IGNORED

Palmer signs for Coventry

redpole

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

There’s a pretty clear agenda that he’s a lazy player on and off the pitch with many saying he has a bad attitude. It’s based on nothing.

Same thing was said about Nahki Wells from the minute he arrived, bad attitude, didn't want to be here etc. Yet all the indications from the people who know and matter are very much the opposite of those views.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Taz said:

I'm not seeing the comments about his bad attitude (I could of course be missing them), but understand the lazy comments. His approach to the game at times, and I'm talking about when he is on the pitch, can APPEAR to be lazy, but think that's in a similar way that JET could appear lazy at times. Difference being JET was so unpredictable and could pull something out of nothing, that a lot of people ignored the lazy bits. Palmer isn't that sort of player, so can't get away with it as much.

As for the bad attitude, as I said I may have missed the comments, but what I do see is a lot of comments based on hearsay, and because it's been said a few times, regardless of whether there is any substance to it, then it becomes the truth. It's a bit like people saying Pearson doesn't like or do loans - I have never seen/heard him say that. What I have seen/heard is that he doesn't like loans unless it means that the players coming in are significantly better than the ones you currently have, and that they don't come in and upset the squad. Again, if you say something enough times, it becomes the "truth".

As I said in both cases (KP's "bad attitude" and NP’s dislikes to loans), I'll openly hold my hands up and say I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything other than the postman's cat mentioning about bad attitudes.

@KegCity, sorry this "rant" isn't aimed directly at you and I apologise if it seems like it is, but there does seem to be a lot of "facts" being thrown about recently, that are actually just opinions, or opinions based on others assumptions.

Pearson himself has said that Palmers attitude isn't in question, just that he doesn't seem to be his type of player. When Bakinson left (on loan - that will be interesting if he makes it back from Ipswich) Nige made it abundantly clear that his attitude stank. He'd have no problem saying that about Palmer if that were the case.

Just go back through the thread. Literally anything he does is moaned about. People bollocking him for not flying across the world to complete a medical, saying that shows his attitude.

His move to City has obviously not worked out but some of the talk around him is getting a bit ridiculous now. 

• Like 8

Palmer attitude might not be bad as suggested.  Just not got the ability to adapt his game to what’s required.  The question I’ve always asked myself, is he good enough for todays game. He has worked hard in games, he’s also gone missing or not changed our fortunes when coming as a sub.  For me he’s has ability, just not a consistent enough for the system we’ve been playing.  Nor is he a natural athlete, which is what’s required to make it at the top level IMO.

12 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Forget the flying back but Palmer in the Maldives when Wilson in Portugal… can tell what they both earn, or more what Wilson was earning before, 2 very different players and 2 different mentalities 

Even if Wilson was on £2k a week at FGR, that's still £104k a year. That's enough to holiday in the Maldives.

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

Even if Wilson was on £2k a week at FGR, that's still £104k a year. That's enough to holiday in the Maldives.

Bold statement.

He said in his interview that he lived in Tetbury (which certainly won’t be cheap) & that he & his partner have a child, so I guess someone who is 22 & has basically played L2 football on commensurate wages so far might not be exactly rolling in it.

I know these figures have come from a website but doubt FGR on gates of barely 2500 even pay him that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KegCity said:

There’s a pretty clear agenda that he’s a lazy player on and off the pitch with many saying he has a bad attitude. It’s based on nothing.

I really think the post below proves your point:

12 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Forget the flying back but Palmer in the Maldives when Wilson in Portugal… can tell what they both earn, or more what Wilson was earning before, 2 very different players and 2 different mentalities 

I reckon we all know people who are by no means wealthy but choose to have a nice holiday every once in a while (especially after a couple of years of a pandemic). Footballers obviously earn more than the rest of us and the Maldives might be a bit nicer than some of us can afford but I find it genuinely ridiculous to suggest the fact Palmer went on a family holiday to a nice location as somehow proof of his mentality or some flaw in his character. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bold statement.

He said in his interview that he lived in Tetbury (which certainly won’t be cheap) & that he & his partner have a child, so I guess someone who is 22 & has basically played L2 football on commensurate wages so far might not be exactly rolling in it.

I know these figures have come from a website but doubt FGR on gates of barely 2500 even pay him that much.

Oh I was merely guessing salary to be honest. I imagine he'd of had a nice promotion bonus though. 

Not sure if he rents in Tetbury?

Anyway footballers are not your average joe when it comes to salary, I bet he's absolutely on more than £500 a week.

