IGNORED

Disgusting fuel prices….

Slippin cider

Petrol prices continue to sky rocket,  many can't afford to travel apart from commuting to work and even that's a struggle. So people stay local.

Electric cars expensive and system not in place to be reliable...and eventually won't be cost effective.

Public transport is getting more expensive, is a complete ball ache, unreliable, often don't go to places you need to go at times needed. Broken system. Many choose not to use it.

Roads are rammed. Go anywhere and you are often sat in traffic. Waste of time. So you are less likely to travel.

Roadworks everywhere. Often put in place, congesting travel, and no work actually happening. Or at a slow pace.

Parking anywhere these days is nigh on impossible without having to plan it.

Try to fly abroad...cancellations galore, waiting for hours through customs, frustration, anger, people losing money to it, so may as well give up and stay home. Reports saying this could continue for another 18 months.

Food prices going up. People choosing to miss meals to pay for ever increasing energy prices.

NHS rammed. Hours waiting at A&E etc, etc.

Pub prices going through roof. Less people going. 

Places closing as they can't get staff to cook, serve etc.

It's all going in one direction...

Where you stay home or local. Small businesses suffer and eventually close. You end up using internet shopping more. You use the big corporations...little man can't compete.

Etc etc etc...

Stay home, eat dust, work to survive, not live....this is the new mantra. ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

At some point this will all bang off big style. 

Hopefully in election year. When people have had to put up with high costs for >12 months, and they come to remortgage and it costs +200 quid a month. Im afraid House repossessions will inevitably rise.  

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

At some point this will all bang off big style. 

I'm not so sure. Look at it this way... everything that is happening right now is making travelling harder and less disireable. 

It's forcing people to travel less farther afield. 

More people are working from home. More people are going out less.

Local small businesses are suffering.

The only people that are well are those that have wealth and power. The huge companies and people who have shares in them are doing ok too.

They have spoken about change...and how we need to change our way of living. For the future. 

Why would they want what's happening to stop?

Everything is in their favour.

The average man on the street will suffer, whilst this change becomes the new normal.

Those with wealth and power...it won't really affect.

They want us to travel less, stay local, buy online and use the big conglomerates. 

It's all heading that way.

The Government actually implied this. That we can use the past few years to create change and a new normal.

Everything that's happening is pushing it that way.

9 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Higher tax revenue helps us to replace all the weapons that we are currently giving away. ?

That is a minuscule part of the government budget, although one that must break your heart as it's stopping Putin takeover a country that do not want him.

The £1.3bn in military aid has been given. By comparison, the government was scammed out of £11.8bn in business support loans during Covid - because it was too stupid and lazy to write watertight rules and proper oversight into the process - and this money has just been written off. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That is a minuscule part of the government budget, although one that must break your heart as it's stopping Putin takeover a country that do not want him.

The £1.3bn in military aid has been given. By comparison, the government was scammed out of £11.8bn in business support loans during Covid - because it was too stupid and lazy to write watertight rules and proper oversight into the process - and this money has just been written off. 

Point I am making is the first to support weapons being sent and things like sanctions on oil (and label anyone who questions them as a putin supporter) are also the first to complain when they have to pay for increased fuel if this thread is anything to go by.

I believe the 11.8bn that you only choose to mention was pretty miniscule compared to the £400bn+ that was borrowed in total for covid, if you continuously ask for more money printing then don't be surprised when you get squeezed down the road.

Edited by Baba Yaga

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

I can remember when fuel hit a certain price back in the 90s that there was blockades at fuel stations, why isn’t that happening this time? 

2000 - fuel hit 80p a litre and there were blockades etc.

Unfortunately the Tories have removed the right to protest, and if they hadn't, those complaining would have to be second line protesters behind Extinction Rebellion.

1 minute ago, Baba Yaga said:

Point I am making is the first to support weapons being sent and things like sanctions on oil (and label anyone who questions them as a putin supporter) are also the first to complain when they have to pay for increased fuel if this thread is anything to go by.

I believe the 11.8bn that you only choose to mention was pretty miniscule compared to the £400bn+ that was borrowed in total for covid, if you continuously ask for more money printing then don't be surprised when you get squeezed down the road.

As I have pointed out, crude oil was more expensive in 2008. The reason for record pump prices is NOT primarily the Ukrainian invasion.

I don't think anyone is surprised that the cost of defeating Covid (with a mere 175,000 excess deaths) is an economic squeeze.  However, having a government that allows profiteering contributes considerably towards this squeeze. I refer you to the G20 predicted growth graph  I posted in the politics section. 

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I have pointed out, crude oil was more expensive in 2008. The reason for record pump prices is NOT primarily the Ukrainian invasion.

I don't think anyone is surprised that the cost of defeating Covid (with a mere 175,000 excess deaths) is an economic squeeze.  However, having a government that allows profiteering contributes considerably towards this squeeze. I refer you to the G20 predicted growth graph  I posted in the politics section. 

I agree there are other big reasons like OPEC countries currently limiting supply but this is still partly a consequence of military action/sanctions which are supported wholeheartedly by those having a whinge here, and the government really should keep revenues high because of all the previous borrowing they have done. I don't like paying these prices either but would still argue that the UK's current financial situation is a greater factor to this than any profiteering, the cost of living crisis is clearly going to get worse and I think people moaning about expensive diesel today are going to look very soft as this situation escalates.

I have just looked at the graph and have read the headlines the other day, however the missing information I think is that we locked down less than a lot of the other countries and that was one of the reasons that we had a better growth in 2021 than most in the G20 and this correction was due as other countries opened up later. I think it's quite misleading just giving out that data by itself although I am happy to be corrected if we are performing much worse overall over a longer time frame.

