IGNORED

MLS TV rights.

Bristol Rob

Just now, CyderInACan said:

Doesn’t being on Apple TV mean hardly anyone will ever see it!?

Worldwide righs. but the main audience will be US based. It's a new service which currnetly has zero subscribers :) so will be interesting to see how they market this outside of the US. It's all games all the time with no local blackouts. I bet the price compares very favourably against our options for just watching streaming City matches.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I am.  Even if just for the free games and highlights stuff.

MLS is a band 4 league for GBE (Work Permit) and means there might be the odd nugget to look out for.

Chelsea are being linked with an 18 year old keeper with Chicago Fire & Leeds with a New York City striker, I think it is a far better standard of late & because of their salary cap, the wages are rarely a problem.

Definitely a league we should keep an eye on, a fair few Americans (& Canadians) have done well over here & there is no language barrier, either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Chelsea are being linked with an 18 year old keeper with Chicago Fire & Leeds with a New York City striker, I think it is a far better standard of late & because of their salary cap, the wages are rarely a problem.

Definitely a league we should keep an eye on, a fair few Americans (& Canadians) have done well over here & there is no language barrier, either.

Cyle Larin (Orlando / Canada) hasn’t had a bad time in Turkey and Belgium.  24 international goals too.  Was someone I always thought could’ve easily transitioned to the Championship.

On 14/06/2022 at 18:48, Sleepy1968 said:

Worldwide righs. but the main audience will be US based. It's a new service which currnetly has zero subscribers :) so will be interesting to see how they market this outside of the US. It's all games all the time with no local blackouts. I bet the price compares very favourably against our options for just watching streaming City matches.

I've been a subscriber to Apple TV+ since launch, but pay for it bundled in with other Apple services like their Fitness thing and Music streaming. I doubt they'll bother marketing it too much outside of the US, except to help boost the wider offering (ie. we have amazing tv series, movies and sport). I'll be interested in how they present it and what the coverage is like. 

• Like 4

This should be quite interesting. I find the MLS quite entertaining, it's not a particularly great league but having the odd star player in there certainly makes the games more open and flowing, I don't think I've ever seen a bad MLS match come to think of it. The interesting thing here is that the TV deal is not far off triple the previous offering, so the standard should pick up with the money coming in. Intrigued to see what happens here.

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

Brings it out of deeefence, oh lookout going downtown.. and it's Chad Rawlings the third with his patented head flick into the goal zone.

Into the secondary, and here's the overpass. Hell no! Unecessary roughness on the offensive lineman and there's an instant flag on the play! Sweet mother of god.

14 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Into the secondary, and here's the overpass. Hell no! Unecessary roughness on the offensive lineman and there's an instant flag on the play! Sweet mother of god.

I think they've used the correct terminology for a good few years now, so this is a bit unfair :) I suppose the more games they have to cover simultaneously the more chance they'll have of reaching the RobinsTV gold standard of commentating competence.

14 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

10 years seems crazy

$2.5billion over 10 years, 250 per year compared to less than 100 now, seems a no brainer now, be interesting to see the value of that in 5-10 years 

with that level of money coming into MLS will only feed the Messi rumours 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think they've used the correct terminology for a good few years now, so this is a bit unfair :) I suppose the more games they have to cover simultaneously the more chance they'll have of reaching the RobinsTV gold standard of commentating competence.

You're right, but it's fun to quote euphemisms from American Football.