IGNORED

Squad number thread : Now confirmed

Olé

I was randomly looking at a list of retained players and became quite panicked when I did not see a number 10 and realised I could not remember who our number 10 last season was (I'll let you have the same fun finding out).

5 of the 11 are empty now. 2, 4, 7, 10, 11. Who steps up into them? 2 and 4 might seem obvious from summer signings. But do Weimann or Semenyo (assuming we retain them) move up or are they attached to their numbers?

Who takes on the coveted mantle of Callum O'Dowda's largely unworn number 11? Will Alex Scott be moving up into number 7 or even number 10? Will 42 or 45 still be here and will they still want to play with those numbers?

• 1 Bentley
  • 3 DaSilva
  • 5 Atkinson
  • 6 James
  • 8 Williams
  • 9 Martin

Discuss.

• Like 2

I'd forgotten our number 10 as well. Won't spoil it but to say...oh really?

Odd as well that number 4 never got reassigned after Nagy left. Also shows that even being given a number in the top 11 doesn't mean a player is staying.

I reckon Scott takes 10, Semenyo 11 if he stays, and Weimann will stick with 14 due to superstition. 

This is not likely to be the numbers they get, but given our signings so far (including Wilson, hopefully) and that Nige has insinuated that he would favour a back four, then this would be the team, for me.

1 Bentley

2 Wilson  4 Klose  5 Naismith  3 Dasilva

6 James  8 Williams

7 Weimann 10 Scott 11 Semenyo

9 Martin

• Like 1

Naismith wore 4 at Luton & Wilson 2 at FGR so that seems highly likely.

Sykes seems to have worn numerous numbers in his career so wouldn’t be surprised if he & Scott took 7 & 11.

If King stays he might well keep 10, even if he’s not a regular.

17 minutes ago, Orbital said:

This is not likely to be the numbers they get, but given our signings so far (including Wilson, hopefully) and that Nige has insinuated that he would favour a back four, then this would be the team, for me.

1 Bentley

6 James  8 Williams

9 Martin

I would really like that

41 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd forgotten our number 10 as well. Won't spoil it but to say...oh really?

Odd as well that number 4 never got reassigned after Nagy left. Also shows that even being given a number in the top 11 doesn't mean a player is staying.

I reckon Scott takes 10, Semenyo 11 if he stays, and Weimann will stick with 14 due to superstition. 

I’d agree with a lot of that. Scott will go 10 - even though King has it now it’s “merited” on performances, King as p/coach is clearly not first XI and as Scott’s idol is Grealish, I’d imagine he’d be happy to take the number.

Andi will stay 14 - he’s always worn it despite being consistent first choice and no reason to suspect that changes now.

Semenyo I think will stay 18. It’s the 1+8=number 9 logic some footballers have!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Orbital said:

1 Bentley

6 James  8 Williams

9 Martin

Harsh on Atkinson

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Harsh on Atkinson

True, but we now have some depth to our defensive options and they can’t all play.

If we keep Kalas, I would play him ahead of Atkinson. In a four, you could take out Dasilva and play: Wilson, Kalas, Klose, Naysmith.

If you change to a back three, you could push Wilson and Dasilva on as wingbacks (arguably more suitable to their skills) and play: Kalas, Klose and Naysmith.

Tough on Atkinson, but it is healthy competition for places. If Kalas goes then he is next in line, for me.

2 hours ago, Orbital said:

1 Bentley

6 James  8 Williams

9 Martin

Swap James and Klose then it's good.

Edited by DaveF

2 hours ago, Orbital said:

1 Bentley

6 James  8 Williams

9 Martin

Can't have a midfield 2 of James and Williams. Not mobile enough.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Orbital said:

True, but we now have some depth to our defensive options and they can’t all play.

If we keep Kalas, I would play him ahead of Atkinson. In a four, you could take out Dasilva and play: Wilson, Kalas, Klose, Naysmith.

If you change to a back three, you could push Wilson and Dasilva on as wingbacks (arguably more suitable to their skills) and play: Kalas, Klose and Naysmith.

