IGNORED

England v Italy Tammy starts

12 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I guess it shows what a decent job Southgate has done when people expect us to blow the Italians and the Germans away. 

It’s not just because of Southgate, as a nation we’re finally seeing the benefit of decent youth coaching. I was at an u8s tournament today, and the technical skills of some of the young players is exceptional at such a young age.

• Like 2

Too many passes going astray coupled with poor decision making have let England down. When given the chance to run at their goalie, the England players pass wide giving the defence time to reform. When confronted by three defenders, England's forwards will try running through instead of passing to an unmarked team mate.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I guess it shows what a decent job Southgate has done when people expect us to blow the Italians and the Germans away. 

Or the quality we have available. Lets be honest, with the attacking players we have the last 3 games have been shocking. We are so boring and predictable. Not going to comment on Southgate as its been done to death.

• Like 3

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Hmmmm , in terms of World Cup auditions , not too many made a statement to enhance their chances of inclusion 

Ramsdale Maybe the only one

Tomori was decent. Otherwise it had a distinctly second string feel about it……including Grealish who is starting to have that unfortunate look of being an impact player and not a starter.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Nobody was expecting England to blow Germany or Italy away but many were expecting a more flamboyant and attacking style of play from England but GS is way too cautious for my liking - it’s like watching paint dry…………….:sleeping:

Im struggle to remember the last time I enjoyed an England game.

Just now, The Coach said:

I have this dreary feeling we are going to flop at the WC big time. 

We are starting to look a bit stale and predictable , difficult to fully tell considering the timing of these games , but we have a limited tactical approach, increasingly reliant on some individual quality from certain players to get us a result 

Most England players look unsurprisingly knackered.......why does Southgate keep playing a right footed left back?  Looking at the results and general standard, the Nations League/Cup whatever, is a competition too far.  Players should be on holiday, not playing more football IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Trippier having a nightmare. Every Italy attack coming down our left. Is there not a left footed Left Back we can pick?

One of my pet hates. how the hell can you break at pace when the ball is played wide and the fullback cant cross or play a pass from the touchline.

How can forwards time runs when the player cuts the ball back on to his favoured foot.

Pathetic, maybe we dont want to counter attack . apart from that defending as a fullback on the wrong side is a nightmare.

Unless you can kick with either foot of coarse.

1 hour ago, Ecko said:

So we've been hit with a harsher penalty than the Hungarians who were racist? Uefa logic 

No the Hungarians twisted the rules to bring in 1000s of children and then of course a certain number of adults to “look after” them. The penalties from UEFA were the same, except being British, we followed the spirit and the letter of the law.

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Michael Owen seeming to agree that Southgate is just too cautious in the way he sets the team up. I can accept that I know f all compared to the England coach, but when he agrees with my view I start to think maybe Gareth is holding us back. 

For all the love there has been for him since the 2018 World Cup, and he did go one further than Terry Venables at the Euros, unlike most previous England managers who had usually won something,  Southgate’s record as a club manager would suggest “below average to average” at best. Maybe he’s just a lucky version of “Shteeve” McClaren! Although neither of them could beat Croatia when it mattered….