35 tournaments

0 top tens

4 top twenties 

7 top fifties 

Missed cut 21 times 

Withdrawn twice 

Talk about signing a name rather than the quality 

• Admin

Three players from the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series have lost a court bid against the PGA Tour to play in the FedEx Cup Play-offs.

The PGA Tour has suspended members for taking part in the breakaway series.

Australian Matt Jones and Americans Talor Gooch and Hudson Swafford sought a temporary restraining order, clearing them to play at the first FedEx Cup play-off tournament this week.

However US District Judge Beth Labson Freeman sided with the PGA Tour.

The trio claimed the suspension was causing them "irreparable" harm.

But the judge, in her ruling, said the lucrative payments offered by LIV "are based upon players' calculations of what they were leaving behind".LIV Golf said it was "disappointed" in the judgement adding: "No-one gains by banning golfers from playing."

The three are among 11 players - including Phil Mickelson and Ian Poulter - contesting their suspensions with an anti-trust lawsuit against the PGA Tour.

However, only Jones, Gooch and Swafford had been seeking the restraining order to allow them to take part in the FedEx Cup Play-offs.

The $75m (£62m) three-tournament event starts in Memphis on Thursday.

Earlier, world number one Scottie Scheffler had spoken of his frustration at seeing the players suing the PGA Tour.

"Those guys kind of made their decision to go join another tour and they broke the rules and regulations of our tour, and now they're trying to sue us, which is definitely a bit frustrating," Scheffler said.

"It's kind of part of it now. Guys are going to leave. There's another tour going on and now they're suing us, so there's a lot going on."

Reports in Australia have claimed Open champion Cameron Smith and Australian compatriot Marc Leishman will be among those players joining LIV Golf in the near future.

Smith would not be drawn on the matter when asked on Tuesday.

Scheffler, though, has ruled out being among their number, despite the $25m (£20.72m) purse on offer at its events, saying it was never his "dream" to chase "financial benefits".

"I'm not going to speak about the guys that are going to LIV and all that speculation. If that's what they want to do, that's what they want to do.

"The PGA Tour is where I want to play and it continues to be the place where the best golfers in the world play."

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Tricky subject isn't it... Lee Westwood,  for instance, given loads to the European tour over the years but not really competing any more nearly 50 and the Saudis offer him a shit ton of cash to play 3 rounds of what amounts to exhibition.... I'd like to think I would turn it down.. but....

Remember you would be making that decision as a multi millionaire already.

If its a matter if principles it shouldn't matter but you kind of would have sympathy if it was a young broke rookie trying to secure his families future

4 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Tricky subject isn't it... Lee Westwood,  for instance, given loads to the European tour over the years but not really competing any more nearly 50 and the Saudis offer him a shit ton of cash to play 3 rounds of what amounts to exhibition.... I'd like to think I would turn it down.. but....

No issue with them taking the money but firstly be honest about why you've done it, who doesn't like getting a pay rise? And secondly don't expect you can have the best of both worlds, you've signed up to a new tour, don't expect to be able to see the benefits of the other one at the same time.

A guy approaches an attractive girl in a bar.

" would you sleep with me for £10,000?" he asks.

"yes I would" the girl quickly replies.

"Well I don't have £10,000, but would you sleep with me for £1,000?" he asks.

After a moments thought, the girl replies " Yes I think I would"

Then they guy says " all I have is £100, so would you sleep with me for that?"

"£100!" the girl replies angrily, "what type of girl do you take me for?"

"Oh, we've already established that" says the guy, "now were just haggling over the price"

That's LIV golfers!

On 12/08/2022 at 19:29, ralphindevon said:

Remember you would be making that decision as a multi millionaire already.

If its a matter if principles it shouldn't matter but you kind of would have sympathy if it was a young broke rookie trying to secure his families future

Yeah good point...does Lefty or Dustin Johnson  really need the money for instance?

Apparently Cam Smith is going to sign for a reported 200m!! .... that's a spicy meatball however rich you are....also the liv golfers may not be able to play on the tours but they'll be able to play in at least 3 of the majors I believe. 

On 13/08/2022 at 20:43, Will Rollason said:

Yeah good point...does Lefty or Dustin Johnson  really need the money for instance?

DJ is nearly 40 and for most golfers that is the time they decline. His wealth before LIV golf came along, and he was worth around 100 M USD (so ive read). He was reportedly paid 125 M USD for join LIV - Can you really blame someone for accepting an offer to double their wealth + the prospect of earning even more? I can't.

• Like 1

I've heard numerous reasons players have given for joining LIV - more time with families, growing the game, the team golf idea and that they want to force the PGA to make changes.

