IGNORED

Alex Scott

bcfc01

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Putting it simply, he looks incredibly comfortable at this level, which is no surprise after the season he's had.

Hopefully still with us next season and he gets an u21 call up.

The u20 World Cup coming up if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

Having watched the 3 games it seems to me that Scotty and Chucky are the main players but the team isn't really built to get the most out of them.   I get that it's age group football and it's about development but Scott has played about 4 different positions in less than 2 games. They would do better with 1 bone fide holding midfielder with Scotty and Chucky as 2 8s and 2 up front.  

3 5 2 basically. 

37 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nige will be watching this from behind the sofa with the number of tackles going in on Scott.

I bet (inwardly) he detests Scott’s low socks and children’s shin pads a la Grealish !

Never quite got this - anyone aware of Grealish or another Giving a decent explanation why ?

• Like 2

On 23/06/2022 at 16:52, Port Said Red said:

I haven't heard this before, but I know that Sir Stanley Matthews said he used to train with weights in his socks which he felt helped strengthen his calves, and had the psychological advantage that he felt that little bit lighter on match days. He played until he was 50 so often makes me wonder whether others have tried it, and if not, why not?

I thought the great man played up to the age of 80 and was still regularly playing in Malta at the time he was sadly killed in a motor accident????

not googled it so might be wrong………

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

How does Alex compare with players in the past few years in terms of age group appearances/minutes played etc.? Compared to someone like Phil Foden say?

I think what sets him apart from most of them is the amount of first team football he's had. You can see the maturity in his way of playing. Of course they're all very technically great for their age, but decision making gives AS the edge over a few of them. I can't speak for what Phil foden was like for u19s, but Scott is definitely up there in the current squad. 

Edited by P'head Red
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

How does Alex compare with players in the past few years in terms of age group appearances/minutes played etc.? Compared to someone like Phil Foden say?

Scott is a fantastic player for his age but he's not Phil Foden. I would imagine he's played more minutes at this age group if I had to guess simply because Foden never needed to hang around the England Under 19's. He was too good for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I think what sets him apart from most of them is the amount of first team football he's had. You can see the maturity in his way of playing. Of course they're all very technically great for their age, but decision making gives AS the edge over a few of them. I can't speak for what Phil foden was like for u19s, but Scott is definitely up there in the current squad. 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Scott is a fantastic player for his age but he's not Phil Foden. I would imagine he's played more minutes at this age group if I had to guess simply because Foden never needed to hang around the England Under 19's. He was too good for that.

Thanks. I don`t really follow the young England set up that much (apart from when Tammy was involved) but I`m really just trying to get a handle on his progress compared to other good players that have been produced over the years.

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed. Scott has great potential and will have a very very good career as long as he avoids the usual pitfalls.

Foden is however, different gravy and, potential pitfalls avoided ( just like Scott), will become one of the best players in the world IMHO.

Which makes it strange that Pep can see this but Gareth Southgate can’t.

If I was the England HC, Foden and Grealish start every game if available.

(Sorry to be clear, by usual pitfalls I mean mainly injury, but also too much too young syndrome).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Another decent game for our Alex.

Pity that off-side assist. Great tackle and pass.

If he’s still with us, will be interesting to see where Nige plays him. 

You make a great point... where will Nige play him?

I still think we've got some business to do yet, but i personally see him as an "all rounder" central midfielder. I'm not saying he's Steven Gerrard, but i think he's an all action dynamic midfielder. He's happy to get on the ball, has an eye for a pass, isn't afraid to get stuck in and can score a few goals.

I really hope he's still with us for this coming season and Nige has the courage to just let him play.

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I thought the great man played up to the age of 80 and was still regularly playing in Malta at the time he was sadly killed in a motor accident????

That’s a hell of a story……but doesn’t belong to Stanley Matthews, maybe someone though?!

Not sure who you had in mind as he retired from the professional game at 50, although he did play an exhibition game at 70 but done his cartilage (he said it was a promising career cut short by injury).

He died aged 85 whilst on holiday in Tenerife from an illness (not sure what).

I believe his last game was age 70 in Brazil. Unfortunately he damaged his cartilage and as he wrote in his autobiography 'A promising Career cut short'

• Haha 1

Second half was interesting.  Thought we got in behind them down the left, but Chucka who I thought was really good first half, either lost his discipline or tactics tweaked, but Scott ended up having to play on his own rather than a pair. We got stretched a bit as a result, but it showed that he dig in too, hold his position / discipline.

Good to hear the commentary team give Scott praise too.

I like Alfie Devine (Spurs) and Quansah (Liverpool) the Centre Back.

Norton-Cuffy who came on at RB is highly rated but think over-relies on his athleticism / page.  Doesn’t make his recovery runs and gets caught.

• Like 1