Jump to content
IGNORED

Alex Scott


bcfc01
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

The worry of course, after hearing about how the men's team all under performed due to burnout how much will we get out of Scott before he's overplayed into next season? 

Or will he treat the World Cup break as his off season? 

I'd expect him to perhaps just be used a bit lightly through our pre-season and built back up first few games of the season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent a very enjoyable 90 odd mins watching that and watching Scott like a hawk , imagining if I was reporting back to a potential suitor in the Premier League

Tried to watch for any positives and negatives

Getting the negatives out of the way they amounted to two very minor ones , the only ones I could even mention in the 90

Arguing with Lino and lucky not to get yellow , and one unnecessary ‘flick’ late on losing possession - the sum total of negatives in 90 mins

As for the positives , there were numerous , the obvious , his first touch , composure , use of the ball , his defensive work , Winning the ball , winning free kicks ....the list was tick tick tick ,and possibly what impressed me as much as any of the obvious , was his maturity and game intelligence and awareness without the ball , constantly on the move , adjusting his position, filling holes , blocking passing lanes , in a high block - so impressive for someone of that age , and when we had the ball , always looking to make an angle to receive the ball.

 

Id describe it personally as a very accomplished all round performance , and particularly for one his age

If you were desperately looking for any comment on his overall make up as a player , I can only suggest that he ideally would like an extra yard of pace, he’s certainly not slow , but compared to some he’s not blistering

It would help occasionally when he slips past somebody but he cant do much about that and compensates with his touch , opponent awareness and cleverness

Add to how easily he changed position in the game , and the trust in him to do so - He can literally play any role in middle of park , as a 10 , or wide in a three

I also think he has a real competitive edge to him , a bit of fire edging on ruthless if needed 

Another real tick for me

He even looks like he’s rolled out of a Manchester or Liverpool suburb , not Jersey

 

I really think his choice of destination when he departs is vital - I’d be totally looking for a side that are possession based 

 

Credit to the whole team , in their discipline and shape - very impressive , and bloody hell do we have some monsters coming through

Half The team were built like Linford Christie , as powerful , and nearly as quick , but with the technical ability of top end players - frightening

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

 

 

Id describe it personally as a very accomplished all round performance , and particularly for one his age

If you were desperately looking for any comment on his overall make up as a player , I can only suggest that he ideally would like an extra yard of pace, he’s certainly not slow , but compared to some he’s not blistering

It would help occasionally when he slips past somebody but he cant do much about that and compensates with his touch , opponent awareness and cleverness

 

Nice report. 

There is that story about the advice given to Harry Kane.  He may be able to get that extra yard of pace with work.  And he is still so young. 

image.png.b0f825cba2d19873692b66e31f6536c7.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sitrom said:

Nice report. 

There is that story about the advice given to Harry Kane.  He may be able to get that extra yard of pace with work.  And he is still so young. 

image.png.b0f825cba2d19873692b66e31f6536c7.png

I haven't heard this before, but I know that Sir Stanley Matthews said he used to train with weights in his socks which he felt helped strengthen his calves, and had the psychological advantage that he felt that little bit lighter on match days. He played until he was 50 so often makes me wonder whether others have tried it, and if not, why not?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes , of course , you can improve slightly / maximise what god gave you but he will never be blistering (That’s not a criticism) 

But maybe over that first few yards or feet. Dunno why I said yards. No idea what that is.  That boost of speed to move away from the oppo.  He has all the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Spent a very enjoyable 90 odd mins watching that and watching Scott like a hawk , imagining if I was reporting back to a potential suitor in the Premier League

Tried to watch for any positives and negatives

Getting the negatives out of the way they amounted to two very minor ones , the only ones I could even mention in the 90

Arguing with Lino and lucky not to get yellow , and one unnecessary ‘flick’ late on losing possession - the sum total of negatives in 90 mins

As for the positives , there were numerous , the obvious , his first touch , composure , use of the ball , his defensive work , Winning the ball , winning free kicks ....the list was tick tick tick ,and possibly what impressed me as much as any of the obvious , was his maturity and game intelligence and awareness without the ball , constantly on the move , adjusting his position, filling holes , blocking passing lanes , in a high block - so impressive for someone of that age , and when we had the ball , always looking to make an angle to receive the ball.