15 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I agree there are other big reasons like OPEC countries currently limiting supply but this is still partly a consequence of military action/sanctions which are supported wholeheartedly by those having a whinge here, and the government really should keep revenues high because of all the previous borrowing they have done. I don't like paying these prices either but would still argue that the UK's current financial situation is a greater factor to this than any profiteering, the cost of living crisis is clearly going to get worse and I think people moaning about expensive diesel today are going to look very soft as this situation escalates.

I have just looked at the graph and have read the headlines the other day, however the missing information I think is that we locked down less than a lot of the other countries and that was one of the reasons that we had a better growth in 2021 than most in the G20 and this correction was due as other countries opened up later. I think it's quite misleading just giving out that data by itself although I am happy to be corrected if we are performing much worse overall over a longer time frame.

I take it you've never studied economics?  Having better-than-average growth in 2021 would not of consequence lead to us have much worse-than-average growth in 2023 - and of course the better-than-average year came after our economy fell more than average in 2020. If you fall in a 20ft hole and climb 6 feet up the wall, you're still in a worse position that someone who falls in a 10ft hole and climbs 5 feet. 

PS: We have more expensive prices at the pump than Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and various other countries more dependent on Russian fuel supplies.  

Edited by Red-Robbo

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I take it you've never studied economics?  Having better-than-average growth in 2021 would not of consequence lead to us have much worse-than-average growth in 2023 - and of course the better-than-average year came after our economy fell more than average in 2020. If you fall in a 20ft hole and climb 6 feet up the wall, you're still in a worse position that someone who falls in a 10ft hole and climbs 5 feet. 

As many european economies only gradually reopened throughout the early months in 2022 where as the UK was open much quicker it stands to reason that their growth figures would be better than the UK's in 2023 because of that. The time frame chosen is obviously going to make the UK look worse, if you can back up your point over a different time frame then I would give it more value.

According to RAC these were the fuel prices a couple of weeks ago and UK is not the worst so you are again being selective with the data you are revealing/not revealing...  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/advice/european-fuel-prices-petrol-and-diesel-prices-in-europe/

Edited by Baba Yaga

12 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

As many european economies only gradually reopened throughout the early months in 2022 where as the UK was open much quicker it stands to reason that their growth figures would be better than the UK's in 2023 because of that. The time frame chosen is obviously going to make the UK look worse, if you can back up your point over a different time frame then I would give it more value. 

Not actually true that. The degree of lockdown varied and while some things were tighter in some countries, others were looser.  At any rate, our economy shrank more than many others. 

If your theory is that the UK opened faster so we got a growth spurt this year, that still doesn't explain why it's forecast to fall to zero growth next year. In a race, if you get a head start, that advantage normally carries on. We are talking about growth in a calendar year where all economies are likely to be open and all will be effected by the after-effects of 2020/21 and the Ukraine crisis. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

2000 - fuel hit 80p a litre and there were blockades etc.

Unfortunately the Tories have removed the right to protest, and if they hadn't, those complaining would have to be second line protesters behind Extinction Rebellion.

It appears to be keeping Extinction rebellion off the roads.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rob k said:

I can remember when fuel hit a certain price back in the 90s that there was blockades at fuel stations, why isn’t that happening this time? 

Because people can't afford to get anywhere to blockade anything!!

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not actually true that. The degree of lockdown varied and while some things were tighter in some countries, others were looser.  At any rate, our economy shrank more than many others. 

If your theory is that the UK opened faster so we got a growth spurt this year, that still doesn't explain why it's forecast to fall to zero growth next year. In a race, if you get a head start, that advantage normally carries on. We are talking about growth in a calendar year where all economies are likely to be open and all will be effected by the after-effects of 2020/21 and the Ukraine crisis. 

In this case clearly the advantage isn't going to carry on in the growth numbers as other countries go back to being closer to 100% open they are going to have their spurts too. These are the figures I have found for 2019-21, clearly our 2021 numbers were misleadingly positive because we opened back up quicker, the European countries France, Germany and Italy are still doing worse than us over the course of 2022 apparently and then in 2023 things will reverse as they reopened a lot more in the first half of 2022.

If you can prove over a long period that the european economies are outperforming ours I would be happy to see the info but posting 2023 growth numbers by itself is not very useful analysis.

IEO-GDP-EN_0.jpg

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2022/Apr-2022/Chart-of-the-week-G7-economic-growth

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

In this case clearly the advantage isn't going to carry on in the growth numbers as other countries go back to being closer to 100% open they are going to have their spurts too. These are the figures I have found for 2019-21, clearly our 2021 numbers were misleadingly positive because we opened back up quicker, the European countries France, Germany and Italy are still doing worse than us over the course of 2022 apparently and then in 2023 things will reverse as they reopened a lot more in the first half of 2022.

If you can prove over a long period that the european economies are outperforming ours I would be happy to see the info but posting 2023 growth numbers by itself is not very useful analysis.

IEO-GDP-EN_0.jpg

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2022/Apr-2022/Chart-of-the-week-G7-economic-growth

Cheers for posting a graph showing what I said - that the UK did much worse than average in the "hot" year of Covid - 2020.  I refer you to my "falling in a hole" analogy. By Jan 2023, everyone who has had a post-Covid "spurt" will have had one. We're in an international economy where "but Covid..." will not excuse your crap performance.

So, what is your excuse for the OECD forecast of zero growth in 2023 for the UK? Please actually use economic science rather than "but I fink" in your answer....

On 09/06/2022 at 14:37, Baba Yaga said:

I’m more than happy to pay a bit extra if it helps vapourise Putins Puppets