IGNORED

England v Hngary

22A

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I give up , try reading it again - he needs decent results in the two remaining NL games and a very decent WC or he’s toast (And I THINK HE WILL END UP WALKING AFTER THE WC) 

My apologies.

• Like 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Yep, but our useless manager kept him on the bench all night while practically every other midfielder/striker played some part

The simple answer is he knows what Grealish brings to the team so didn't need to ha a look at him tonight 

The others were playing for their places 

• Like 4

Well today shows GS wont be changing the team or formation that much .Today he tried to see if we could play the 4-3-3  starting with only Kane, Saka, Walker,Phillips and Stones that actually heavily featured in the Euros. 

This was the team that started against Italy in the final.

Starting line-up: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Rice, Phillips, Shaw; Mount, Sterling; Kane

It shows that under GS we work  best with the 3-5-2  formation ,the importance being on core players Like Maguire, Rice ,Sterling and Kane needing to be in the team and show we will struggle if they do get injured.

Players on the fringes who have had good seasons in premier league. haven't done a great deal to prove yet I think Only Rams dale has a chance to break into the  team although Pickford has always played well for England.

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh I see what you mean

Only if Southgate actually hoped to win this match and has so few other alternatives. It can hardly be because he needs to see how Kane plays for England.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Not gonna too worked up about tonight.  Shit happens! ?

Sure did tonight! ?

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

The simple answer is he knows what Grealish brings to the team so didn't need to ha a look at him tonight 

The others were playing for their places 

Thats not a simple answer. With Mr Southgate in plate spinning mode, changing systems and at one point playing two eights was a time to see how Grealish performed with Foden. 

Englands key performace indicators of high possession but low chance creation need to be changed. Englands results were not going to continue in the same form, and have not. Possession of 60 -70% without chance creation becomes possession for possession sake.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

How is that a problem?

Problem is, and again, in no way anti-England, at the last WC it was a relatively easy run until the semi’ s then along come Croatia, go one up then what happens? Sit on a lead.

The Euros, similar story, relatively easy ride, OK Germany, but a team in decline, get to the final, go 1-0 then sit on that with the inevitable end result.

Will Quatar be any different? Probably not. Southgate is way way too negative but, he is a ‘company man’, he will survive, if he wants to, regardless of the WC result.

Apparently, at some point, he wants to get back into club football. Which top level side would touch him? Been lots of vacancies at that level since he took over England and he is never ever mentioned as a candidate.

Take from that what you will.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not gonna too worked up about tonight.  Shit happens! ?

There’s been some weird results especially for the bigger nations in this ridiculous end of season international schedule.

I wouldn’t read that much into these results and performances, across the board. The players don’t give a shit and just want to go on their holidays, De Bruyne practicality said as much the other day.

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Problem is, and again, in no way anti-England, at the last WC it was a relatively easy run until the semi’ s then along come Croatia, go one up then what happens? Sit on a lead.

The Euros, similar story, relatively easy ride, OK Germany, but a team in decline, get to the final, go 1-0 then sit on that with the inevitable end result.

Will Quatar be any different? Probably not. Southgate is way way too negative but, he is a ‘company man’, he will survive, if he wants to, regardless of the WC result.

Apparently, at some point, he wants to get back into club football. Which top level side would touch him? Been lots of vacancies at that level since he took over England and he is never ever mentioned as a candidate.

He has flaws for sure. I’m not having this narrative that he’s gotten a team to a semi final and final is down to a easy run. People always forget what came before Southgate. Limping to a quarter final and often losing or bore draws against giants like Algeria and Iceland.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

He has flaws for sure. I’m not having this narrative that he’s gotten a team to a semi final and final is down to a easy run. People always forget what came before Southgate. Limping to a quarter final and often losing or bore draws against giants like Algeria and Iceland.

Which is all fair comment.

But maybe the managers in charge then were even worse than Southgate OR, did not have the full breadth of talent available that, nobody argues, he certainly does.

I’m torn here. Never been a Southgate fan. Didn’t deserve the job, plays a poor standard of football and my word doesn’t make the most of what could be considered a fairly golden generation. But… he’s done well so far. 

We won’t win with him at the helm, but at the same time he’s done too well to be sacked.

Remember when Southampton did really really well under Adkins (I think) and then they really really harshly sacked him and everybody thought it was silly. I feel like that’s where we’re at with GS. But the FA won’t be as ruthless as Saints were. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

People say it’s an easy run but they must have beaten the better teams somewhere down the line - I don’t get why people say that, it’s all about form 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

As i said previously this must surely be the beginning of the end for Southgate. He peaked last summer for me and must go after qatar barring an absolute miracle.

I will just say though before the English public and press slaughter him that a fair bit of respect must be put on Southgates name  IMO. First manager to get us to a final since 66 and the first WC semi-final since 90 is not to be sniffed at.

So do you support him or not? as this post is running with the hares and hunting with the hounds.

• Like 1

The thing I'd criticise Southgate for is that he didn't just play a shadow squad and rest the players who needed a rest.

Likes of Kane, Sterling,  Mount, Rice, Saka, Maguire, Walker and even Pickford did not need to play any of these games. Even  Alexander Arnold and Foden should've been sent on holiday and told to have a proper pre-season.

The likes of Phillips, Trippier, James, Grealish, Coady, Abraham, Bellingham should've been the main players for this with others like JWP, Timori, Bowen and a few others given more gametime. 

It would've been better in the short, medium and long term.  He's messed up strategically with his planning.

My concern is a lot of our main players will pick up injuries early in the season simply because of fatigue and others will arrive at a very condensed tournament tired and not at their best. 

If I were an EPL manager I'd particularly be looking at Italians, Hungarians, Norwegians, Swedes, Ukrainians, Egyptians to sign. Any country not at the World cup basically because those who do make it are likely to be spent 2nd half of the season. The others will have had a lovely break.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The thing I'd criticise Southgate for is that he didn't just play a shadow squad and rest the players who needed a rest.

Likes of Kane, Sterling,  Mount, Rice, Saka, Maguire, Walker and even Pickford did not need to play any of these games. Even  Alexander Arnold and Foden should've been sent on holiday and told to have a proper pre-season.

The likes of Phillips, Trippier, James, Grealish, Coady, Abraham, Bellingham should've been the main players for this with others like JWP, Timori, Bowen and a few others given more gametime. 

It would've been better in the short, medium and long term.  He's messed up strategically with his planning.

My concern is a lot of our main players will pick up injuries early in the season simply because of fatigue and others will arrive at a very condensed tournament tired and not at their best. 

If I were an EPL manager I'd particularly be looking at Italians, Hungarians, Norwegians, Swedes, Ukrainians, Egyptians to sign. Any country not at the World cup basically because those who do make it are likely to be spent 2nd half of the season. The others will have had a lovely break.

Many countries will only be playing 3,maybe 4 maybe 5 games 

Not going to impact on anyone that greatly 

What will be interesting and I don't know the answer is what clubs will do during the world cup break. There's no way they won't play games as players will lose sharpness etc

56 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Southgate got educated himself in these two games against Hungary. Incredibly patronising when he said that at the start of the nations league. 

Incredibly patronising of him to tell other people what to think and it's kind of ironic that Hungary are the ones to have humbled him

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Many countries will only be playing 3,maybe 4 maybe 5 games 

Not going to impact on anyone that greatly 

What will be interesting and I don't know the answer is what clubs will do during the world cup break. There's no way they won't play games as players will lose sharpness etc

I woud guess Phants , a chance to do some intensive work on training ground , probably then give them a few days / a week off , before a mini pre season