IGNORED

Disgusting fuel prices….

Slippin cider

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They should temporarily scrap VAT on fuel until the issue is resolved. 

That said, from a climate emergency perspective, it's not a bad thing that people are thinking harder about making unnecessary trips, using public transport and driving slower to reduce fuel consumption. 

I agree completely, we just need a decent transport system to have that alternative.

• Like 1

The thing is with Petrol stations that they have been losing money hand over fist for the last 5 years prior to all of this nonsense, due to people moving over to electric cars.

This is probably their last chance to really spank the arse financially out of people who still have petrol/diesel cars, with the no new non-electric cars coming in 2030.

Oil prices dropped by 25% in March/April but of course the saving was not passed on, blaming the war in Ukraine; when only 6% of our petrol comes from Russia. Even if VAT was temporarily paused, or even stopped I'm not sure it will have any real effect on prices. 

It's funny now travelling on the motorway, the amount of cars in lane 1, travelling at around 60 mph for maximum fuel consumption. The only cars racing in lane 3 are most like company cars, or ones on fuel cards.

5 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The only cars racing in lane 3 are most like company cars, or ones on fuel cards.

It makes no economic sense to have a company car/fuel card, in the traditional sense, if you drive a petrol or diesel. Tax is huge on anything that doersnt have a lawnmower engine. Car allowance / pence per mile is better, although at the moment the ppm allowance doesnt touch the sides. 

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

It makes no economic sense to have a company car/fuel card, in the traditional sense, if you drive a petrol or diesel. Tax is huge on anything that doersnt have a lawnmower engine. Car allowance / pence per mile is better, although at the moment the ppm allowance doesnt touch the sides. 

Completely agree.

My point was, those are the drivers that aren't paying for the fuel themselves; their companies are generally.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’ve been to France, Belgium and Holland twice in the last two weeks, fuel is no cheaper over there, so it’s not some UK only rip off.  

Good to know, I think it’s pretty much world wide . Even the US where it was about 40p a gallon has seen a massive increase….those gas guzzling V8s are going to become ornaments….:yawn:

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’ve been to France, Belgium and Holland twice in the last two weeks, fuel is no cheaper over there, so it’s not some UK only rip off.  

Just got back from all three on Friday. Had to fill up at £2.25/L. That hurt. 

31 minutes ago, TomF said:

Am grateful for Costco membership. It’s not much less painful but a good 6-7p cheaper than even the supermarkets most of the time 

Yeah, it's become my go-to spot to fill up, though you usually have to queue depending on when you go.

I paid 175 for diesel there today, I think petrol was 165ish.

6 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The thing is with Petrol stations that they have been losing money hand over fist for the last 5 years prior to all of this nonsense, due to people moving over to electric cars.

Only 2% of cars on UK roads are electric or hybrid. Retailers lose money because oil companies have been stiffing them as much as they've been stiffing the public. The profit margins are minute, the cash required upfront to fill the storage tanks is ever more astronomical, supply issues mean you may be dry for days through no fault of your own and you only need a few drive-offs to wipe out a week's profit. 

Of course, the money isn't made from petrol retailing, but from the shops and increasingly the franchise opportunities within that space. That's why you get forecourt empires like this: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/billionaire-issa-brothers-considering-multi-22780410

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So supermarkets adding 5p to their prices, the govt plan of taking the 5p off tax has really helped the customers there

They need to stop ******* about. Reduce VAT to 5% immediately to help people out. Fuel prices are driving inflation, so in the end its better for the govt to act now and reduce VAT to help control inflation. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’ve never really taken much notice of how much per gallon (remember?!) or litre it costs but fukk me I had to pay £75 to “fill her up” (no laughin at the back) at Sainsbury’s Winterstoke Rd last week. And I only drive a Honda Melody. 

£95 to fill my Kuga with diesel week before last - was down to the last 80 miles on the display.

Yes I did start swearing at (as in directed towards) the pump. Thing is as I was doing that some bloke in a van did similar at the next pump over.

Absolute joke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Just went and filled both my vans up from about 1/4 full, £190……. ?

Feel for you. Was in a petrol station a few weeks ago (getting change for the jetwash) and there was a bloke ahead of me that was paying for 2 removal vans that were filling up. Pretty sure I heard the cashier ask for about £420....

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

£95 to fill my Kuga with diesel week before last - was down to the last 80 miles on the display.

Yes I did start swearing at (as in directed towards) the pump. Thing is as I was doing that some bloke in a van did similar at the next pump over.

Absolute joke.

Agreed. Jokeshop. But the more the fuel costs the more everything else costs. To put it mildly we’re all fukked. 

• Like 2