 

Id describe it personally as a very accomplished all round performance , and particularly for one his age

If you were desperately looking for any comment on his overall make up as a player , I can only suggest that he ideally would like an extra yard of pace, he’s certainly not slow , but compared to some he’s not blistering

It would help occasionally when he slips past somebody but he cant do much about that and compensates with his touch , opponent awareness and cleverness

Add to how easily he changed position in the game , and the trust in him to do so - He can literally play any role in middle of park , as a 10 , or wide in a three

I also think he has a real competitive edge to him , a bit of fire edging on ruthless if needed 

Another real tick for me

He even looks like he’s rolled out of a Manchester or Liverpool suburb , not Jersey

 

I really think his choice of destination when he departs is vital - I’d be totally looking for a side that are possession based 

 

Credit to the whole team , in their discipline and shape - very impressive , and bloody hell do we have some monsters coming through

Half The team were built like Linford Christie , as powerful , and nearly as quick , but with the technical ability of top end players - frightening

Did you spot the bit in the first half when Chucka broke forward.  Most players would have broken forward thinking about receiving a through ball later on.  Not Alex Scott.  He was marked (not tight, but his marker in-touch), so what did he do?  He stood still.  His marker continued running back towards goal, Chucka then had an easy passing option, sideways / slightly forward to Scott, who got it, opened his body, and sprayed a simple pass out to Norton-Cuffy bombing forward.

Just a simple example of his game maturity, and perhaps something he learned at Southampton, because Alan Ball snr, once said Matt Le Tissier is the best player at getting into space by standing still.  That wasn’t a dig at his laziness, it was a compliment of how some players think they have to run forwards, when your marker will always follow you.  By standing still your marker will often ease off getting tight, thinking you are no longer a danger.  It buys you time.

  • Like 5
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did you spot the bit in the first half when Chucka broke forward.  Most players would have broken forward thinking about receiving a through ball later on.  Not Alex Scott.  He was marked (not tight, but his marker in-touch), so what did he do?  He stood still.  His marker continued running back towards goal, Chucka then had an easy passing option, sideways / slightly forward to Scott, who got it, opened his body, and sprayed a simple pass out to Norton-Cuffy bombing forward.

Just a simple example of his game maturity, and perhaps something he learned at Southampton, because Alan Ball snr, once said Matt Le Tissier is the best player at getting into space by standing still.  That wasn’t a dig at his laziness, it was a compliment of how some players think they have to run forwards, when your marker will always follow you.  By standing still your marker will often ease off getting tight, thinking you are no longer a danger.  It buys you time.

Great insight Dave thanks.

I'd add his great appreciation of angles. Passing angles certainly but particularly the angle at which to receive the ball, including body position.

It's these kinds of skills that make it better to play him as an 8 than as a 10 imo.

He's only going to get better so I hope we get to see another year or two here before he moves onwards and upwards.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

Great insight Dave thanks.

I'd add his great appreciation of angles. Passing angles certainly but particularly the angle at which to receive the ball, including body position.

It's these kinds of skills that make it better to play him as an 8 than as a 10 imo.

He's only going to get better so I hope we get to see another year or two here before he moves onwards and upwards.

Agree with this and the quoted post.

Very very good at finding pockets of space and angles to receive the ball. Whilst long term he may end up playing as a '10' would br interested in seeing him play a bit deeper and link the play. Despite not playing much its something Nagy was very good at for us, receiving deep and snspping off forward passes. I know Afobe gets a lot of credit for Palmers initial form but actually think Nagy made just as big a contribution in those few games before his injury.

Scott next to Williams/James would be interesting to see albeit they would both have lots of defensive work to do. But if we can get the ball forward through the midfield quicker will make us a far better side

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Scott next to Williams/James would be interesting to see albeit they would both have lots of defensive work to do. But if we can get the ball forward through the midfield quicker will make us a far better side

If we were to play a more 352, than 3412 early season, due to WSM missing S, I think perming 3 of the following 5 gives us a decent midfield - Williams, James, Massengo, Scott and Sykes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Couldn't agree more - a method applied by myself in the twilight of my footballing days...

All this talk of pace & movement - it's overrated imo.

Something I never had, what's that all about :yawn:?

Edited by bpexile
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2022 at 22:29, phantom said:

The worry of course, after hearing about how the men's team all under performed due to burnout how much will we get out of Scott before he's overplayed into next season? 

Or will he treat the World Cup break as his off season? 

Different scenario completely.   England's top players have barely stopped since restart 2 years ago.  

That's why they look so ragged. Should've all been rested.

Scott has played most of a season, had probably a 3 or 4 week break and is now playing games.  He will also get at least 3 weeks off in November/ December.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...