Laudable reasons no doubt, but without a £30-150m signing on fee how many of them would have gone?

On 08/06/2022 at 23:26, TonyTonyTony said:

If you are in the twilight of your career and someone offers you an obscene amount of money it’s hard to turn down. For anyone. 

Exactly, and if someone wants to ply their trade in a different competition then it should be their decision to do so.  Its a free world.

• Admin

The new entity has not been named yet but the shock news signals a new era of cooperation for previously rival tours and ends all outstanding litigation between the parties.

A statement said: "The parties have signed an agreement that combines PIF's golf-related commercial businesses and rights (including LIV Golf) with the commercial businesses and rights of the PGA TOUR and DP World Tour into a new, collectively owned, for-profit entity to ensure that all stakeholders benefit from a model that delivers maximum excitement and competition among the game's best players".

"In addition, PIF will make a capital investment into the new entity to facilitate its growth and success. The new entity (name TBD) will implement a plan to grow these combined commercial businesses, drive greater fan engagement and accelerate growth initiatives already underway. With LIV Golf in the midst of its second, groundbreaking season, the PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF will work together to best feature and grow team golf going forward.

"Notably, today's announcement will be followed by a mutually agreed end to all pending litigation between the participating parties. Further, the three organizations will work cooperatively and in good faith to establish a fair and objective process for any players who desire to re-apply for membership with the PGA TOUR or the DP World Tour following the completion of the 2023 season and for determining fair criteria and terms of re-admission, consistent with each Tour's policies."

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure this is a merger, more the Saudi state swallowing golf in its entirety. 

Golf is now basically going to be headed up by the Saudi PIF, just like Newcastle United are. A pretty sad day for golf I'd say.

They announced yesterday that they were taking over 4 of the leading Saudi football clubs, with the likes of Messi, Benzema, Busquets and Sergio Ramos rumoured to be joining Ronaldo out there.

Only a matter of time before they try to get their teeth into a European competition.

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They announced yesterday that they were taking over 4 of the leading Saudi football clubs, with the likes of Messi, Benzema, Busquets and Sergio Ramos rumoured to be joining Ronaldo out there.

Only a matter of time before they try to get their teeth into a European competition.

Taking over boxing too, they now have both Fury and Usyk by the balls. World Cup 2030 bid too. They are basically competing with the other emirate states to sportswash as much, and as quickly as possible.

And then we have the Americans slowly but surely taking over the Premier League...

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Taking over boxing too, they now have both Fury and Usyk by the balls. World Cup 2030 bid too. They are basically competing with the other emirate states to sportswash as much, and as quickly as possible.

And then we have the Americans slowly but surely taking over the Premier League...

At least we still have the Darts ? ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

All the whining about Saudi human rights abuses are just to be brushed under the carpet I take it. The utter hypocrisy of this is brilliantly funny.

Good for the game of golf, which is great, but Jesus do McIlroy, Horschell and Moynahan look like prize plums now. 

Out of the control of the likes of McIlroy so not sure how he looks like a plum.  The golfers aren’t the hypocrites here 

• Like 2

No one outside of LIV and the boards of the PGA Tour and DP Tour knew about this. The PGA didn't know, US PGA didn't know, players didn't know.

DP Tour controls the board of Ryder Cup Europe, including the Policy Board that decides selection, so it's possible that LIV players will be permitted to play in Italy. Possible, but not certain.

After the next edition in the autumn it's uncertain what happens to the Ryder Cup and the Majors.

It's money and the power that comes with money and nothing else.

17 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

All the whining about Saudi human rights abuses are just to be brushed under the carpet I take it. The utter hypocrisy of this is brilliantly funny.

Good for the game of golf, which is great, but Jesus do McIlroy, Horschell and Moynahan look like prize plums now. 

Your probably typed that on a laptop or phone made in a sweatshop in China. Its a hypocritical world and we are all guilty of it.

In regards to Rory - its and odd take to say he is a prize plum. A lot of what he said was highly principled, and if anything he has been stitched up. It will be interesting what he says, along with Tiger who was also anti LIV. He could have an extra 500 M in the bank

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Your probably typed that on a laptop or phone made in a sweatshop in China. Its a hypocritical world and we are all guilty of it.

In regards to Rory - its and odd take to say he is a prize plum. A lot of what he said was highly principled, and if anything he has been stitched up. It will be interesting what he says, along with Tiger who was also anti LIV. He could have an extra 500 M in the bank

I think Rory is more driven by winning majors than making money. Top players are defined by this and not how much they earn.