IGNORED

Gareth Southgate requests no big(SIX) clash's prior to World cup

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

A bit late,I would have thought the clubs would have been told their fixture lists by now,as the fixtures will be released at 09:00am on Thursday 16 June 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1624422/England-boss-Gareth-Southgate-FA-Premier-League-World-Cup

Well if we had a sensibly run league they would move that weekend's games forward to a Carabao cup midweek for all divisions and play the Carabao cup games on that weekend. Virtually all squad members won't normally play 3rd or 4th round of the Carabao cup.

That would allow Southgate to get the squad together 2 or 3 days earlier with less worries about last minute injuries.

They won't though because of Sky and international TV.

Surprise, surprise, the first few paragraphs mention burn out and tiredness. If Southgate was that worried about tiredness and burn out he should have played a weakened squad during these 4 pointless Internationals and given all the Senior players an extra 3 weeks rest / holiday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

10 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

A bit late,I would have thought the clubs would have been told their fixture lists by now,as the fixtures will be released at 09:00am on Thursday 16 June 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1624422/England-boss-Gareth-Southgate-FA-Premier-League-World-Cup

It doesnt say when the FA asked, just confirmed that they had

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Surprise, surprise, the first few paragraphs mention burn out and tiredness. If Southgate was that worried about tiredness and burn out he should have played a weakened squad during these 4 pointless Internationals and given all the Senior players an extra 3 weeks rest / holiday.

Or you could read what he said:

We’d have a preference for none of those big games but to be honest the difference it's going to make is fairly marginal. But it could help us with perhaps a medical report if a team played Saturday it would give us an extra day to assess.

He hasn't specifically said anything about tiredness or burn out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Or you could read what he said:

We’d have a preference for none of those big games but to be honest the difference it's going to make is fairly marginal. But it could help us with perhaps a medical report if a team played Saturday it would give us an extra day to assess.

He hasn't specifically said anything about tiredness or burn out

I didn't say that he did. I said the article mentions...... In my next line I (wrongly) made an assumption but did not quote Southgate. I still stand by my opinion that he should have been thinking ahead to the busy schedule between August and November and left key players out of the squad for what imo are 4 pointless games.

Edited by Sir Geoff
bolded text
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Interesting but fair ask.

Do not some country's in the past suspend there League programmes leading up to a world cup .

I would prefer the season does not start until after the world cup.

What comes first, country or club

Just not opinion of course

Sits, with tin hat on 

Club all day long for most I would think when it comes to football,it’s personal 

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I didn't say that he did. I said the article mentions...... In my next line I (wrongly) made an assumption but did not quote Southgate. I still stand by my opinion that he should have been thinking ahead to the busy schedule between August and November and left key players out of the squad for what imo are 4 pointless games.

Totally.  Any player at the euro who's played through the season should've been left out. Play the understudies like Wales did at home to Holland in the same competition