IGNORED

Historic Pub Interiors

exAtyeoMax

19 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Sad, isn't it. Quite common, I think. 

I've got a Bristol Pubs poster from mid 90s, some great pubs on there now sadly gone.

My friend Alan, I used to work with, seemed to know every pub in Bristol. Anytime you'd mention an area of Bristol or a specific street, he'd regale some story about his visit to a pub there…

In the world before sat-navs, pubs and football pitches were my map of Bristol. Could get almost anywhere using these for guidance.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

Seem to recall a pub in Salisbury called The Bucket Of Blood which sounds very similar. Fantastic building. 

Dunno that one, but the Haunch - which is just off the main Market Square - is well worth a visit. It's a boozer's pub, but they have a restaurant upstairs for food. Not cheap, but worth paying for if you fancy a nice meal. Check the gallery section on its website.

http://haunchpub.co.uk/

23 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61797983

It does make me sad when I see a pub converted to a supermarket or flats, or ripped out and renovated.

I used to go hang out in Bath (late 80s - early 00s) and most of the pubs in the city centre then, were scruffy with their own unique character. It's a real shame that particular vibe has disappeared. *Many of those pubs have been "Farrow & Balled" with their dark wood panelling painted cream and turned into a gastropub. 

*Apart from The Bell in Walcot Street, of course.

How about this exterior of a pub in OZ.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, City oz said:

How about this exterior of a pub in OZ.

See the source image

Surprised you didn't mention the Guildford Hotel in Swan Valley.

Amazing refurbishment retaining some of the chared remains from the fire that destroyed it. Certainly worth a visit for anyone visiting Perth.??

• Like 1

On 15/06/2022 at 12:52, Midred said:

I used to love the Tudor Tavern in Taunton, very oldie worldie. The upstairs bar always a interesting after a drink. There was quite a slope towards the front window which was ok going in but something of a challenge coming out!

I used to love the Hangman's bar and I remember that floor well ... And the stairs to get there!

I'd recommend anyone traveling down Exeter way to visit the Bridge Inn at Topsham (featured in that BBC article).  It is a truly unique place and was the 1st pub ever visited by our Queen. The beer's good too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1