IGNORED

Downsy off to Qatar World Cup?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Saying he only got the job because he ticks a box, rather than talent/hard work, is exactly what you meant.

And to say that is wrong. You don’t know why or how he got the job.

Yes. That’s exactly what I meant. But in the sense that it is designed to fulfil a facade aimed at making Qatar appear ‘welcoming’. But it won’t change bugger all once the tournament is over. 

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes. That’s exactly what I meant. But in the sense that it is designed to fulfil a facade aimed at making Qatar appear ‘welcoming’. But it won’t change bugger all once the tournament is over. 

You have no clue why he was offered the job.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Of course, and to be fair I initially thought your post was meant more hatefully than it clearly was so fair play for your explanation. But as correct as you may well be in thinking that way, the knock off in saying that it's due to ticking boxes, is that you've also essentially said there that he probably doesn't deserve the job, which in itself is a bit unfair too. Particularly considering we know sod all about it at this stage.

Edited by nebristolred

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I think you misunderstand and have jumped the gun somewhat to accuse. 
The reason I say what I said is 100% as a point to call out Qatar. 
I sense they will be open to ‘welcoming’ gay people as a way of making it appear as if the awarding of the World Cup to them is allowing them to change their ways and ‘open up’ as a country. When in truth, once the World Cup is over, they won’t change a damn thing. 
So, don’t get overly defensive, my statement was not homophobic, it was actually designed to call out homophobia by the backwards Middle Easterners. There will clearly be a very visible facade on show for a month, before they revert to their primitive mentality immediately afterwards. 

I suspect you are spot on in your assessment of Qatar, and it is a good thing to call them out on it every chance you get.

However, if this is indeed a job in Qatar (which doesn't exactly seem clear) then his sexuality will have had no bearing on that whatsoever. It just seems quite often that if a person is anything other than heterosexual then it is brought up in all sorts of situations where it really doesn't need to be.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Is it really unthinkable that a professional DJ, and an announcer at a Championship football club, and Premiership Rugby club, may actually be the most qualified person for the job? 

Do you know what the job is? Do you know other candidates that applied? Do you know how many jobs gay people are rejected for because their face doesn’t fit?

To suggest he’s only got the job for being Gay is very shitty to be honest. 

• Like 2

There are none so blind…… 

If you folks taking umbridge at my opinion think that there’s not gonna be excess quota’s put in place especially for this tournament to make it appear ‘open and welcoming’ then you are either blind or wilfully ignorant. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are none so blind…… 

If you folks taking umbridge at my opinion think that there’s not gonna be excess quota’s put in place especially for this tournament to make it appear ‘open and welcoming’ then you are either blind or wilfully ignorant. 

FWIW Harry

I’ll stick my head above the parapet - I saw your comment as a different way of saying what you’ve said above

World War 3 erupts and a pack jump when you say anything that’s anything that even resembles anything not in line or politically correct in their opinion 

Dont lose any sleep

Im not sure if there will , or won’t be positioning of people for the WC but on recent evidence you’d have to be surprised if not

It’s no different to the modern assembly of football presenters and pundits , if anyone thinks everyone of them is in a position because they are the best available pundit , then good luck 

Whatever happened to the best person regardless of sex , colour , sexual orientation , or religion etc getting the gig -

Somewhat old fashioned I know , but that’s the absolute definition of ‘equal opportunities’ .........isn’t it ?

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

FWIW Harry

I’ll stick my head above the parapet - I saw your comment as a different way of saying what you’ve said above

World War 3 erupts and a pack jump when you say anything that’s anything that even resembles anything not in line or politically correct in their opinion 

Dont lose any sleep

Im not sure if there will , or won’t be positioning of people for the WC but on recent evidence you’d have to be surprised if not

It’s no different to the modern assembly of football presenters and pundits , if anyone thinks everyone of them is in a position because they are the best available pundit , then good luck 

Whatever happened to the best person regardless of sex , colour , sexual orientation , or religion etc getting the gig -

Somewhat old fashioned I know , but that’s the absolute definition of ‘equal opportunities’ .........isn’t it ?

