IGNORED

free kicks to replace throw ins?

If its the same as what Wenger originally proposed to trialed then its not actually as clear cut as the thread title. The idea was to stop time wasting by giving the option of a kick in instead of a throw if taken within 5-10 seconds. It wasn't actually to get rid of throw-ins altogether, just incentivise getting the game moving quicker. If kick is blocked by the opposition it becomes and actual free-kick. I'm not sure its an area that needs to be changed or that I like the idea (would a team trying to time waste actually care?), but throw-ins are kind of the modern equivalent of passing back to the keeper, and that change did improve things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBW said:

First Arsene Wenger wanted the World Cup every two years, now he wants kick-ins. What ever next?

Drop back keepers and jumpers for goal posts?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

If its the same as what Wenger originally proposed to trialed then its not actually as clear cut as the thread title. The idea was to stop time wasting by giving the option of a kick in instead of a throw if taken within 5-10 seconds. It wasn't actually to get rid of throw-ins altogether, just incentivise getting the game moving quicker. If kick is blocked by the opposition it becomes and actual free-kick. I'm not sure its an area that needs to be changed or that I like the idea (would a team trying to time waste actually care?), but throw-ins are kind of the modern equivalent of passing back to the keeper, and that change did improve things.

I'm not too sure it did really. Usually when the ball was passed back to the keeper he picked it up and then booted it down field keeping the game moving. Now despite the ball being within playing distance they try to block a player from getting to it from about 30 yards out until its slow rolled over the touchline or goal line. At one time that would have been a clear indirect free kick for obstruction. 

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not too sure it did really. Usually when the ball was passed back to the keeper he picked it up and then booted it down field keeping the game moving. Now despite the ball being within playing distance they try to block a player from getting to it from about 30 yards out until its slow rolled over the touchline or goal line. At one time that would have been a clear indirect free kick for obstruction. 

I don`t know, I remember the Liverpool back four passing it around and back to Clemence for what seemed like hours when they were one up particularly in Europe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

“The target is to make the game more spectacular and quicker”

More American then, in other words 

You think that Baseball and Wimpball (alternatively known as American football) are more spectacular and quicker! 20 seconds of action followed by a minute of inaction to reset everything is less exciting than watching paint dry. 

52 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It was played back to the Keeper who waited until he was challenged - then he picked it up and looked at options and then booted up field. It also saw the rise of the sweeper keeper and whole new tactical styles. 

• Like 1

Seriously frustrating, taking a core rule and element of football out the equation is mad. The throw-in has been a historic part of the game and you only need to look at the liverpool throw-in coach to know it's a complex part of football to those who actually watch the game, as oppose to the 'american soccer fan' who'll tune in to the world cup semi's and tweet about how they should turn it to kick-ins.

It's for that extra pay-per-view in America rather than the working class season ticket holder and it's ruining football. What a spineless group of mugs run a game loved by so many.

8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You think that Baseball and Wimpball (alternatively known as American football) are more spectacular and quicker! 20 seconds of action followed by a minute of inaction to reset everything is less exciting than watching paint dry. 

I assume you don't actually watch the sport :laugh: Despite wearing pads (in fact mainly because they wear pads), some of the hits are absolutely brutal.

6 hours ago, RedNachos said:

Seriously frustrating, taking a core rule and element of football out the equation is mad. The throw-in has been a historic part of the game and you only need to look at the liverpool throw-in coach to know it's a complex part of football to those who actually watch the game, as oppose to the 'american soccer fan' who'll tune in to the world cup semi's and tweet about how they should turn it to kick-ins.

It's for that extra pay-per-view in America rather than the working class season ticket holder and it's ruining football. What a spineless group of mugs run a game loved by so many.

I'm no hockey fan, but think I'm right in saying that the bully off to start the game and rolling the ball in when it went out of play were equally historic parts of that game.

However, both have been confined to history.

Those of my age will remember the proper tackle as an equally historic part of the game, but that is now re-classified as a foul and more than often attracts a yellow, and sometimes a red, card!

It just feels like those people on committees , feeling like they have to justify their wage by making change for change sake.

They could spend their time better by clamping down on keepers spending an age on a goal kick, that will only be lumped down the middle anyway. And if they were so intent in speeding the game up (even more), was allowing the defenders in the area to accept a short goal kick ? How many times have you seen the keeper debating whether to use the short pass, only to decide it's not worth it and start the process of getting ready for a long kick all over again.

This kick in was suggested years ago, I'm sure. Should be confined to the bin along with World Cups every 2 years.

4 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

I assume you don't actually watch the sport :laugh: Despite wearing pads (in fact mainly because they wear pads), some of the hits are absolutely brutal.

I have watched the sport but I lose interest after a guy goes to the locker room with pain having broken a finger nail after the drugs wore off.