IGNORED

Stefan Bajic - Signing confirmed

Finley_Smith10

36 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Could Bentley be off to Southampton then?

Based on nothing other than an inkling - with Forster off they only have McCarthy and 40 year old Cabellero. Bents would be a good back up and count as HG player. I believe he has been linked with Saints before

Southampton are linked with Man City’s Ireland International GK.  

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No idea why we would send O'Leary out on loan again. He is 26 shortly into the season, has had plenty of development loans, came back last season to challenge and was not good enough in my opinion. Either keep him if the club disagree with that or surely its time for him to make a career for himself in League One

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

O’Leary going on loan. Again. Just let him go on a free imo. What good is another loan doing for him at 25/26

He’s still relatively young for a goalkeeper. I also expect that he’s rated.

No harm done. He could have a great loan in L1 and replace Bentley if he goes for a decent fee the following season. Would make sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

O’Leary going on loan. Again. Just let him go on a free imo. What good is another loan doing for him at 25/26

It’s very difficult for a goalkeeper, basically you either play or you spend a hell of a lot of time on the bench. Max has done so around 100 times for us now.

In contrast any outfield player is In with a chance of filling in somewhere even if not necessarily their first choice position, but I do agree, Max will be 26 in October, he’s no longer a kid & if we don’t think he’s a viable number one option by now it is highly unlikely to change after that.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No point in letting him go on a free if we can find a club to loan him too and cover his wages. If Bentley leaves in 12 months and Max has had a progressive season on loan then we will be glad we didn’t release him 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nice to see so many people writing off Max.  Beggars belief this forum at times.  Young for a keeper and surely it’s clear to see he has a lot of strengths.  I remember when Semenyo was never going to be good enough….

Or when Weimann just ran around a lot :rolleyes:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Nice to see so many people writing off Max.  Beggars belief this forum at times.  Young for a keeper and surely it’s clear to see he has a lot of strengths.  I remember when Semenyo was never going to be good enough….

I like Max & would dearly love a local lad to be our first choice, but you’re not exactly comparing like for like here.

Semenyo really was a kid (19 or 20) when people were saying he wouldn’t make it (not going to lie, I wasn’t convinced myself & was 100% wrong), but as I said earlier Max will be 26 next season & has already had 3 different runs in the side amongst his 27 league appearances & we don’t appear to see him as a first choice.

A loan spell is either letting him down gently or kicking the can down the road, he’s highly unlikely to have a significant improvement in performance at 27, is he?

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I like Max & would dearly love a local lad to be our first choice, but you’re not exactly comparing like for like here.

Semenyo really was a kid (19 or 20) when people were saying he wouldn’t make it (not going to lie, I wasn’t convinced myself & was 100% wrong), but as I said earlier Max will be 26 next season & has already had 3 different runs in the side amongst his 27 league appearances & we don’t appear to see him as a first choice.

A loan spell is either letting him down gently or kicking the can down the road, he’s highly unlikely to have a significant improvement in performance at 27, is he?

Can work differently for a keeper.  How old was Basso when we signed him?  Max has played 50 league games, the same as Semenyo had before this season.  

The way I see it is given all the time o Leary has been at the club whilst Bentley has been here, and he’s been given playing time, he has not developed his ability beyond that of Bentley to completely oust him as first choice. Max has good points to his game but he is still not as good as Bentley and is of an age whereby he needs to be playing regularly as first choice. It’s simply time to move on to progress his career and allow younger new blood to challenge our best keeper

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Can work differently for a keeper.  How old was Basso when we signed him?  Max has played 50 league games, the same as Semenyo had before this season.  

Bentley was the same age as Max is now when he joined us. He had already played 100 games in the Championship by then. 

Bents is only 28 now, I’d rather have him for another 2-3 more years and then maybe look to have this new kid take over. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Writing off or sharing an opinion? Blimey fella, you are relentless against those who have a different view to you. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

It's an interesting one, he's got a decent youth career behind him and seems well thought of. Not a position most would of expected us to be recruiting for.

How long has MOL got left on his contract, 2 years? He needs a good 40+game loan somewhere to show improvements or i think that's possibly the end for him here. His age is now against him, the new guy could well be ahead of him development wise in just a season or 2.

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yes and I remember when about 50 other players were going to be top performers for us and then got quietly forgotten... what's your point?

Blindly back everyone because sometimes they come good when people don't rate them? Weird.

• Like 2

Just now, IAmNick said:

Yes and I remember when about 50 other players were going to be top performers for us and then got quietly forgotten... what's your point?

Blindly back everyone because sometimes they come good when people don't rate them? Weird.

Nope. Identify which ones have the potential to make it and back those. Simple 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Thankfully they are quite good at it. That’s why they will loan out Max and not just release him. 

Or we are loaning him out and having part/all of his wages covered until the end of the season and then going to release him, without having to pay up his final year?

I know nothing about this guy (and nor do most of us), but what we can know is that he’s clearly being brought in as number 2/to compete - he’s not a U23 signing as suggested.

This, therefore, is the end for O’Leary for me and I think that’s totally best for all parties. He’s not championship level and won’t develop to be such. The run in the team last year where we conceded 3 a game proved that. Max has an aversion to controlling his box and coming off his line, and if he was 21, you’d loan him out to see if he develops in that area. At 26 you don’t.

I know people always point to Max against Villa. To me, a good goalkeeper doesn’t have to make those saves as he controls his defence and box so most of the chances don’t occur. I don’t put stock in that therefore as a reason to keep.

I’d sell Max this summer if people are interested. As a fanbase I think we, as with other clubs, tend to value and find it hard to let go of players who have come though the ranks. It’s time to let go and if this is a newer, more professional and less emotional management approach I’m all for it.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I think loaning O'Leary suits all parties, he gets more game time and he isn't massively far off the required standard though I do feel it could be make or break for him. 

If he has a stand out season and breaks fully into the Irish squad then he has chance to come back and challenge for number 1 or we get a decent fee. If not then it probably is time to move on a play somewhere else as a number 1.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Rejoindre means to REJOIN.

Somebody having a laugh at us?

It doesn't, actually.

It is simply a nuance of the French language, just as to 'demand' somebody to do something, means simply to ask them.

One might 'joindre' a queue, or 'rejoindre', think of it as signing up for, a club.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Thanks 1