IGNORED

England v Hngary

22A

The reality is Southgate has the best record of any England manager 1966 and, whilst it is easy to talk about easy tournament paths, we’ve messed up easier paths than Southgate navigated. 

However all managers have a sell by date. Robson left at the right moment whereas Sven would have been remembered far more positively had he gone in 2004 rather than stayed to 2006.

I am starting to think Southgate’s moment has peaked and he will move on after 2022 but he deserves a lot of credit for what he has done so far.

In terms of @Davefevs’ comment about the players not being as good as we hoped, I think the jury is out for me but certainly we have a lot less attacking players in form than we did a year ago. Greenwood is obviously out, Grealish, Rashford and Sancho are struggling for form and the fact Southgate has brought Sterling on to play alongside Kane shows the amount we are relying on two forwards at the moment. Even if Southgate went, we’d be left with a manager trying to get a tune out of a lot of out of form players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Championship was his level really. I'm not sure what the fuss is about Bellingham either. He may be an impressive athlete for his age but what does he contribute? A bit like Sancho, only ever done anything in the German league. 

Bowen was outstanding in the PL this season 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

England fans singing about Hungary fans being racist during their national anthem is as good as this will get.  Southgate will hopefully learn a lot about what Harry Kane can do tonight 

What do you mean?

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The reality is Southgate has the best record of any England manager 1966 and, whilst it is easy to talk about easy tournament paths, we’ve messed up easier paths than Southgate navigated. 

However all managers have a sell by date. Robson left at the right moment whereas Sven would have been remembered far more positively had he gone in 2004 rather than stayed to 2006.

I am starting to think Southgate’s moment has peaked and he will move on after 2022 but he deserves a lot of credit for what he has done so far.

In terms of @Davefevs’ comment about the players not being as good as we hoped, I think the jury is out for me but certainly we have a lot less attacking players in form than we did a year ago. Greenwood is obviously out, Grealish, Rashford and Sancho are struggling for form and the fact Southgate has brought Sterling on to play alongside Kane shows the amount we are relying on two forwards at the moment. Even if Southgate went, we’d be left with a manager trying to get a tune out of a lot of out of form players.

I’m talking generally, not just at this moment.

Dont get me wrong, they are all good players, but Kane is our only world class player…because he is a world class finisher, the rest of his game isn’t at the level of his finishing…but we need someone to put the ball in the net.

I see how Bale and Ramsey massively lift a well organised Wales team, and wish we had them in their prime.

I do think we have some tactical / structural issues but I don’t necessarily blame it on Southgate.  We are a team capable of going into the latter stages of tournaments so it’s nowhere near as bad as people make out.  My expectations are lower, and I actually wish we played a bit more like the underdog, than play with superiority when we aren’t superior (if that makes sense?j.

Ah well, here comes Foden.

I don’t have the answers.  I’m not too fussed about this set of fixtures (after a hard season) either.  I do think Southgate is at his best when he’s managed to create a club squad within the England set up.

Wittering over! ?

• Like 1

Dreary me - you are going to get pelters Southgate , deserved or not

Not sure how he will react to it

You can make all the excuses you like but we look like 11 players just thrown out there - no real cohesive plan

Theyve had the core of these players in numerous get together and for fixtures now - it doesn’t look like it

Starting to look like LJ 2 yrs in

Some failing auditions for some

Edited by Sheltons Army

So many players just not at the races …. James, Phillips, Saka, Bowen, Ramsdale at least and I hate to say it but the defence have looked a shambles without Harry MaGuire and I thought it would be more fluid when he wasn’t in the team.

As has been posted before - clear to see who won’t be on the plane!!

8 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Over the last three or four games the only creativity has come from Grealish and Southgate doesn’t seem to want to give him a go from the start.

Where has the midfield gone??

Phillips and rice against hungary are about as likely to score as i am. Mount and saka have huge reputations but i cant remember either having a good game for england. Kane is a world class striker and Sterling is very good, but defence and midfield are so over rated, and a manager who doesnt want to take the reins off and actually attack.

Got a feeling this might be Southgate's last game in charge. We are going to be relegated from this group and it could see us no longer seeded in competitions unless we win out last two games in September. We've looked disjointed and poor and we have been poor for a while now. Southgate has done well, but I think its time for a change now. These 4 games lately have been awful. We've gone from being free scoring and looking accomplished, to looking like a team that would struggle to beat two of the three home nations at present!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Very poor by England.

Perhaps only defence is  that the players have played too much football

On the evidence of tonight there is no plan B and the lack of ball skills in English game is exposed again at international stage.

None of trialists have done anything. At least Southgate knows not to select them again.

• Hmmm 1