IGNORED

Historic Pub Interiors

exAtyeoMax

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61797983

It does make me sad when I see a pub converted to a supermarket or flats, or ripped out and renovated.

I used to go hang out in Bath (late 80s - early 00s) and most of the pubs in the city centre then, were scruffy with their own unique character. It's a real shame that particular vibe has disappeared. *Many of those pubs have been "Farrow & Balled" with their dark wood panelling painted cream and turned into a gastropub. 

*Apart from The Bell in Walcot Street, of course.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It does make me sad when I see a pub converted to a supermarket or flats, or ripped out and renovated.

I used to go hang out in Bath (late 80s - early 00s) and most of the pubs in the city centre then, were scruffy with their own unique character. It's a real shame that particular vibe has disappeared. *Many of those pubs have been "Farrow & Balled" with their dark wood panelling painted cream and turned into a gastropub. 

Used to like the old Hat & Feathers in Walcott St.  Some real characters there, not all of whom you'd want to meet more than once!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Used to like the old Hat & Feathers in Walcott St.  Some real characters there, not all of whom you'd want to meet more than once!

I did too!

I remember going in there for the first time, as a 17 year old when it was a biker pub, I was terrified! 

Used to go in there quite a bit, until they changed it.

• Like 1

Looking at that list I realised I'd been in the one in Preston a few years ago, I actually don't remember the interior standing out that much.

• Like 1

I really like the Coach & Horses in Soho. Quite a famous pub with its links to journalists (Private Eye & Jeffery Bernard), actors and rock stars. 

I had no idea it was famous when I went in with a friend on a Sunday afternoon, just thought "this is nice!"  I think London has some great pubs.

https://www.coachandhorsessoho.pub/gallery

1 hour ago, Offside said:

The King’s Head on Victoria St had a wonderful interior. Sadly it’s not been open since the first lockdown. 

That's a shame, I used to work near there and much preferred it to the Cornubia and Shakespeare.

Here's a 1976 review of the place.

HSmnTMF.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Not all pubs closing are bad pubs; some are good pubs with one bad landlord/manager, or have just suffered one bit of bad luck. Pubs are marginal businesses these days, it doesn't take much to push them into losses and everyone knows the bricks-and-mortar is worth more than the pub business, in most cases.

Pubs that have existed for centuries need just one indifferent or greedy owner these days to kill them off for good. One I used to drink in had been a tavern since the 16th Century, survived wars, forced closures and all sorts of economic depredations, but when one owner a decade ago decided he wasn't interested in making a go of it and wasn't fussed about preserving a village's heritage, it was gone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not all pubs closing are bad pubs; some are good pubs with one bad landlord/manager, or have just suffered one bit of bad luck. Pubs are marginal businesses these days, it doesn't take much to push them into losses and everyone knows the bricks-and-mortar is worth more than the pub business, in most cases.

Pubs that have existed for centuries need just one indifferent or greedy owner these days to kill them off for good. One I used to drink in had been a tavern since the 16th Century, survived wars, forced closures and all sorts of economic depredations, but when one owner a decade ago decided he wasn't interested in making a go of it and wasn't fussed about preserving a village's heritage, it was gone.

Sad, isn't it. Quite common, I think. 

I've got a Bristol Pubs poster from mid 90s, some great pubs on there now sadly gone.

My friend Alan, I used to work with, seemed to know every pub in Bristol. Anytime you'd mention an area of Bristol or a specific street, he'd regale some story about his visit to a pub there…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My friend Alan, I used to work with, seemed to know every pub in Bristol. Anytime you'd mention an area of Bristol or a specific street, he'd regale some story about his visit to a pub there…

Bit like the old days Max when I used to play darts on a Monday with Smurf, @Arthur Daley @NcnsBcfc @Orbital  etc - we'd covered pretty much all of East Bristol over the years we were playing (mostly in shocking boozers, mind, but most of them had a certain charm or a story) 

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Bit like the old days Max when I used to play darts on a Monday with Smurf, @Arthur Daley @NcnsBcfc @Orbital  etc - we'd covered pretty much all of East Bristol over the years we were playing (mostly in shocking boozers, mind) 

I bet some of those were terrifying! :shocking:

I thought you were going to mention The Stars? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offside said:

The King’s Head on Victoria St had a wonderful interior. Sadly it’s not been open since the first lockdown. 

45 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

That's a shame, I used to work near there and much preferred it to the Cornubia and Shakespeare.

Here's a 1976 review of the place.

HSmnTMF.jpg

Not sure the age of the article, but it's up for sale!

image.png.03aeef82afb1d7a16aebcd62fce6a7e8.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

You used to be able to buy plenty of other "items" other than alcohol in that pub if you were that way inclined, sold more mushrooms than most fruit and veg shops !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sad, isn't it. Quite common, I think. 

I've got a Bristol Pubs poster from mid 90s, some great pubs on there now sadly gone.

I was very impressed as a young man that the father of my then-fiancée was able to navigate his way around, seemingly, the entire West Country by pub.  Ask him for directions anywhere and it was all "Turn right at the Red Lion then about a mile on there's a turning just after the Farmers Arms, then join the main road until you go about 100 yards past the White Horse... " etc etc. 

• Like 2

• Admin
8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The Old Green Tree still survives as a ‘proper’ pub.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was very impressed as a young man that the father of my then-fiancée was able to navigate his way around, seemingly, the entire West Country by pub.  Ask him for directions anywhere and it was all "Turn right at the Red Lion then about a mile on there's a turning just after the Farmers Arms, then join the main road until you go about 100 yards past the White Horse... " etc etc. 

But could he find his way home afterwards? ?

• Haha 3

I remember the Volley as a youth with a number of different bars on different floors which I liked. When my daughter was at UWE I took her and was disappointed to see what had become of it.

@exAtyeoMax I agree about London there are a lot of nice old pubs. One I have been meaning to visit is The Blackfriar (unsurprisingly at Blackfriars!) - have you been?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

I remember the Volley as a youth with a number of different bars on different floors which I liked. When my daughter was at UWE I took her and was disappointed to see what had become of it.

@exAtyeoMax I agree about London there are a lot of nice old pubs. One I have been meaning to visit is The Blackfriar (unsurprisingly at Blackfriars!) - have you been?

I've been to the Blackfriar...cracking boozer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

No, don't think so. I was down near there last week…

50 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Wow! The interior looks fab.

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/41

Edited by exAtyeoMax

58 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The Haunch of Venison in Salisbury is a pub with an interior a history nut like me can't help but love. Basically, small bars, uneven floors and room dimensions, virtually unchanged since the 14th century.

Seem to recall a pub in Salisbury called The Bucket Of Blood which sounds very similar. Fantastic building. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The Haunch of Venison in Salisbury is a pub with an interior a history nut like me can't help but love. Basically, small bars, uneven floors and room dimensions, virtually unchanged since the 14th century.

Sounds fab. I always think the Llandoger should be so much better, considering it’s history. I think it was part of a hotel chain but not sure who owns it now.