IGNORED

Squad number thread : Now confirmed

Olé

On 10/06/2022 at 08:28, Silvio Dante said:

I’d agree with a lot of that. Scott will go 10 - even though King has it now it’s “merited” on performances, King as p/coach is clearly not first XI and as Scott’s idol is Grealish, I’d imagine he’d be happy to take the number.

Andi will stay 14 - he’s always worn it despite being consistent first choice and no reason to suspect that changes now.

Semenyo I think will stay 18. It’s the 1+8=number 9 logic some footballers have!

was palmers 4 plus 5?

1 minute ago, brad blit said:

Bear in mind just because Scott and Semenyo have been given better squad numbers (in an old fashioned sense), it has no relevance as to whether they stay or not - City has a price for each player, and if that's met then you can say "Bonjour" ?

Presumably you mean ‘Au revoir’

• Haha 7

Most interesting part of this to me is we have left no number between 1-31 vacant at all.

Which either suggests no more signings or any new players get a high number or someone leaves & they will take that one.

Of the 4 who were told they could leave, Palmer & Moore have gone, Bakinson hasn’t been allocated one, so only Vyner has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Most interesting part of this to me is we have left no number between 1-31 vacant at all.

Which either suggests no more signings or any new players get a high number or someone leaves & they will take that one.

Of the 4 who were told they could leave, Palmer & Moore have gone, Bakinson hasn’t been allocated one, so only Vyner has.

Vyner is suitable as cover imo, but I'm talking cup games and the RARE sub on in the league. He's got a bit of something, just needs to shake the errors. But if we go into next season with Kalas, Naismith, Atkinson and Klose vying for the starting roles and Vyner and Idehen/Towler as cover I'd be happy. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

• The title was changed to Squad number thread : Now confirmed
5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Must have missed this - when did he say it out of interest?

Just before the trip to Austria - local press published the following on 24-6-22:

"Well, the only thing I will say on this one is I think I should manage people’s expectations that we don’t expect to see him in the squad this season.

“But in terms of making comments about timings or statements, you know, I’m not going to make any further comments on that but it’s very, very unlikely we’ll see him.

1 hour ago, James54De said:

No number for Bakinson ?

May as well give him 1001, because I'm pretty sure that 1001/1 is probably the best odds you'd get on him getting anywhere near the first team squad again!

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Just before the trip to Austria - local press published the following on 24-6-22:

"Well, the only thing I will say on this one is I think I should manage people’s expectations that we don’t expect to see him in the squad this season.

“But in terms of making comments about timings or statements, you know, I’m not going to make any further comments on that but it’s very, very unlikely we’ll see him.

I might be wrong but I wonder if Baker is pretty much clear about his future but is being kept under contract so he doesn't have to worry about paying his own medical costs. Perhaps also on the slim chance something might change. But, given his time at the club and he acquired his injury playing for us, it may be about our duty of care and taking responsibility for his wellbeing rather than because we expect him to play again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This occurred to me too. My reading of it is that we might get a veteran centre-back in as cover but aren't expecting too much else unless players unexpectedly move out.

Certainly I'm starting to wonder if a defensive midfielder isn't happening - which may be a decision to play 3 at the back, or that we've not been able to get the players we wanted and don't feel there's anyone out there who represents value for money. 

• Like 2

Towler, Idehen, Kadji, Pearson and Owers in the squad! Will we be calling on youth even more this season, or will we be loaning some of these out. As well as the more 'established' youth of Bell and Conway.

4 goalies now- does this suggest one of them is set to move on?

Edit- Oh and Benarous of course- as part of the more 'established' youth.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I might be wrong but I wonder if Baker is pretty much clear about his future but is being kept under contract so he doesn't have to worry about paying his own medical costs. Perhaps also on the slim chance something might change. But, given his time at the club and he acquired his injury playing for us, it may be about our duty of care and taking responsibility for his wellbeing rather than because we expect him to play again. 

Yeah, id hazard a guess that an insurance cover is dependent on continued testing and medical examinations.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

This occurred to me too. My reading of it is that we might get a veteran centre-back in as cover but aren't expecting too much else unless players unexpectedly move out.

Certainly I'm starting to wonder if a defensive midfielder isn't happening - which may be a decision to play 3 at the back, or that we've not been able to get the players we wanted and don't feel there's anyone out there who represents value for money. 

Plus if HNM stays, we have James, Williams, Scott, HNM, Sykes & King for central midfield already, with Benarous probably going to be back by Xmas.

Signing Wilson with Tanner as the alternative means we won’t need to play Scott there & if Weimann stayed in last season’s position when Semenyo was fit all those 6 are potentially competing for 2 places, anyway.

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus if HNM stays, we have James, Williams, Scott, HNM, Sykes & King for central midfield already, with Benarous probably going to be back by Xmas.

Signing Wilson with Tanner as the alternative means we won’t need to play Scott there & if Weimann stayed in last season’s position when Semenyo was fit all those 6 are potentially competing for 2 places, anyway.

Yeah - that is a good point. I must admit I'm still a bit fuzzy about where Sykes is going to play. I think I'm perceiving him as a direct alternative to Weimann just behind the front two but he'd obviously be a midfield option and, even on top of the ones you mentioned, there's also Owers if he develops (and isn't on loan) and even Vyner in an absolute midfield crisis so, as you say, we've got 5 or 6 players for two places plus several more who can cover in an emergency. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - that is a good point. I must admit I'm still a bit fuzzy about where Sykes is going to play. I think I'm perceiving him as a direct alternative to Weimann just behind the front two but he'd obviously be a midfield option and, even on top of the ones you mentioned, there's also Owers if he develops (and isn't on loan) and even Vyner in an absolute midfield crisis so, as you say, we've got 5 or 6 players for two places plus several more who can cover in an emergency. 

Based on last season i wouldnt trust king/ james/ williams to be more than the equivalent of one fully fit member if the squad. At this point massengo is still a doubt too. I think we know scott will play every game in there, if anything happens to him there is a massive problem