IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

48 minutes ago, samo II said:

Agreed. It was baffling and I think was seen as an opportunity to get him for what was seen as cheap at the time. DaSilva I think was similar, in that we got him to sell him; at least he’s looked half decent and contributed, but Palmer has unfortunately been an absolute failure.

Wish we’d left it at Smozdics and tried him instead. Never got a shot here.

The other difference between Dasilva & Palmer was this;

Dasilva had won the player of the season award at Charlton in his previous loan & whilst he wasn’t outstanding in his spell with us, you could see that as he was only 20, there was still plenty of time for him to improve. £2m was also a very reasonable fee at that time.

As has been mentioned before, even without taking into account that we already had Paterson (a better version of the same player) & Szmodics who we had just bought (& I agree, who never got a chance), Palmer did virtually nothing in his loan spell, to go with mediocre previous ones at Blackburn & Derby, so how we thought that justified spending £3.5m I have absolutely no idea.

An ego signing by Ashton & LJ, which we are still paying for.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Dasilva had won the player of the season award at Charlton in his previous loan & whilst he wasn’t outstanding in his spell with us, you could see that as he was only 20, there was still plenty of time for him to improve. £2m was also a very reasonable fee at that time.

As has been mentioned before, even without taking into account that we already had Paterson (a better version of the same player) & Szmodics who we had just bought (& I agree, who never got a chance), Palmer did virtually nothing in his loan spell, to go with mediocre previous ones at Blackburn & Derby, so how we thought that justified spending £3.5m I have absolutely no idea.

Ay?

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It's a shame because I think Szmodics would actually suit the system we now play. 

Lots of movement, he could have been a good alternative to Weimann/Semenyo with his pace. 

Or would have been a very good option to have from the bench, also feel the same about Matty Taylor, we spent however much on Wells, when Taylor could have played that role for much cheaper. 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, James54De said:

Ay?

Dasilva & Lloyd Kelly sort of job shared LB in Jay’s loan spell.

Jay started 21 & came on as sub in 7, had Lloyd stayed I am not convinced we’d have signed him.

Edited by GrahamC

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

You can reply if you want. Just surprised you can be bothered to say the same things to the same people over and over again. Nothing stopping you though 

But you can when you’re clearly wrong , opinion or not. You were the same in your previous incarnation. You can change your username but the same uneducated rubbish IMO

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Good luck to Coventry with him. There is undoubted talent there, however my gut feeling is he's another Liam Walsh on the horizon for them.

Just to be sure I'm not being stupid/confused, do you mean another Liam Walsh, as in a City shirt with the potential that never happened.

Or do you think he is Coventry's 'next' Liam Walsh... the City player that went there, and delivered after a no show for us, and player of the year award for him.

I originally thought you meant the former, but then doubted myself and wasn't sure if you meant he didn't do it here...but would do a Liam Walsh there ???‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Some can’t see what’s right in front of them ‘Steve’. 

No Red Dave . Your opinion is right & everyone else is wrong in your eyes . You were the same before, stirring the shit after matches with your dogtanian avatar  . Let me inform you of something . Wether you like it or not you are wrong & continue to be . 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No Red Dave . Your opinion is right & everyone else is wrong in your eyes . You were the same before, stirring the shit after matches with your dogtanian avatar  . Let me inform you of something . Wether you like it or not you are wrong & continue to be . 

I think my opinion is correct and you think your opinion is correct. That’s what opinions are.  It’s a football forum where many opinions are given.  Your opinion is that I am wrong.  It’s a weird response really as you start by saying ‘your opinion….’ and then do exactly the same yourself.  I’m not the only person who thinks Palmer is lazy so it’s not as if my opinion is a unique one.  Calm yourself down mate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lydered said:

Just to be sure I'm not being stupid/confused, do you mean another Liam Walsh, as in a City shirt with the potential that never happened.

Or do you think he is Coventry's 'next' Liam Walsh... the City player that went there, and delivered after a no show for us, and player of the year award for him.

I originally thought you meant the former, but then doubted myself and wasn't sure if you meant he didn't do it here...but would do a Liam Walsh there ???‍♂️

Good point well made ?

I meant the Liam Walsh that signed for Swansea on a 3 year contract, that played about 6 games before being farmed out to Hull.

Undoubted talent, but was forever injured.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ILikeCheeseOnToast said:

Vanity project for Johnson and Ashton. Didn’t work and now the club has continued to pay the price.

I wish him well and wish I had an agent like his as I think at forty and 15 stone, could make a better contribution on half the wage. (Anyone got Ashton’s number?) 

I think a fair few of us got Ashton’s number, quite early on.

29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think my opinion is correct and you think your opinion is correct. That’s what opinions are.  It’s a football forum where many opinions are given.  Your opinion is that I am wrong.  It’s a weird response really as you start by saying ‘your opinion….’ and then do exactly the same yourself.  I’m not the only person who thinks Palmer is lazy so it’s not as if my opinion is a unique one.  Calm yourself down mate. 

But why when expressing your opinion, actually state that someone else’s is wrong, that they can’t see what’s in front of them, try to shut the other person’s opinion down, etc.  That’s just arrogant and rude.