Tough on Atkinson, but it is healthy competition for places. If Kalas goes then he is next in line, for me.

I didn't mean not selecting him, I meant taking #5 away from him. 

21 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not sure it matters anymore who wears what but if I'm being pedantic then James should change his number. I always think of 5 & 6 as centre Halves and 4 as a defensive midfield player. 

All of 4, 5 and 6 are fluid between centre backs and defensive midfielders. 

7 minutes ago, TBW said:

I didn't mean not selecting him, I meant taking #5 away from him. 

All of 4, 5 and 6 are fluid between centre backs and defensive midfielders. 

Always exceptions to the rule but not so much when I started, Nobby Stiles, Billy Bremner, Tommy Smith, Gordon Low to name but a few all played 4.

Although I could of course be reading far too much into this, I think there is some psychology behind these number changes.

Moving the likes of Bell, Towler & Idehen up the numbers into the 20s from the 30s shows their progress to them, I suspect the same thing will happen with Conway & Benarous, whilst Scott might well get a first 11 number.

Likewise Sykes is effectively being told that he’s a first team squad member, if not an automatic starter with 17.

Massengo at 30 is presumably because we want the squad to appear more compact than this no. 42, 45, 46 nonsense.

As Pearson said yesterday they are in competition with each other for places now.

• Like 2

What I've spotted so far...

1. Dan Bentley
2. Kane Wilson
3. Jay Dasilva
5. Rob Atkinson
6. Matty James
8. Joe Williams
9. Chris Martin
10. Andy King
12. Max O'Leary
13. Harvey Wiles-Richards
15. Tommy Conway
16. Cameron Pring
17. Mark Sykes
19. George Tanner
20. Sam Bell
23. Ryley Towler
24. Duncan Idehen
25. Timm Klose
26. Zak Vyner
27. Dylan Kadji
30. Han-Noah Massengo
52. Will Buse

Not yet seen in training or has no number printed etc.: Kal Naismith, Andreas Weimann, Antoine Semenyo, Nahki Wells, Tomas Kalas, Nathan Baker, Alex Scott, Ayman Benarous, Tyreeq Bakinson, Taylor Moore, James Morton, Owura Edwards, Saikou Janneh.

Obviously it can all change but if it didn't,  can probably take a guess at a few... Naismith 4, Weimann 14, Semenyo 11, Wells 21, Kalas 22, Scott 7, Benarous 18... the rest, who cares?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TBW said:

What I've spotted so far...

1. Dan Bentley
2. Kane Wilson
3. Jay Dasilva
5. Rob Atkinson
6. Matty James
8. Joe Williams
9. Chris Martin
10. Andy King
12. Max O'Leary
13. Harvey Wiles-Richards
15. Tommy Conway
16. Cameron Pring
17. Mark Sykes
19. George Tanner
20. Sam Bell
23. Ryley Towler
24. Duncan Idehen
25. Timm Klose
26. Zak Vyner
27. Dylan Kadji
30. Han-Noah Massengo
52. Will Buse

Not yet seen in training or has no number printed etc.: Kal Naismith, Andreas Weimann, Antoine Semenyo, Nahki Wells, Tomas Kalas, Nathan Baker, Alex Scott, Ayman Benarous, Tyreeq Bakinson, Taylor Moore, James Morton, Owura Edwards, Saikou Janneh.

Obviously it can all change but if it didn't,  can probably take a guess at a few... Naismith 4, Weimann 14, Semenyo 11, Wells 21, Kalas 22, Scott 7, Benarous 18... the rest, who cares?

Naismith, Kalas, Moore, Bakinson have all been at the RHPC this week, but haven’t necessarily made it into footage.  Benarous spotted doing rehab.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Naismith, Kalas, Moore, Bakinson have all been at the RHPC this week, but haven’t necessarily made it into footage.  Benarous spotted doing rehab.

Naismith is on footage, just has no number printed on his kit.