IGNORED

Return of the Junior Reds?

Silvio Dante

I might be reading too much into this, but was browsing the site for the new kits today and noticed the categorisation is “Mens-Womens-Junior Reds”.

IIRC, we’ve always categorised as “Youth” previously.

Is the club about to get their butts in gear and relaunch the junior supporters clubs and this is getting the branding lined up…?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I noticed that too. 

I have genuinely been thinking about this over the last few weeks with a view to seeing if I can come up with some sort of proposal to the club for this.  My thoughts though were to have it branded as the Banks Junior Reds, or something of that ilk.  John and Claire made a real impact on many young fans, myself included, with the original Junior Reds and for me needs to be remembered by the club in some way if they do indeed relaunch it, especially with John's passing.  If not in the name of the supporters group then certainly in the name of whatever space may be provided for them to meet in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Very fond memories of my junior reds days & away trips. 

It was brilliant to get a coach, reciprocal match tickets with other groups and play our own match before going to the games - all for about a tenner! 

Will always remember being on the pitch at Newcastle, for KK's first game as manager there. 

John, Claire & others involved did a great job & I think that similar would be brilliant for the upcoming generation of supporters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I noticed that too. 

I have genuinely been thinking about this over the last few weeks with a view to seeing if I can come up with some sort of proposal to the club for this.  My thoughts though were to have it branded as the Banks Junior Reds, or something of that ilk.  John and Claire made a real impact on many young fans, myself included, with the original Junior Reds and for me needs to be remembered by the club in some way if they do indeed relaunch it, especially with John's passing.  If not in the name of the supporters group then certainly in the name of whatever space may be provided for them to meet in.

You know if they do that Liams going to say it’s named after him….!

Although I would clearly love that, it’s equally as important to note it wasn’t a two person show. The wall in the concourse has the names of all the committee and not just mum and dad and that’s how it should be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Used to love the Junior Reds when I was a bairn, pretty sure we had an area in Block G of the Dolman? Someone called Ruth (?) running it? 

It was Block G - Ruth Thomas was the first person who ran it. IIRC she was an employee of the club and given it to run with (fun fact - first away trip was Notts County). I think the committee formed and took it over after she left the club. This was 40 years ago though so my memory may not be reliable!

• Robin 2

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It was Block G - Ruth Thomas was the first person who ran it. IIRC she was an employee of the club and given it to run with (fun fact - first away trip was Notts County). I think the committee formed and took it over after she left the club. This was 40 years ago though so my memory may not be reliable!

Ace. I never did any of the away trips but have very fond memories of sitting up in Block G. Well done to Ruth and those who followed her. 

• Robin 1

26 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

And the American style cheer leaders waving their pom poms.

You dirty old man!

Actually it would be good to revert to some of the traditional match day events. Especially like playing music that we can all sing to whether in the stands or the concourse.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Haha 1

I didn’t know that that the Junior Reds were no longer , when did the club disband it .

It’s seems such and odd decision not to have a supporter club for children, surly the club want to nurture the next generation of fans.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

What's the name for a young robin, obvious name for the junior reds isn't it?

13 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

There is no specific term given for baby robins and instead follow the typical naming conventions of other baby birds: Chick or Hatchling. Fledgling.

Hmmm.

Unfortunately, naming a young junior reds team Bristol Chicks might prove problematic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

There is no specific term given for baby robins and instead follow the typical naming conventions of other baby birds: Chick or Hatchling. Fledgling.

They're all a bit rubbish aren't they. Maybe a group of Robins as that is a "round" apparently. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bs3 said:

I didn’t know that that the Junior Reds were no longer , when did the club disband it .

It’s seems such and odd decision not to have a supporter club for children, surly the club want to nurture the next generation of fans.

Yep, the Junior Reds seemed to be thriving pre match under the Dolman when my son was a member, 

All sorts going on - very popular 5-a-side football pitch, computer games, even several ladies there providing a creche so the parents could watch the match.

We even got a phone call one time asking if he wanted to be a ball boy at the next game, which of course he was more than pleased to do.

Lists of Junior Reds' birthdays in the programme every week too, all helped young fans feel part of the club.

Really backward step if it no longer exists.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

It would be amazing to see the Junior Reds come back, one word of caution, the safeguarding involved now (quite rightly of course) would mean that many of the activities enjoyed by the Junior Reds in the past would be very difficult/very expensive/impossible to run now. Every volunteer would need to be DBS checked and activities where they are around other adults e.g. playing football in a local park could be tricky. Could still be done, but not as easily and cheaply as the 1980s.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2022 at 09:36, Silvio Dante said:

I might be reading too much into this, but was browsing the site for the new kits today and noticed the categorisation is “Mens-Womens-Junior Reds”.

IIRC, we’ve always categorised as “Youth” previously.

Is the club about to get their butts in gear and relaunch the junior supporters clubs and this is getting the branding lined up…?

Listen to most recent @3 Peaps In A PodCast as comment about how Richard is looking at getting more fans in the ground and reaching out to different communities- certainly promising to possible relaunch of junior reds in some capacity ?

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

So is there a junior reds that can be joined without having a season ticket ?

I know as much as you at the moment. There isn’t a formal “Junior Reds” that I can see, but the name definitely appears to be creeping back in with the U12 season ticket holders seemingly automatically enrolled. The signs are that they’re building to a relaunch, hopefully on a wider basis than non STH

21 minutes ago, cidercity said:

Or a child.

I wouldn’t mind a look around the HPC

Possibly something to ask Jerry, the SLO, if there’s anything that can be arranged?