IGNORED

Downsy off to Qatar World Cup?

CyderInACan

4 hours ago, TheReds said:

But many people know that a huge chunk of people are in their jobs when they are not the best people for the job. If certain Organisations openly promote positive discrimination, what are people meant to think when certain people who seem to be generally poor get the job? That even goes for the likes of plenty of white straight men like Michal Owen when he had a stint on BT, awful, he didn't get it because he was the best person for the job. There won't be many who wouldn't want Michelle Owen doing the same job because she is very good.

Do you think all of the people on Sky Sports, Soccer Saturday, Sky News, Sky Cricket, Sky Motorsport etc etc all got their jobs for being the best there was? Honestly? I mean Sky News never hire the more easy on the eye women do they, year after year, but they only want equality....

Do you think the BBC get on the most popular comedians on their panel shows, or do they get on comedians that tick all their boxes - whilst viewing figures tank?

Of course people are in their jobs who aren't the best - that probably goes for most jobs in fact! The best person being in the best job for them is actually pretty unusual.

For the record as well, positive discrimination is illegal. If you hire someone based off a protected characteristic you're breaking the law, just like if you don't hire them for that reason. Does it happen sometimes? Well, of course. Just look at how many of our politicians went to Eton and Oxbridge for gods sake ;) but weirdly most (not all!) people bringing it up don't get so bothered by that. Hmm.

Anyway, nobody has said all the people on TV get their jobs for being the best there are though - but that also doesn't mean that all people who are gay or black or whatever got their job for that reason. That's why I think it's unfair and presumptuous to assume it.

"They're gay so that must be why they got the job, because I don't like them". That's not fair.

I also think that in entertainment, as with your comedy example, it's subjective isn't it - lots of people do probably find people on TV funny who I don't. I bloody hate Jimmy Carr for example, but if he were gay I wouldn't assume that's why he was getting gigs. I just accept lots of people do like them, as they have different taste from me.

Does positive discrimination occur sometimes? Of course.

Is it as widespread as some people want to make out it is? No - and I'd say it's intentionally stirred up by some folk (nobody on here, to be absolutely clear) for nefarious reasons.

Do I think it weird that the first thought in some people's mind when someone gets hired is "Oh look they're gay/black/muslim/<whatever>"? Absolutely!

Downsy isn't my cup of tea, In fact I find him overly excitable and to be honest pretty annoying, but I'm sure he's a decent bloke and I hope if he is going to Qatar it works out well for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The world, it's governments, big businesses etc...all full of hypocrisy. 

This, along with plenty of others on here who pick and choose when to be backing the "right thing" at the time, until it may affect them then they don't say a word.... 

Just have a look at big business Social Media accounts with their rainbow Pride month badges and statuses, then look at the same companies with their Middle East social media accounts - not a rainbow in sight. It's as if they are a bunch of hypocrites, but they still seem to get a free pass for their "equality for all" stance. They should be doing it the opposite way around, but that will never happen as it will hit them in their pockets from both sides.

They are all for equality until it doesn't suit their own business models. They should put *Terms and Conditions apply* (as someone else put on here), after every pathetic virtue signalling statement they put out. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of people still remember Downsy from his first few matches, where his tone of address was more that of a hype-man than that of a match day announcer.

He changed his pitch and I think he does a reasonable job of trying to be all things to all people. There with the team news and being enthusiastic with younger supporters.

No one person is going to please everyone, but it is reasonable to say he has done a good job in BS3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheReds said:

This, along with plenty of others on here who pick and choose when to be backing the "right thing" at the time, until it may affect them then they don't say a word.... 

Just have a look at big business Social Media accounts with their rainbow Pride month badges and statuses, then look at the same companies with their Middle East social media accounts - not a rainbow in sight. It's as if they are a bunch of hypocrites, but they still seem to get a free pass for their "equality for all" stance. They should be doing it the opposite way around, but that will never happen as it will hit them in their pockets from both sides.

They are all for equality until it doesn't suit their own business models. They should put *Terms and Conditions apply* (as someone else put on here), after every pathetic virtue signalling statement they put out. 

I couldn't agree more...most of it is ' Symbolic'.

Sadly many side with politics rather than humanitarian aspects. It's so obvious on here especially. 

The world system is broke. Sadly trying to live away from the ' system' is nigh on impossible. 

It's the system and how we live our lives that needs to change for a better future.

Trying to implement better actions in this world system is fruitless...waste of time and energy.

• Like 1

This is a surreal thread based on a surreal claim.

Just to calm it all down a bit, FIFA has a huge amount of branding rules which include requiring their sponsors and other “partners” to always refer to a specific tournament with the hosting country as part of the given name (which is designed to be a perpetual marketing benefit to the host nation). As such FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 is just a name.

An email to Downsy about being selected for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 is not the same thing as being selected to be at the World Cup IN Qatar. Plenty of people in the UK will have roles linked to “FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022”. I’d have thought the most logical thing is he is DJing a sponsor fan park in Bristol or a slot on an official tournament internet radio.

And if this isn’t surreal and he is going to Qatar then good luck to him - hopefully the slaves and bonded labour didn’t die for nothing building stadiums and they put in a better sound system than the Dolman. Stadium announcers at FIFA/UEFA tournaments just play Shaggy, mention FIFA and sponsors all the time and then start a countdown for kick off. *cringe*

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think a lot of people still remember Downsy from his first few matches, where his tone of address was more that of a hype-man than that of a match day announcer.

He changed his pitch and I think he does a reasonable job of trying to be all things to all people. There with the team news and being enthusiastic with younger supporters.

No one person is going to please everyone, but it is reasonable to say he has done a good job in BS3.

I don't think he is that good at what he does. But my main gripe isn't with him, it's the extra 'fluff' we have to put up with at matches over the past few years.

Even the music can get switched off as far as I'm concerned. The only bit I like is the Galvanise count down video, which I think is excellent, just before the start.

Saying that I still don't like the polite handshake line up by the players, so much better when they ran out of the tunnel to a roar.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I don't think he is that good at what he does. But my main gripe isn't with him, it's the extra 'fluff' we have to put up with at matches over the past few years.

Even the music can get switched off as far as I'm concerned. The only bit I like is the Galvanise count down video, which I think is excellent, just before the start.

Saying that I still don't like the polite handshake line up by the players, so much better when they ran out of the tunnel to a roar.

The running out, ready for battle was, like you say, much better than the handshake and all the pomp that now goes on pre game.

But under what other circumstances can you justify charging a well meaning parent £££££ so their little one can be a mascot? ?

The game has changed a bit, back in my youth, a lobbed roll of shit-tickets and confetti from a complimentary copy of the Evening Post was all we needed to signify 'game on', these days it's a video countdown, it's goals, it's a crazy PA system that chooses to share its sound with the select few and as for Mike Lewis telling us about a quiz up the BAWA... Forget it.

Is it better, is it worse? Not for me to decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

The running out, ready for battle was, like you say, much better than the handshake and all the pomp that now goes on pre game.

But under what other circumstances can you justify charging a well meaning parent £££££ so their little one can be a mascot? ?

The game has changed a bit, back in my youth, a lobbed roll of shit-tickets and confetti from a complimentary copy of the Evening Post was all we needed to signify 'game on', these days it's a video countdown, it's goals, it's a crazy PA system that chooses to share its sound with the select few and as for Mike Lewis telling us about a quiz up the BAWA... Forget it.

Is it better, is it worse? Not for me to decide.

Best off doing as I do and take your seat at 2:59pm and miss all the confected nonsense. And leave at 4:40pm when we're 3-0 down.