IGNORED

Elton John at Ashton Gate

petelekg

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Most over-rated performer ever, hasn’t had a decent song since Benny and the jets, why people would want to waste decent money on this guy is beyond me

All a matter of opinion.

I'm not a massive fan, but he's had his moments over the years. What I never can understand is how he's got so wealthy, particularly as he doesn't write the lyrics, so has had to share royalties - and hasn't had a hit album for yonks.

The two junior Robbos however are fans and went along and said it was a fabulous evening.  That doesn't surprise me: when someone has been in bands and performing since the 60s they've usually honed their stage craft.  

• Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 14:16, Red-Robbo said:

All a matter of opinion.

I'm not a massive fan, but he's had his moments over the years. What I never can understand is how he's got so wealthy, particularly as he doesn't write the lyrics, so has had to share royalties - and hasn't had a hit album for yonks.

Rr, he wrote the music for The Lion King. The stage musical version is still very popular 25 years later.

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2022 at 14:16, Red-Robbo said:

All a matter of opinion.

The two junior Robbos however are fans and went along and said it was a fabulous evening.  That doesn't surprise me: when someone has been in bands and performing since the 60s they've usually honed their stage craft.  

He's had 21 top ten albums in the UK alone, the last one only six years ago

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Obviously flew over my head, but then I'm not a big fan. Last time I can remember him being in the charts was his Lady Di rework of Candle In The Wind. 

That probably was the last time he was in the singles chart haha. I think the days of Elton John (and probably decent music in general) filling the Top 40 are long gone, sadly. His album Made in England (from about 1996) had some great stuff on it.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

That probably was the last time he was in the singles chart haha. I think the days of Elton John (and probably decent music in general) filling the Top 40 are long gone, sadly. His album Made in England (from about 1996) had some great stuff on it.

https://www.number-ones.co.uk/singles/Elton-John-number-ones.html

A few duets quite recently. He had a no1 with Dua Lipa in 2021. He did sing this on Wednesday night with Dua Lipa (she was on screen), he f*cked it up and had to start it again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.number-ones.co.uk/singles/Elton-John-number-ones.html

A few duets quite recently. He had a no1 with Dua Lipa in 2021. He did sing this on Wednesday night with Dua Lipa (she was on screen), he f*cked it up and had to start it again.

You only need to sell about 50 downloads these days to get a Number One! :whistle2: :laugh:

So, other than Are You Ready For Love (which was a re-release of a 70s track) and his grief-fest rewrite of another 70s track, his last solo #1 was in 1990 with the abject Sacrifice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not a fan of Reg but Bernie Taupin is one of the lyricists ever and the lyrics are the best part of his songs.

Always amazes me how few people give Taupin credit.

He mentioned Bernie a lot on Wednesday. They worked as a team well all these years with Taupin delivering the words to his music writing. 
One thing I forgot was his piano skills and done a great bit at the end of Rocket Man with just him and the guitarist. 

The thing I did notice was he looked like a 75 year walking round and that’s with his new hips. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You only need to sell about 50 downloads these days to get a Number One! :whistle2: :laugh:

So, other than Are You Ready For Love (which was a re-release of a 70s track) and his grief-fest rewrite of another 70s track, his last solo #1 was in 1990 with the abject Sacrifice. 

I liked Sacrifice!

52 minutes ago, thatchersgold said:

Any private parking for this event? The busses are all full

There is parking, I think it’s the Sam FM carpark or Cricket pitch  but I saw signs saying parking £20 at both Killers and Elton John gigs I’ve been too. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think it has always been a well known fact that he hadn’t had a solo number one until then anyway. 

On 23/06/2022 at 13:40, Sandhurst Red said:

Far less busy based on Ticketmaster - a LOT of seats left to sell, in particular seats on the pitch area. 

I did keep looking to see if "surge ticketing" would work the other way. I wondered as sales dried up, the price would drop, but no. 

I've not liked much of his stuff for years, but would have gone if tickets were cheaper. I end up buying 2 tickets every time, for me & Mrs Maaan, so can get expensive. I no longer bother to watch bands/artists unless I really like them at this sort of price.

On 25/06/2022 at 08:50, AshtonGreat said:

He's had 21 top ten albums in the UK alone, the last one only six years ago

He also (nearly) sells out big venues at £100 a ticket whenever he feels the need, and done that for the last 10/15 years. 
I think he owns his own rights as well, so almost everything goes to him. 

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He also (nearly) sells out big venues at £100 a ticket whenever he feels the need, and done that for the last 10/15 years. 
I think he owns his own rights as well, so almost everything goes to him. 

Not sure how much of a cut he gets out of all the merchandise. However on Wednesday they sold loads of stuff so must make a good living just off those sales. 

6 minutes ago, cider11 said:

Not sure how much of a cut he gets out of all the merchandise. However on Wednesday they sold loads of stuff so must make a good living just off those sales. 

A quick Google said he's worth £500 million, so not sure he needs to worry about the leech bill.

19 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Just been to see him at AG. Absolutely phenomenal

Yup, just back myself. Amazing performer. Wasn't quite sure about the sound system early on from where I was but it seemed to get sorted out well enough. Great night though...

• Like 2