10 hours ago, Taz said:

I'm not seeing the comments about his bad attitude (I could of course be missing them), but understand the lazy comments. His approach to the game at times, and I'm talking about when he is on the pitch, can APPEAR to be lazy, but think that's in a similar way that JET could appear lazy at times. Difference being JET was so unpredictable and could pull something out of nothing, that a lot of people ignored the lazy bits. Palmer isn't that sort of player, so can't get away with it as much.

I think the connection between Palmer and JET is that both are confidence players. When they don't understand their role, or the way the team is set up isn't getting the best out of them, their heads drop, they become withdrawn and they drift out of the game. I can easily see how it "looks" like laziness but I agree with you that that isn't how I'd see it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bold statement.

£100Kpa seems about right for League 2. Doesn’t make you a millionaire, but does put a 22 year old about on a par with a typical GP. Still well off in a non football context.

I’ve never seen much evidence of Palmer being lazy.  I just suspect he’s not Pearson’s type of player, like Bakinson, because he doesn’t do enough off the ball.  We all know players like that - we had one who became a legend but drove managers mad because he wouldn’t track back (clue: he was Polish…).  I’ve always thought that Palmer would suit the Premier League better than the Championship.

I’ve got no problems with the man having a holiday!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

£100Kpa seems about right for League 2. Doesn’t make you a millionaire, but does put a 22 year old about on a par with a typical GP. Still well off in a non football context.

Not disputing that at all, though there are definitely L2 clubs who pay far less than this, Sutton United for instance are rumoured to pay £1000 tops.

However the comment was about being able to afford a holiday in The Maldives, he could well have a huge mortgage (plus even renting in Tetbury will be high, as it’s not exactly Stoke, is it?) & anyone who has kids knows that costs a fortune, so his financial priorities could be elsewhere.

None of this means we should be having a whip round for him, but it is easy to make assumptions here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

And just to add, he will only have been on that wage for 2 seasons, like 30 years like an experienced GP.

On 07/06/2022 at 08:12, Fordy62 said:

I want rid of Palmer as much as the next person, however I would say that the reaction on here is more akin to say Nicky Hunt leaving. 

Palmer hasn’t exactly been shit and the reality is that none of us really know what’s gone on behind the scenes - but Nige doesn’t fancy him. 

There’s a real feeling of a player we hate vibe going on and I don’t think that should be the case, he hasn’t really done anything wrong and you could argue he hasn’t had much of a chance potentially. 

Like I said, it’d be nice for Coventry to share his wages, but there’ll be no hate from me. 

I dont see hate. But he is on high wages and we all want us to improve the squad, so we need him gone.

He's done nothing wrong - he just isnt good enough - the game is too quick for him at this level.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I very much doubt it is enough to holiday in the Maldives every year, after tax, with a young family especially if he has a large mortgage as most young homeowners do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Palmer attitude might not be bad as suggested.  Just not got the ability to adapt his game to what’s required.  The question I’ve always asked myself, is he good enough for todays game. He has worked hard in games, he’s also gone missing or not changed our fortunes when coming as a sub.  For me he’s has ability, just not a consistent enough for the system we’ve been playing.  Nor is he a natural athlete, which is what’s required to make it at the top level IMO.

The game is just too quick for him.

He can defo pick a pass - good passing skills - but wants too much time on the ball.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I very much doubt it is enough to holiday in the Maldives every year, after tax, with a young family especially if he has a large mortgage as most young homeowners do

To be fair I didn’t know he has a young family and a large mortgage. 
I presumed, as he’s 22, he had no kids, and was renting a flat somewhere, and therefore on £100k a year should afford a nice holiday or two as well!

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He can defo pick a pass - good passing skills - but wants too much time on the ball.

If he played in his preferred position with players he knows well then I am sure his distribution speed would increase dramatically along with its effectiveness.

I am sure Mark Robins thinks the same. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I can see this. Perhaps where being at a big academy can be a disadvantage? He has all the best of his age group around him. Probably allowed for time on the ball and he does have the ability to pick out runners.

In the championship however playing for a side that generally does not have much possession, he struggled mightily. Add to that it meant more time defending and why I think he tried, he just did not have the IQ for it imo. So getting tackled more and having to defend more while not really knowing where to be or how to close down. Don’t underestimate how that can knock confidence in yourself.

