IGNORED

Semenyo out for 12 weeks

bcfc01

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree. Surprised many thinking not a huge deal. 3 months when the season starts in a month. Means he won’t be up to top form until October really. That will be around a quarter of the season before he is at his best. He’ll likely miss 5-7 games to start. We saw how our performances picked up in December when he got back fit and got some starts. 

When I saw the headline I thought most of the season, was a bit relieved tbh 

Semenyo is the only player we have with genuine pace and power and to be without him for any period of time will be hard.

I still think we've got quite a bit of business to sort out (both ins and outs) and Nige may be looking to bring in another forward.

The first 4 or 5 months of last season without Semenyo were pretty poor and i do think the few positive performances/results at the end have raised expectations. 

If Nige gets us near the top half next season he will have done well in my eyes.

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I can’t switch off my need to educate 

For Educate..........Read Pessimism. Ha!    I honestly believe that it reduces the likelihood of Antoine departing considerably.  He won' t be back properly until after the Whitewash Cup....then hopefully he will stay at least until Season 23/24...........I Optimistically state?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Do you honestly think football finished with the Hull game?

Weimann has just started the only fortnight that he is going to get off, Semenyo, Wells & Scott have been on international duty, too.

Quite possible that Antoine picked this up on duty for Ghana.

Only guessing Graham but ‘shin injury’ is most likely to be ‘shin splints’

Can flare up any time but likely to be a build up over the season

If shin splints , rest is only remedy, good news is , if it is , can disappear sooner than expected 

aimportant we get it right though or it’s likely to flare up again

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

If shin splints , rest is only remedy, good news is , if it is , can disappear sooner than expected 

I wonder if he may have “done it” v Sheff Utd in the penultimate home game???

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if he may have “done it” v Sheff Utd in the penultimate home game???

If it’s shin splints it’s inflammation that can , mainly for young men particularly , just spring up anytime but normally comes from a lot of running, so a build up effect that suddenly flares

(I repeat I don’t know it’s shin splints , but thee are limited injuries associated with the shin (A minor fracture , bone chip possibly)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

If it’s shin splints it’s inflammation that can , mainly for young men particularly , just spring up anytime but normally comes from a lot of running, so a build up effect that suddenly flares

(I repeat I don’t know it’s shin splints , but thee are limited injuries associated with the shin (A minor fracture , bone chip possibly)

Dasilva’s shin “splints” were eventually found to be a small fracture weren’t they?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Posted this in the Semenyo thread on the transfer sub-forum.

image.thumb.png.209fcb6db3a073047a83412fd8547a82.png

I love your optimism Dave but without Semenyo, the squad (as it stands) lacks offensive power. Whilst i really hope Weimann can replicate last season, his history tells us he won't, especially as I believe Semenyo was the catalyst for many of his goals last season.

The Champ looks (on paper) a pretty average league next year and there will be a few surprise teams that make the play offs. I truly hope we massively improve, but i still think Nige will have done really well if he gets us in to the top half.

1 minute ago, Edgy Red said:

I love your optimism Dave but without Semenyo, the squad (as it stands) lacks offensive power. Whilst i really hope Weimann can replicate last season, his history tells us he won't, especially as I believe Semenyo was the catalyst for many of his goals last season.

The Champ looks (on paper) a pretty average league next year and there will be a few surprise teams that make the play offs. I truly hope we massively improve, but i still think Nige will have done really well if he gets us in to the top half.

All about opinions ?.  Does Wells, Martin, Weimann, Scott (plus maybe Sykes) lack power (I take it you mean power as in goalscoring power rather than physical power per se?).  I don’t call it optimism, it’s just reflecting back on my thoughts over a period of months about the lack of balance we had last season…plus I don’t think Nige really wanted to play a back three either.

But we are gonna have to wait and see.  All part of the fun.  Never easy being a City fan is it?

Just now, Davefevs said:

All about opinions ?.  Does Wells, Martin, Weimann, Scott (plus maybe Sykes) lack power (I take it you mean power as in goalscoring power rather than physical power per se?).  I don’t call it optimism, it’s just reflecting back on my thoughts over a period of months about the lack of balance we had last season…plus I don’t think Nige really wanted to play a back three either.

But we are gonna have to wait and see.  All part of the fun.  Never easy being a City fan is it?

Completely agree Dave, it's all about opinions, but for me we do miss so much without Semenyo in the side.

Like i mentioned, Weimann had an outstanding goalscoring season last year which he hadn't produced in his career previously, but much of that was down to Semenyo and his running power which allowed us to play more in the final third.

Maybe Nige is planning a change in formation, or a more positive approach, but i stick by my prediction that a top half finish would be a big over achievement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Completely agree Dave, it's all about opinions, but for me we do miss so much without Semenyo in the side.

Like i mentioned, Weimann had an outstanding goalscoring season last year which he hadn't produced in his career previously, but much of that was down to Semenyo and his running power which allowed us to play more in the final third.

Maybe Nige is planning a change in formation, or a more positive approach, but i stick by my prediction that a top half finish would be a big over achievement.

I take solace from the team that evolved over last pre-season to the team that moved to 9th in the table after 8 games (12pts), that looked solid, if not exactly exciting….without Semenyo, but Scott not at RWB but in a midfield role or off Martin, Joe Williams in a team with James, Atkinson looking an assured signing, etc, etc.

Add Naismith and Wilson…plus Sykes who I’m trusting of the recruitment team…etc etc.

I’m not one who watches to see end to end stuff.  I saw us grinding stuff out in those early weeks, I quite liked it.  Injuries then hit, first Williams and King…Baker for a bit, then James too at various points.

I shan’t be making predictions until I see our squad and 23 others around the end of July…plus witness our pre-season! ?

I’d rather Semenyo wasn’t injured, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not like he will be out all season either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Very disappointing but it is what is. Opportunity for Wells, Conway or Bell. 

Unfortunately none of them have the same qualities as Semenyo, power and pace to bully and put the shits into defenders.

AS is a special talent and exactly why he’s in such demand.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I had shin splints earlier this year after increasing the amount of running. For me they subsided after 6/7 weeks, And I'm far from the level of durability of Antoine, so hopefully he's back sooner than anticipated

19 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure that’s true. If he’s out for 12 weeks then he will miss the first 6 weeks of the season and will then need some sort of pre season so probably misses 10 games. Also, a shin injury wouldn’t stop a team from still being interested in signing him. Players transfer clubs whilst injured all the time.  Medicals look at potential long term injuries more than short term 

There is a potential "2nd pre season" this year with the World Cup coming up. It will depend on whether he gets fit enough prior to that to be included in the Ghanian squad. 

If he goes to the WC, training in the Qatar heat would also help to get up to speed. Hopefully we get him back fully fit for post WC part of the season.

• Like 1