem - nah- he is just not very good and got lucky with his contract pay as he was ex Chelsea. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What system do you think he would work in, and why? 

The “raw” talent of KP is a myth i reckon. Loads of clubs, lots of opportunities and delivered very little. Now it’s the system that’s the problem - nah- he is just not very good and got lucky with his contract pay as he was ex Chelsea. 

You seem to have misunderstood me, my point was about his inability to fit into any system at any club he has been at so far.

So we are actually agreeing.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 19:21, Lanterne Rouge said:

I would still like to have seen how the season would have panned out if Benik hadn`t done his ACL. Something very good was beginning to show itself then.

Good luck KP.

Fantastic post LR - at that point we had Afobe up front with Palmer and Weimann behind him - we were on fire, we were ripping teams to shreds ... such a shame we didn’t get to see how that panned out - I really rated Palmer, he’s obviously a very skilful footballer, such a shame it didn’t work out for him here - someone will build a team around him and benefit hugely ...

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fantastic post LR - at that point we had Afobe up front with Palmer and Weimann behind him - we were on fire, we were ripping teams to shreds ... such a shame we didn’t get to see how that panned out - I really rated Palmer, he’s obviously a very skilful footballer, such a shame it didn’t work out for him here - someone will build a team around him and benefit hugely ...

I remember a 3-1 win away at Hull which was a good performance. What teams did we rip to shreds?

Good luck KP. Given game time in a system and with players that play to his strengths (possession based team with strikers who play on the shoulder) he may well do quite well. With quality movement he can pick a pass for sure. Don't know if that is Cov, but it can't be a less good fit than us. Even if he has a good first season I've got my doubts he'll be successful at this level long term. Glad he got the move and glad to have him off the wage bill here. As far as I know he never made a fuss at all when here though, even when out the squad. Best wishes from me

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One injury I was most disappointed with . For those couple of games we were absolutely stunning to watch 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

You seem to have misunderstood me, my point was about his inability to fit into any system at any club he has been at so far.

So we are actually agreeing.

This is precisely the problem.

He is player that has come into the game about 15 years too late for his ideal position.

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If he doesn't learn to pull his weight, he'll waste his talent and his career will be a non event. 

But he should now be, before he's reached 30, "set up" for life, and able to holiday in the Maldives every year should he wish. Assuming he has been sensible with his money.

Do we know if playing first team games is a burning desire for KP? 

On 22/06/2022 at 09:48, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's because his name has four syllables so scans perfect with many popular songs. Try "Alex Scott" and it doesn't work. Bob Taylor had to be "Bob-bee" in song.

It's like "Liv-er-pool" or "Ev-er-ton" went seamlessly with "clap, clap, clap" in the 60s and 70s and then "Here we go" in the 80s but "Bristol" doesn't, hence we have no atmosphere. And why we had to stretch it to "Buh-riss-tawl."

Bristol and/or Bristol City is/are poor names/words for singing. Bed-mins-ter would've been better. People sang his name because it had four syllables and it scanned nicely. And it was about shagging. 

"Oh Ni-gel Pear-son ... " that might work too, thinking about it .......

Why don't we just chant "Brrrrrriiiiistol" like the egg-chasers?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Why don't we just chant "Brrrrrriiiiistol" like the egg-chasers?

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Who stole our chant. 
:shutup:

This could still be heard in and around Dolman B when I was living in Bristol and a ST holder, so as recently as 18 years ago

• Like 1

On 22/06/2022 at 09:48, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's because his name has four syllables so scans perfect with many popular songs. Try "Alex Scott" and it doesn't work. Bob Taylor had to be "Bob-bee" in song.

It's like "Liv-er-pool" or "Ev-er-ton" went seamlessly with "clap, clap, clap" in the 60s and 70s and then "Here we go" in the 80s but "Bristol" doesn't, hence we have no atmosphere. And why we had to stretch it to "Buh-riss-tawl."

Bristol and/or Bristol City is/are poor names/words for singing. Bed-mins-ter would've been better. People sang his name because it had four syllables and it scanned nicely. And it was about shagging. 

"Oh Ni-gel Pear-son ... " that might work too, thinking about it .......

Bris - tol - ci - tee - that has four syllables - so you’d agree it ‘scans nicely’ ?! ??

IMHO Palmer's greatest weakness was his wages. His salary put him (understandably) under scrutiny whenever he touched the ball - or conversely whenever he didn't get selected. However, I don't blame him for that - I bet there aren't many of us on this forum who would turn down his salary.

Not the worst actual PLAYER on the pitch we've had at the Gate either - not by a long stretch, but one of the highest paid, so therefore that makes him one of the worst by way of value for money - again, his salary making him feel to many of us fans that he was worse than he actually was. 

I wish him well - he has some good skills and tricks - it will be interesting to see if Coventry manage to 'unlock' him (as long as it's not against us of course).

Lots of Bristol housewives will be disappointed he's gone!!!!

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

IMHO Palmer's greatest weakness was his wages. His salary put him (understandably) under scrutiny whenever he touched the ball - or conversely whenever he didn't get selected. However, I don't blame him for that - I bet there aren't many of us on this forum who would turn down his salary.

Not the worst actual PLAYER on the pitch we've had at the Gate either - not by a long stretch, but one of the highest paid, so therefore that makes him one of the worst by way of value for money - again, his salary making him feel to many of us fans that he was worse than he actually was. 

I wish him well - he has some good skills and tricks - it will be interesting to see if Coventry manage to 'unlock' him (as long as it's not against us of course).

Lots of Bristol housewives will be disappointed he's gone!!!!

Well put.