For me, KP is an example of how easily a football career can get knocked off course. Think on natural ability should be a high end championship player at least. The move wasn’t the right one(for either party)and now he needs to get back on track. Think Coventry could be a good gamble for both sides but he’ll have learn the defensive side more imo. Though they should be able to get more out of him on the ball than we did. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If he played in his preferred position with players he knows well then I am sure his distribution speed would increase dramatically along with its effectiveness.

I am sure Mark Robins thinks the same. 

I just dont see it. He's similar to JET - they are relaxed characters who play in that way - JET also got accused of being lazy.

I'm convinced you'll never get any consistency out of KP - just flashes of brilliance.

Time will tell i guess.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really think the post below proves your point:

I reckon we all know people who are by no means wealthy but choose to have a nice holiday every once in a while (especially after a couple of years of a pandemic). Footballers obviously earn more than the rest of us and the Maldives might be a bit nicer than some of us can afford but I find it genuinely ridiculous to suggest the fact Palmer went on a family holiday to a nice location as somehow proof of his mentality or some flaw in his character. 

In fairness , and I don’t criticise , or blame him , but KP is Mr Holiday (Always with his family who he clearly adores)

One year he flew from one holiday , to another , to another , all first / business class

As I said , very much a family man and good luck to him , why not enjoy your wealth

But ,

I do wonder whether he was enjoying the benefits of being a very wealthy footballer , and early in life , without having to push himself , consciously or subconsciously , especially with an obvious focus (admirable) on his family.

The wages that Chelsea paid many of their young players may have taken the edge off a few

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness , and I don’t criticise , or blame him , but KP is Mr Holiday (Always with his family who he clearly adores)

One year he flew from one holiday , to another , to another , all first / business class

As I said , very much a family man and good luck to him , why not enjoy your wealth

But ,

I do wonder whether he was enjoying the benefits of being a very wealthy footballer , and early in life , without having to push himself , consciously or subconsciously , especially with an obvious focus (admirable) on his family.

The wages that Chelsea paid many of their young players may have taken the edge off a few

It’s a fair point on the earnings of young players at PL clubs. IIRC correctly Tammy was on £25k per week at Chelsea when he joined us on loan. I also recall reading that the summer his loan ended he signed a new contract on £50k per week - my understanding is that this level is not untypical.

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

It’s a fair point on the earnings of young players at PL clubs. IIRC correctly Tammy was on £25k per week at Chelsea when he joined us on loan. I also recall reading that the summer his loan ended he signed a new contract on £50k per week - my understanding is that this level is not untypical.

Wealth tests desire doesn’t it SR

Some will still have that strong desire to push and push , with financial comfort / wealth irrelevant and there are dozens and dozens of examples at the top of the game 

We can all look at ourselves , and think , if we had a rapid or sudden increase in wealth (Say significant inheritance , lottery scoop etc) would we all be just as focused or driven with regards to our work or to earn money - I have tbh , I’m not sure I would

Obviously age and the amount of wealth is relevant , but if you consider Palmer will have picked up somewhere around £6m in wages , just in last 6 years......without, yet , achieving very much in the game (Accepting we are talking top two tier in English Professional Football)

Edited by Sheltons Army

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the connection between Palmer and JET is that both are confidence players. When they don't understand their role, or the way the team is set up isn't getting the best out of them, their heads drop, they become withdrawn and they drift out of the game. I can easily see how it "looks" like laziness but I agree with you that that isn't how I'd see it. 

So, things get difficult and KP's head drops, you think? Things get tough and he drifts away from the action?

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read on the Coventry local paper that if and when he signs he'll be at the top of their box midfield, as it was described.

Sounds quite an unusual shape that but if there is a base behind him and he has a freeish role...won't be our problem soon but interesting to see how well that suits him or otherwise.

They have played a mix of 5212 (3412) and 5221 (3421) most of last season, so either one no10 behind two strikers or two no10s behind one striker….if that makes sense.

They might also be covering their backsides if O’Hare gets poached or Hamer, although Hamer provides creativity from a much deeper position (more Pirlo-esque).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They have played a mix of 5212 (3412) and 5221 (3421) most of last season, so either one no10 behind two strikers or two no10s behind one striker….if that makes sense.

They might also be covering their backsides if O’Hare gets poached or Hamer, although Hamer provides creativity from a much deeper position (more Pirlo-esque).

I like Mark Robins and would have loved to see what if he could have done here. If there's a tune to be got out of KP then I think MR will find it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I like Mark Robins and would have loved to see what if he could have done here. If there's a tune to be got out of KP then I think MR will find it.

I said that about Steve Cooper!

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1