It makes no odds whether others think the same as you, it doesn’t make you right, nor does my alternate view, also shared by others right either.  We can both have opinions from opposite sides of the argument, without resorting to saying the other person dies t have a clue what they’re on about.  That is what expressing an opinion is.  I’m sure I cross that line at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But why when expressing your opinion, actually state that someone else’s is wrong, that they can’t see what’s in front of them, try to shut the other person’s opinion down, etc.  That’s just arrogant and rude.

It makes no odds whether others think the same as you, it doesn’t make you right, nor does my alternate view, also shared by others right either.  We can both have opinions from opposite sides of the argument, without resorting to saying the other person dies t have a clue what they’re on about.  That is what expressing an opinion is.  I’m sure I cross that line at times.

For what it's worth,

You're both wrong and I'm right......

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He dishes it out so I’m sure he can take it, despite evidence to the contrary. You do cross that line, as do most people at times. 

Edited by And Its Smith

11 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Good point well made ?

I meant the Liam Walsh that signed for Swansea on a 3 year contract, that played about 6 games before being farmed out to Hull.

Undoubted talent, but was forever injured.

My view is that he’s not quite good enough for this level.  I think he has some deficiencies in his game, mainly his lack of mobility / pace / physicality without the ball that makes him sub-par without the ball…and makes it difficult for him to get on the ball / receive passes where he can use his good technical skills. 

Youd have thought Swansea would’ve been ideal for him under Martin, with their heavy possession style, but it hasn’t worked out so far.  It might yet do.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Think you’ve done incredibly well to keep your head and not rise to the insults lad. It’s a forum for debate at the end of the day..

FWIW I agree with you so we can be wrong together ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

For what it's worth,

You're both wrong and I'm right......

You are Spartacus!

Just now, Bryans Left Peg said:

Think you’ve done incredibly well to keep your head and not rise to the insults lad. It’s a forum for debate at the end of the day..

I’ve not insulted anyone…I’ve not said “he’s wrong, I’m right” either.

1 minute ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Thanks.  Nice to meet another clueless idiot!!

If I was saying that Palmer is the worst player to ever play for us then I could understand the aggression in a way, although it would still be odd to display such an emotion on a forum. But I see so many people on different social medias and in ‘real life’ agreeing with Palmer being lazy that it clearly has some value. 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If I was saying that Palmer is the worst player to ever play for us then I could understand the aggression in a way, although it would still be odd to display such an emotion on a forum. But I see so many people on different social medias and in ‘real life’ agreeing with Palmer being lazy that it clearly has some value. 

He isnt lazy, he's far from it, he just isn't very good at the defensive side of the game,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The rules around attacking the post rather than the poster, seem to be falling by the wayside, I think the mods should be reviewing that. 

I don't think anyone has any real issue with people's opinions, no matter how much they disagree with them. It's when they are worded as fact, that people take exception to. Perhaps that's the issue here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that he’s not quite good enough for this level.  I think he has some deficiencies in his game, mainly his lack of mobility / pace / physicality without the ball that makes him sub-par without the ball…and makes it difficult for him to get on the ball / receive passes where he can use his good technical skills. 

Youd have thought Swansea would’ve been ideal for him under Martin, with their heavy possession style, but it hasn’t worked out so far.  It might yet do.

Swansea are looking to move him on but Cooper gave him a 3 year contract before jumping ship.

Despite some on here seeing Walsh as the son of God, his only decent spell in his career at Coventry was in League One.

He’s 24 now, didn’t breakthrough with us, struggled at Swansea & on loan at Hull.

He’s League One standard.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Swansea are looking to move him on but Cooper gave him a 3 year contract before jumping ship.

Despite some on here seeing Walsh as the son of God, his only decent spell in his career at Coventry was in League One.

He’s 24 now, didn’t breakthrough with us, struggled at Swansea & on loan at Hull.

He’s League One standard.

Did you mean David Icke?

20 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Stop making the thread hot by bickering! We're all grown ups here. 

Get back under your rock smelly ?

But yea can we get back on track with this one or find some song quotes to lighten the mood a little

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think (my opinion, before I get shouted at) that LJ was part of buying Palmer. He didn’t use him a lot on loan. I think after that comment “he needs a preseason to work with him” Ashton went out and bought him. Then LJ done similar again and not play him much.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Completely agree. Palmer was the ‘process’ overreaching due to prior success and showing the flaws in using it as a guiding principle regards player acquisition.

Problem was the flaws compounded while the successes didn’t (ie we had to keep paying a non-contributor who wasn’t increasing in value, while the transfer fees for those we sold were already absorbed), hence the pivot away from the model.

I look at the signings we’re making now and while possibly seen by some as underwhelming, they represent to me a more pragmatic approach to team building; get in vets with a bit of experience at this level, and match them with some some promising players looking to step up from leagues one/two and the youth players.

For me, that’s the best way of developing a team at this level when you are not in a position to simply spend your way out of it like a recently relegated or bought out side.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I don’t think (my opinion, before I get shouted at) that LJ was part of buying Palmer. He didn’t use him a lot on loan. I think after that comment “he needs a preseason to work with him” Ashton went out and bought him. Then LJ done similar again and not play him much.

I remember thinking at the time that comment "I need a preseason to work with him" was a bit bizarre.

This was a player that LJ had already had at the club for 5-6 months. Surely KP would have had opportunities during that time to either get up to the required fitness levels, or develop alongside the rest of the squad.

For me, it was more "I'm looking forward to having a preseason to figure out how I'm going to use him". More representative of him being not particularly 100% behind the signing in the first place.