IGNORED

SOCCER AID 2022-

E.G.Red

53,000 Sell out this afternoon (12th June) @ London Stadium Celebrities v World XI for UNICEF.. On ITV . Two interesting managers Harry Redkapp v Arsene Wenger, and a chance to see some stars of the not too distant past Results currently stand at 5-5. One thing it won't be is a bore draw.

Edited by E.G.Red

Pretty sure that Roy Keane quote is made up, but as I said about the Nations League, June should be a month when no football is played.

Genuinely amazed anyone who is actually interested in football watches shite like this.

Reminds me of the film version of Porridge where the inmates play a Celebrity XI that ends up including a regional TV weatherman & an actor whose been in an advert, “we did have one of The Goodies but he’s a no show”.

Absolute ******* rubbish, just donate what you possibly can to charity & stop this sort of bollocks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure that Roy Keane quote is made up, but as I said about the Nations League, June should be a month when no football is played.

Genuinely amazed anyone who is actually interested in football watches shite like this.

Reminds me of the film version of Porridge where the inmates play a Celebrity XI that ends up including a regional TV weatherman & an actor whose been in an advert, “we did have one of The Goodies but he’s a no show”.

Absolute ******* rubbish, just donate what you possibly can to charity & stop this sort of bollocks.

In fairness prob rather watch this than these pointless England games at the moment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I quite enjoyed an initial series they did of this, where they went through an X-Factor trials fortnight, gradually weeding out the ones who couldn’t play, but thought they could.  People like Alec Stewart, Damian Lewis, Ben Shepherd, Dean Lennox-Kelly all showed they were decent footballers from different backgrounds.  But then it descended into a farce.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I quite enjoyed an initial series they did of this, where they went through an X-Factor trials fortnight, gradually weeding out the ones who couldn’t play, but thought they could.  People like Alec Stewart, Damian Lewis, Ben Shepherd, Dean Lennox-Kelly all showed they were decent footballers from different backgrounds.  But then it descended into a farce.

Not a surprise but people who excel at one sport are often good at another, both Lineker & Gary Neville are very good cricketers, James Hildreth of Somerset played county level hockey.

That at least makes some sense but I’ll be honest it just isn’t for me & I’m happy to give all football a miss after the playoffs until the new season starts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was on Sky One IIRC - “The Match”. As you said it had celebrities from all areas and it didn’t matter how famous you were - if you weren’t good enough, you were cut.

The aforementioned Jonathan Wilkes was the best player (although only famous for being Williams mate) and made captain. The celeb team then played against an ex-England XI.

Williams, realising he was a talentless publicity whore, then took the idea to ITV, who cannot have an original idea of their own (see Dancing on Ice vs SCD). ITV killed the concept of ability counting to appease the fat dancer from Take That so he could play, and turned it into a vehicle for useless celebrities to live out yet another dream.

So, we’re now at a position where we, as the public, are being asked by people who have far more money than us to give money because they’re living a fantasy of being a footballer. In short, they can go whistle.

See also being asked to donate because Tax dodging hypocrite Gary Barlow wants to climb Kilimanjaro.

Tossers, the lot of them. Take That with an alarmingly high ratio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 3

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’d be fairly confident that Roy didn’t say that all as well. In fact, I’m fairly sure he played in one of the games a few years ago & had to go off injured. But it will be no doubt something people latch onto, as they have a pre perceived idea of Roy. COYR 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If there was a way of finding out would love to know the split in that crowd between football fans and the type that think OK magazine is a valuable source of news 

The last one I went to was at old Trafford. I must admit I only went mainly as it was a ground I hadn't been to, and I would guess many were the same.

It was a Sunday night and traffic was a nightmare afterwards with many of the buses cancelled or only running a Sunday service. Even the locals said it was worse than usual, the bus company seemingly weren't aware of this match. I bet the majority of kids didnt go into school the next day! No ubers to be had either, I ended up walking 4 miles back to my hotel. And to top it off it poured with rain, thunder and lightening all through.

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Watch some of the FA disabled football finals if you have BT 

I watched the blind final yesterday - truly amazing , fascinating , and humbling

its the Powerchair final and deaf final today 

Watched it today  Shame that there weren't any teams from Bristol or the West.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not a surprise but people who excel at one sport are often good at another, both Lineker & Gary Neville are very good cricketers, James Hildreth of Somerset played county level hockey.

That at least makes some sense but I’ll be honest it just isn’t for me & I’m happy to give all football a miss after the playoffs until the new season starts.

Lineker is also very good at snooker. Used to play/practice with Willy Thorne.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

proper funny film though.......when mckay sneezes into the big pot of curry and loses his teeth........

• Flames 1

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It’s concerning if you don’t know how to check if a quote is real or not yourself

Massive issue with the world right now. I don’t think snopes.com extends to Roy Keane quotes, but it’s quite clearly and quite obviously fake. Along with a lot of serious issue nonsense that people just lap up

ironically they are normally the ones who tell people to “wake up”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Christ. It’s raised 38 Million for charity and you complain about it. Just don’t watch it.

• Like 2