Ditto to everything that you have said above

I know @Harry and know many others on here do too, for those that don't know him take my word for it he is the last person that would post something to the way many have misunderstood his post

I guess part of reading something is that it can be taken out of context or not fully appreciating the tone is was written

Just to add one other thing, my money is that Downsy isn't actually going to be working in Qatar, he would be outsourced by some entertainment company doing corporate work rather than working for FIFA etc

He isn't my cup of tea what he does on a matchday, but clearly there are those that do appreciate and like what he does for the football and rugby clubs, reading some of the comments they are a bit personal, but we are all entitled to our opinion

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

I know @Harry and know many others on here do too, for those that don't know him take my word for it he is the last person that would post something to the way many have misunderstood his post

He is saying Downsy only got the job because he's gay. Not because he's the most talented. That is unfair, he does not know this at all.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

FWIW Harry

Dont lose any sleep

The problem is though that whenever anyone who isn't a straight while man gets a job people immediately assume it's probably because of some other characteristic. That's not fair, or right.

Maybe they interviewed him and he was the best for the job - nobody here has any idea either way.

People are speculating they hired him because he was gay, based off ANOTHER speculation that they want to see "open" by hiring more gay people. That's ridiculous. Assumptions on assumptions.

It's nothing about "world war 3", packs, and sticking heads over parapets, don't be so dramatic.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess to be pedantic nobody can say either way

Exactly. So why not take the route of not being a dick. What has Harry benefitted from saying that? Downsy could come this forum, and feel rather shit from reading Harry’s post to be honest. 

59 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

The problem is though that whenever anyone who isn't a straight while man gets a job people immediately assume it's probably because of some other characteristic. That's not fair, or right.

But many people know that a huge chunk of people are in their jobs when they are not the best people for the job. If certain Organisations openly promote positive discrimination, what are people meant to think when certain people who seem to be generally poor get the job? That even goes for the likes of plenty of white straight men like Michal Owen when he had a stint on BT, awful, he didn't get it because he was the best person for the job. There won't be many who wouldn't want Michelle Owen doing the same job because she is very good.

Do you think all of the people on Sky Sports, Soccer Saturday, Sky News, Sky Cricket, Sky Motorsport etc etc all got their jobs for being the best there was? Honestly? I mean Sky News never hire the more easy on the eye women do they, year after year, but they only want equality....

Do you think the BBC get on the most popular comedians on their panel shows, or do they get on comedians that tick all their boxes - whilst viewing figures tank?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

Exactly. So why not take the route of not being a dick. What has Harry benefitted from saying that? Downsy could come this forum, and feel rather shit from reading Harry’s post to be honest. 

He wasn't being a dick, he was just saying what he thought and clarified his position. 

Have you never said anything directly to anyone on here that may make them "feel rather shit" from reading your post then? You know like calling someone a dick? Why haven't you took Harrys feelings into it? You are basically doing the same thing that you are accusing him of aren't you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheReds said:

He wasn't being a dick, he was just saying what he thought and clarified his position. 

Have you never said anything directly to anyone on here that may make them "feel rather shit" from reading your post then? You know like calling someone a dick? Why haven't you took Harrys feelings into it? You are basically doing the same thing that you are accusing him of aren't you?

Nope, I believe saying someone only gets a job because they tick a box, with no proof of that, is a dick move. Why say anything at all? What is there to gain from saying it?

Harry posting that, is proof, of him being a dick. I'm calling him out, so moving forward he doesn't just belittle peoples good news without good reason.

That's the difference.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

Nope, I believe saying someone only gets a job because they tick a box, with no proof of that, is a dick move. Why say anything at all? What is there to gain from saying it?

Harry posting that, is proof, of him being a dick. I'm calling him out, so moving forward he doesn't just belittle peoples good news without good reason.

That's the difference.

Just calling it as I see it. As I’ve quantified. I personally have no objection to anyone of any sexuality filling this role. I’m just pointing out that this Qatar World Cup will be prime estate for putting on a show of equality, but they’ll revert to type once it’s over. 
If that maketh me a dick, then a dick I be. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

That's the difference.

How does anyone get any proof that they got a job because they ticked a box? They cannot, but anyone can still believe or think they did and post that if they want to, it is just an opinion, you may not like it but that's tough. Does everyone need proof of everything they post on here when they say "I think......" or is it only when it comes to ticking boxes?

