IGNORED

Max O’Leary Irish call-up

Dr Balls

Couldn’t see it mentioned anywhere on here but it would seem Max was on the bench for the Republic of Ireland win  against Scotland. Previous call ups in 2019 and back in March haven’t yet led to an actual appearance, which would seem to be the curse of the goalkeeper

Next game for the Republic is away against Ukraine on Tuesday. What chances of a debut for Max?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Not like the Nations League matters. May as well give him a game sooner or later. Ghana are going to a World Cup and have Jo Wollacott in goal, I'm sure Ireland would be fine with O'Leary.

Theyre unlikely to need him as they have a few better, younger Keepers. He's probably only really there to make up the numbers. 

On 12/06/2022 at 01:32, DaveF said:

Theyre unlikely to need him as they have a few better, younger Keepers. He's probably only really there to make up the numbers. 

Ouch!

Even being 4th or 5th choice for your country is still an achievement for a young keeper who is not our first choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Ouch!

Even being 4th or 5th choice for your country is still an achievement for a young keeper who is not our first choice.

True but dav is correct,

Max is a great lad and decent keeper, but he is only really a number 2 here, I think for him to progress his career he needs to leave us

4 hours ago, Calculus said:

Max is also 26 in October. Really needs to move on and be a number one somewhere. 

Easy to forget how old he is, has actually been involved within the first team squad for quite a few years now.

I think moving forward for Max, he either needs to accept that he is one of those "back up keepers" who don't get many minutes per season (on average), or he needs to move on and maybe take a move lower down the chain to establish himself as a number 1. Just look at Jojo - going nowhere here, moves to Swindon gets the games and an international call-up. Depends how much he wants/likes the international gig when he gets there.

Some goalkeepers are content to be "on call" when needed. I don't think Max fits that description, but despite a prolonged shot earlier this season, he couldn't keep the position. Personally I think if someone shows an interest in him, then the club would probably accept a nominal fee with clauses to let him progress his career.

Having said that though, I hope he gets some minutes, it would be a great achievement for him. Saying that the experience in it's own right will be great experience.