IGNORED

No Pyro No City

CyderInACan

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/five-bristol-football-fans-banned-7212434

Good to see that this nonsense is being clamped down on, as well as obviously the more serious instances in the article. 

(or if you don't want to click on the Post's site this is the bit I'm referring to) . . . 

Bristol City v Middlesbrough – 19 February 2022

A man caught trying to ignite a smoke device among home supporters after Bristol City scored has received a three-year football banning order.

Spencer Pettifor, of Stiling Close in Highbridge, pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a pyrotechnic under the Sporting Events Act and he was sentenced on Wednesday, June 8.

The 31-year-old also will have to carry out 80 hours of unpaid work as part of a 12-month community order and must pay a total of £180 in costs and a fine.

D'oh - should've posted in Football Chat @TomF can you move? 

Yet at the Liam Gallagher gigs recently, one of which was inside the Etihad, there were countless smoke flares/pyros going off throughout and there was no issue at all with this.  

Why are pyros not allowed in a football ground when football is on but they are allowed in a football ground for a concert?  Surely H&S is the same regardless of event?

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Yet at the Liam Gallagher gigs recently, one of which was inside the Etihad, there were countless smoke flares/pyros going off throughout and there was no issue at all with this.  

Why are pyros not allowed in a football ground when football is on but they are allowed in a football ground for a concert?  Surely H&S is the same regardless of event?

Are they actually allowed at concerts, or is it just a case that people took them in and they didn't get discovered in advance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Are they actually allowed at concerts, or is it just a case that people took them in and they didn't get discovered in advance.

The point being i highly doubt that there is an ongoing manhunt by the plod to catch the individuals that let them off at concerts..

I may be wrong on that and if anyone has any examples of people being prosecuted for letting off pyro’s at concerts then i stand to be corrected but i get a feeling that once again its football fans being demonised by the authorities.

Glastonbury next week will be another mass event where you will see countless pyros being used.

My own personal view is Pyro’s always add an extra bit to the atmosphere - you only have to look at every country in continental Europe to see that. As previously said though this is just yet another stick to beat us football fans with IMO and has very little to do with H&S.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Depends if it is controlled by experts in a controlled environment or idiots pissed in a close area where there is danger to those in close proximity 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Some of our fans are incapable of drinking a bottle of coke without feeling the need to lob it at opposition players, so I'm glad they're not allowed flares - even though they can look great when used sensibly/properly.

I expect if fans at concerts were repeatedly chucking them on stage, at each other, or into any disabled sections they'd get banned there too pretty quickly (if they aren't already,I don't know).

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Some of our fans are incapable of drinking a bottle of coke without feeling the need to lob it at opposition players, so I'm glad they're not allowed flares - even though they can look great when used sensibly/properly.

I expect if fans at concerts were repeatedly chucking them on stage, at each other, or into any disabled sections they'd get banned there too pretty quickly (if they aren't already,I don't know).

From my limited gig experiences, flares seem to be held by the person, rather than lobbed.  Not saying that’s better, just different mentaility.

Personally I love the smell of pyro, but I also used to like the smell of petrol as a kid too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

From my limited gig experiences, flares seem to be held by the person, rather than lobbed.  Not saying that’s better, just different mentaility.

Personally I love the smell of pyro, but I also used to like the smell of petrol as a kid too.

That's my experience too - except at Reading festival about 15 years ago when 50 cent got anything people could lay their hands on chucked at him until he left the stage, meaning Green Day did an extended set!

I like the smell as well, and think it looks great... If people can use it sensibly.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bris red said:

The point being i highly doubt that there is an ongoing manhunt by the plod to catch the individuals that let them off at concerts..

I may be wrong on that and if anyone has any examples of people being prosecuted for letting off pyro’s at concerts then i stand to be corrected but i get a feeling that once again its football fans being demonised by the authorities.

Glastonbury next week will be another mass event where you will see countless pyros being used.

My own personal view is Pyro’s always add an extra bit to the atmosphere - you only have to look at every country in continental Europe to see that. As previously said though this is just yet another stick to beat us football fans with IMO and has very little to do with H&S.

It affects some people's breathing and is dangerous that's why they are banned. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I used to love the smell of caps (not the headwear) 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

It affects some people's breathing and is dangerous that's why they are banned. 

Exactly this. It's selfish in the extreme. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do they get lobbed because if you get caught with one you get a 3 year ban, whereas if that wasn’t the punishment you might just keep hold of it?

• Like 2