He has clarified exactly what he meant.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

From what he said to me last time I spoke to him, I imagine he avoids this place like the plague. He knows the consensus of opinion of those who shout loudest on here.

On 13/06/2022 at 18:01, Harry said:

I think you misunderstand and have jumped the gun somewhat to accuse. 
The reason I say what I said is 100% as a point to call out Qatar. 
I sense they will be open to ‘welcoming’ gay people as a way of making it appear as if the awarding of the World Cup to them is allowing them to change their ways and ‘open up’ as a country. When in truth, once the World Cup is over, they won’t change a damn thing. 
So, don’t get overly defensive, my statement was not homophobic, it was actually designed to call out homophobia by the backwards Middle Easterners. There will clearly be a very visible facade on show for a month, before they revert to their primitive mentality immediately afterwards. 

It’s not exactly a secret. 

That's how I see it...however...why would he apply for the job? Why would you want to support a regime that has the death penalty for his sexuality? Makes no sense to me.

Same for women who want to flock to Dubai. They treat woman like second class citizens. Why support a regime like that?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

That's how I see it...however...why would he apply for the job? Why would you want to support a regime that has the death penalty for his sexuality? Makes no sense to me.

Same for women who want to flock to Dubai. They treat woman like second class citizens. Why support a regime like that?

It's a point of view that I can share, but maybe he's not very political and sees it as a once in a lifetime career opportunity?

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a point of view that I can share, but maybe he's not very political and sees it as a once in a lifetime career opportunity?

So selling your principles for money then...

Humanitarian rather than political imo

Edited by spudski

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

So selling your principles for money then...

Humanitarian rather than political imo

Well he's in good company there, he didn't choose for the WC to be there and he hasn't had any influence on any of the countries who have agreed to attend. Bit much suggesting he is only one with no principles 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well he's in good company there, he didn't choose for the WC to be there and he hasn't had any influence on any of the countries who have agreed to attend. Bit much suggesting he is only one with no principles 

I agree... however...he's an individual. He can make educated decisions.

We have no idea of his reasons for going.

However...support that country by working for them...knowing their policies...then he has absolute no standing in future when supporting all inclusivity in this country.

If you have principles...you stick to them. You don't break them...just because others have and it may pay well etc.

Sorry...lost my respect.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree... however...he's an individual. He can make educated decisions.

We have no idea of his reasons for going.

However...support that country by working for them...knowing their policies...then he has absolute no standing in future when supporting all inclusivity in this country.

If you have principles...you stick to them. You don't break them...just because others have and it may pay well etc.

Sorry...lost my respect.

Not working for Qatar though, he is working for FIFA in Qatar, which admittedly opens a whole different can of worms. :) But then we are all slighted tainted by FIFA and their dubious morals just be following football.

Maybe he thinks the way that some famous sports people and celebrities have felt about other countries like South Africa, that one way of changing things is to mix with and show them a different way? 

It's not really an approach I agree with, but I know that there are many who do.

I also suspect that Downsy may not have had your respect before anyway.

Unless i'm missing something....

Has Downsey actually confirmed yet who is going to be working for/where he will be working.

I saw the tweet when it first came out, and asked the question whether it was actually from FIFA or not?

Still no clearer that it isn't working for another organisation.

Apologies if I've missed the clarification.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not working for Qatar though, he is working for FIFA in Qatar, which admittedly opens a whole different can of worms. :) But then we are all slighted tainted by FIFA and their dubious morals just be following football.

Maybe he thinks the way that some famous sports people and celebrities have felt about other countries like South Africa, that one way of changing things is to mix with and show them a different way? 

It's not really an approach I agree with, but I know that there are many who do.

I also suspect that Downsy may not have had your respect before anyway.

Do people actually think the way you suggest?

I suspect it's more to do with money, self promotion etc.

The world, it's governments, big businesses etc...all full of hypocrisy. 

Full of do good ideas...but when money comes into the equation...it's out the window.

I don't know enough about Downey to really have an opinion on him.

Respect or not...his sexual preference has the death penalty in the country he has chosen to work in. He's ' supporting' that system and idealogy by doing that.

He's supporting that vile country...yet I suspect will support everything in trying to make this country all inclusive...yet...we are probably one of the most tolerant and all inclusive countries in the world.

Sorry ...but it stinks of hypocrisy.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1